Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Distinguishing crossmembers Sun, 22 August 2004 13:37 Go to next message
Has anyone got a picture of a ta23 crossmember. Going to try to hunt one down, and don't want an over eager wrecker to pass of a ta22/ra23 etc etc crossmember as what i'm really chasing.

If no pics, maybe a description of main differences between other old celica crossmembers?

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Sun, 22 August 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA23 crossmember curves towards the rear of the car, while the RA23 crossmember curves towards the front; they're basically a mirror image. Quite easy to spot the difference there.

A TA22 crossmember can be easily identified with the use of a tape-measure, as it's narrower than the xA23 crossmembers.

The best way is to locate a TA23 in a wrecking yard, point at the crossmember and say, "I want THAT one." It's the only way to be sure when you're dealing with slack-jawed bad-teeth inbred wrecker types.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Sun, 22 August 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Given the apparent rarity of the ta23 crossmember, from what you've described, has anyone been successful in merely flipping the ra23/28 crossmember around, so it curves toward the back of the car, even with some modification of the bolt holes?

I figure someone would have done this by now, if it were that easy.

You can probably already guess that i'm trying to find out the best option to clear a front sump 1g-gte.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Sun, 22 August 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is a pic of my TT132 crossmember

i am 99% sure its exactly the same as the TA23

its kind of for sale... im not sure what to do with it...

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/tt132.jpg
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can someone do the same with a TA23 crossmember to confirm?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sure looks the same as the TA23 xmember I have , except the mounts are different.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 August 2004 00:56]

munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks similar to mine too except the mounts.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bolt spacings are the same (ra28), can anyone get the other dimensions?
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine isnt in a car what measurements do you need?

Daniel
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The same as pictured, front bolt to front bolt, rear bolt to rear bolt, and the bolt spacings, plus confirm that the mounts on the underside for the wishbones are 600mm apart.

If the ta23 measurements are the same as the tt132 xmember above, then I can be fairly sure that this tt132 xmember will fit an ra28?
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got 115mm b/w bolts

755mm and 735mm

all measureing centre to centre of the bolt holes.

so depending on where rob_ra40 measured the measurements are the same. cant say about the mounts they are totally different and the lower control mounts dont know if they are the same as in pic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
His show 735 and 745, you quoted 735 and 755, is there an error somewhere?

Pic of rob_RA40's lower control mounts (?)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/tt13201.jpg
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Mon, 23 August 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah thats the measurements i got centre to centre of the holes.

I dont know where rob got his measurements but thats how i got mine.

it is roughly 600 i got 585ish but the tape was slightly bent so it could well be 600
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Tue, 24 August 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my opinion you are gonna spend just as much driving around and looking for a crossmember from a ta23 and then buying it as you would just modding your sump and mounts to fit your ra28 crossmember so why not just use that???
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Distinguishing crossmembers Tue, 24 August 2004 09:53 Go to previous message
I was chasing the TA23 crossmember, as I don't believe the front sump 1g-gte can be modded to fit over the ra28 crossmember, and the front sump was the superior design to the mid/mid-rear sumps. Or so i'm told.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:toyota ke35 sr model???
Next Topic:Do I NEED a TPS?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 18:10:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050628185272217 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.