Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
suff
Regular

April 2004

7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Wed, 21 July 2004 15:45 Go to next message
I am planning to swap the heads and alike on my existing 7a-fe in an AE112R.

Current Plan is as follows (roughly)

Fit GZE Head and plumb in charger and oil cooler
New Head gasket
Fit GZE Sump
Fit uprated fuel pump

Hoping to stay with stock injectors, pistons and bottom end as I am not planning on massive boost, just something thats going to give me a bit more kick. Car is a daily drive, so plan to do the actual swap over a weekend, (prep'd before hand ofcourse) Is this realistic? Also trying to minimise cost!

I have read a few reviews on the web about ppl that have done this, but nothing indepth, has any one here done or seen anyone that has done this? Just want to make sure there is no nasty spurises before I go and find a front cut!

Also any pro's con's or suggestions are MORE than welcome!

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 15:49]

Send a private message to this user    
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Wed, 21 July 2004 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good in theory, but i wouldn't do it, 7A series is weak, your putting a stronger head on a weak bottom, don't get the turbo 7A mixed with the local, as i read they upgraded some internals.

Might as well spend your money on bolt-on kits. And upgrade the internals of the original, but thats $$$

Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Wed, 21 July 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure about running boost on a 7A engine, but if you wanna go down the GE route, there's this awesome article on Club4AG:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/5A%2 0and%207A.htm
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Wed, 21 July 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aaron willis (on several toyota lists) has built a 7age for his aw11. he has a conversion story and photo page. i host his website here:

http://te51levin.superjamie.net/
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Thu, 22 July 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that the 7A-FE and 4A-GE where the same block, but the 7A FE had thinner Conrods and non forged pistons???
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Thu, 22 July 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The blocks are different, the 7afe is taller. If you're going to be running the supercharger, you'll need to use either the gze ecu, or an aftermarket one.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Thu, 22 July 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, this has been covered many times, I was actually going to do this one time, a long time ago...

The block is taller, and you will need a variety of things different.. like a porsche 944? timing belt etc

Try here!
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Thu, 22 July 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 weekend? no way.
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Thu, 22 July 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not an xpert but dont u have to change the pistons aswell for the angle of the valves in the twin cam head..
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Fri, 23 July 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rv rolla you need a 944 timing belt because it is twin driven cam, rather than single driven cam and slave cam, hence longer loop

One weekend is realistic when the guy that is helping you is a retired mecho!

Any other ideas about easy engine upgrade then? (should probably put in there cheap as well!)
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Fri, 23 July 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Sat, 24 July 2004 01:38

rv rolla you need a 944 timing belt because it is twin driven cam, rather than single driven cam and slave cam, hence longer loop

Any other ideas about easy engine upgrade then? (should probably put in there cheap as well!)

Really? WOW! Rolling Eyes
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE to 7A-GE or GZE Conversion Check List Sun, 25 July 2004 09:16 Go to previous message
Laughing Laughing
Quote:

Sounds good in theory, but i wouldn't do it, 7A series is weak, your putting a stronger head on a weak bottom, don't get the turbo 7A mixed with the local, as i read they upgraded some internals.

Might as well spend your money on bolt-on kits. And upgrade the internals of the original, but thats $$$

Internals...They aren't any different to a stocker, The crank will hold, conrods, well, no bloody way will they handle anything past 10 psi, the design are crap (ie that's why I run aftermarket) the big end bolts in the rod are taped, unlike the GE's which are actual bolts!!

Quote:

One word... BULLSHIT, hasn't clue what's he's in for... I'm probably the only one here that can say yes I built one and had it running...
Firstly they aren't the same block, the 7A is
a)Taller
b) use a two piece sump
c) the shape where the sump bolts on each block is a different shape
secondly, if you slap the GZE head on, you'll wind up with a comp of less than 7:1, which is completely useless even for a S/c setup, you'll need to swap the pistons over, which by the way, aren't a direct swap either, 7A use and interference Gudgeon Pin. 4A's use a floating Gudgeon... you want the floating setup as they are less stressful on the pistons. Other things to consider, A/C, P/S and that all important alternator, which also won't fit once you've swapped heads... This was on an N/A version too, how are you going to run the S/C? everything on the 7A and GZE do sit in different positions,and not all the holes are in the same location either....I'm lucky I have full engineering workshop at my disposal to make and modify brackets for this stuff. what about the lower timing gear?, again the 7A and 4A are different, timing covers won't fit (I left them off!)
CAMSHAFT TIMING?? everywhere you read this needs to be set up properly, and its not just a matter of setting the engine to TDC and lining up the marks, sorry, you need to find the cam specs, then you'll need to know what lift that engine needs at TDC...ie you'll need dial indicators, vernier gears, that how I did it, but there are otherways too (And I did stuff it up too in the beginning!!) ECU, a standard 7AFE ECU WILL NOT support these engines, you can get away with a GZE one, but wiring it in alone will take a day or two if your experienced, A/M well even a baboon can do it within two days!! I'm sorry but these ARE the REAL issues... and there in NO WAY it can be done in a weekend unless you have 20 people running around!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supercharger Not Working?
Next Topic:3K-C engine mods
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 01:01:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069389343261719 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.