Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18R-C Carby back firing?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
18R-C Carby back firing? Wed, 22 May 2002 11:31 Go to next message
When i start my RA23/18rc motor when its cold the carby back fires alot when i try to rev it, and it also sounds like its running on three cylinders (probably coz the choke isnt working)
When it warms up it sounds and runs ok except when i accelerate from down low in any gear the carby back fires once or twice then goes ok.
  Send a private message to this user    
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Wed, 22 May 2002 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be that it's slightly out of timing?
Would explain the backfiring and Sounding like it's running on three.

Check all your vacuum hoses, because they could be the cause of the bad timing.
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Thu, 23 May 2002 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 18RC does that on cold days sometimes, but not when its warm.

Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Thu, 23 May 2002 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get that all the time when it's cold too.
Im preety sure that its becuase my timing is out.
I really should get that fixed... Laughing

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Thu, 23 May 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get it bad too.. mostly in the cold but lately even when it's warm.. I think it's a combination of timing, vacum hoses, and it may have something to do with me bending the points last time I had the distributor cap off.. I straightened them asmuch as possible but alas... isn't it funny how we all seem to have the problem but the mighty 18r just carries on..
40cel
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Thu, 23 May 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you looked at the carby recently. Possibly the accelerator plunger needs replacing and the carby needs a once over. Check all the usual point gaps, leads, plugs, timing and valve clearances. If you need the specs, tell me. Try setting the timing around 10 degrees and see what happens then. Also check your idle mixture. The screw (as a rule of thumb) should be about 1 1/2 screws out. Before you change this though, count how many turns it is out so if it doesn't work you can go back to those settings. If all else fails, go to the mechanic. Also, if the air pump is connected, disconnect it, that will help.

Mark
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Thu, 23 May 2002 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When checking the timing which groove must line up to the notch thing? theres two close together and one a few mil along, mine is in line with the one a few mil along. I think the problem is a faulty accelarator pump/fuel plunger. But anyway im fittting a 32/36 weber soon, should solve these problems and give the puss motor a bit more power!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-C Carby back firing? Thu, 23 May 2002 13:48 Go to previous message
Looking down at the timing marks, TDC is the one on the left.
Im still unsure about what the other two close marks on the right represent.

I just adv mine as far as possible until it starts pinging, the back it off a bit.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mystery oil leak located....
Next Topic:2TGEU bore
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:26:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005634069442749 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.