Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Lighten 2TG flywheel...?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Mon, 02 August 2004 11:39 Go to next message
Hey Guys,
i was just wondering about lightening my flywheel, (engine is out of car).
From what i can gather you get better acceleration but loose torque. is this correct?
is it worth doing?
how much and where do i get it done?
can i do it myself? (ambitious? Rolling Eyes )

Cheers, Sean.
  Send a private message to this user    
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Mon, 02 August 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't lose torque Rolling Eyes (where'd it go??) you lose inertia.

This can make the motor more responsive (less inertia to spin up when accelerating) but can also roughen the idle? (less inertia to keep the motor spinning smoothly between ignition events (especially in 4cyl)).

Is it worth doing? Maybe. If you compromise the structural integrity of the flywheel you may lose your legs when it breaks and comes through the floor Rolling Eyes though I'd expect that the majority of weight in a flywheel is just for ballast and not structurally required. You could probably safely remove some.

If you have to ask, no you can't do it yourself as it needs to be precicely balanced after the process.

Take it to a machining shop to be done (not Midas).

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Mon, 02 August 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2T-GEU had a lightened flywheel, when I bought it that is, so I'm not sure what it was like before, but car was pretty responsive.

Speak to "Pumpkin" about where he had it done.
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Mon, 02 August 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow Shocked that was fast! thanks for the quick replies guys.
I was keen, but didnt relise it was that dangerous.
Any idea on price?
if it doesnt have a big affect on performance ie accel, and it will affect idle (not keen to muck around with it), then i might give it a miss.
Thanks again, Sean.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Mon, 02 August 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would prefer as light a flywheel as my engine can idle with. the revs build quicker and you waste less power spinning it up, which means more power to the wheels

mine cost 80 bucks lightened and balanced, friend discount
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Tue, 03 August 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt loose torque, it looses torque holding ability.... means u dont have as much torque for getting up hills etc. but it does help acceleration.
lightening stock flywheels can be ok, but generally is never a good idea. it does often take away from the strength of the flywheel, which as has been said, can take off ankles.
but, there has been some very good jobs done over the years, but it requires research to find the areas that are safe to remove material from, but i dont like the idea of finding out the hard way:P
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Tue, 03 August 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a hand file for the next couple days Laughing

but its good to know the info as i wanted to know as well. guys what bout buying one brand new? can you get them? like racing flywheels if ts not too good to lighten stock ones?
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Tue, 03 August 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, there are plenty of companies that make lighter flywheels for things such as this.
like extreme clutch offer alloy, cr - mo or steel ones, all billet as far as i know...
they would be a good investment, i looked into them for the project supra.
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Tue, 03 August 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they make a huge difference to the revving of the engine.

the one on my 2tg is under 5kg, and it juust asks for more revs
ozboy
Regular

February 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Tue, 03 August 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have they really been known to take off ankles??? im not sure whether or not you guys are bein sarcastic... also im keen on getting it done 2with my new engine... but if im gonna lose my ankles... i think ill pass...
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Wed, 04 August 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

have they really been known to take off ankles??? im not sure whether or not you guys are bein sarcastic... also im keen on getting it done 2with my new engine... but if im gonna lose my ankles... i think ill pass...

aftermarket ones dont unless doing stupid amounts of revs with huge power ( usually ). they start to get too much intertia energy, and start to disintergrate.... something spinning at 7000 rpm disintergrating is just like exploding. thats why race cars have guards around the bell housings, and ballistic blankets etc.
but using a stock toyota cast flywheel and taking all the meat out of it isnt a good idea, they do have the tendancy to crack and can come apart, and brake through the alloy bell housing, through the floor and take of ankles..
there is quite a few people that have lost them this way. that is why i say lightening stock flywheels is a bad idea.... there is not too much wrong with aftermarket ones that are made to be lighter tho.
hope that cleared that up for u.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Thu, 23 September 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any idea how much you have to take off before it becomes dangerous? say i had a stock 2TG flywheel lightned by 1kg, would i expect to loose my ankles? and why not fit a ballistic blanket? seems like a pretty good option to me...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Thu, 23 September 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do it at your peril.
http://www.mymazdarotary.com/various_videos/mates_ rotary_videos/rotary_wagon_aftermath.avi
http://www.mymazdarotary.com/various_videos/mates_ rotary_videos/rotary_wagon_aftermath.avi
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Lighten 2TG flywheel...? Thu, 23 September 2004 04:38 Go to previous message
I would agree with GT Nod Don't take any shortcuts with flywheels, or you could end up just like the car above. I have seen several high-revving vehicles (especially rotaries) that have had similar undesired, yet spectacular, results.

On the other hand, if done properly, it certainly helps to get the engine revving, which can be particularly useful if your power band is higher in the rev range, or set-up to produce more power @ high RPM.

I know of a few IPRA vehicles (almost all IPRA cars run lightened flywheels) that have used these various people for flywheels/clutches:

http://www.xclutch.com.au/
http://www.rpw.com.au/
http://www.alloyrace.com/
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au

There may be more out there, who might also be cheaper, but these are a few that I have had good dealings with.
Hope this helps,
3T-GTE.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gearbox weights
Next Topic:1,2,3 gen injector colours
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:16:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054788589477539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.