Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 04:41 Go to next message

Withe the old 5ME, I always kept a 5l drum of petorl in the boot for emergencies.

Now that I have a more fuel-sensitive 1JZ running premuim ULP, I was wondering how long the petrol in the can would stay 'fresh' for?

cheers,
Justin
JZA61
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celia-Sue wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 14:41

Withe the old 5ME, I always kept a 5l drum of petorl in the boot for emergencies.

Now that I have a more fuel-sensitive 1JZ running premuim ULP, I was wondering how long the petrol in the can would stay 'fresh' for?

cheers,
Justin
JZA61

i find bp ultimate never goes too bad(just from driving car)
but stuff like caltex vortex i can feel it going shitty within a week of being in the car
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha dong of the week award goes to johal for running vortex in his 1jz!!!!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha i had to tell mike not to use it!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abit off topic but we ran fuel in the outboard that had been sitiing there for 10 years plus, so i guess it still will work but the question is how well?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 19:21

haha i had to tell mike not to use it!

Mike is a massif dong Cool
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petrol has no real shelf life but it would be a good idea to filter it once a week... you will notice that petrol that sits for a while has all the crap you dont want settle to the bottom

Rolling Eyes whats wrong with caltex? i prefer shell and caltex over the others! i find i get smooth accel and mileage with shell and good power through accel with caltex
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me, what do you think the RON rating of Optimax, Synergy and Bp Ultimate is?

And what about vortex?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 18:14

haha dong of the week award goes to johal for running vortex in his 1jz!!!!

this was in my 1g geu, i would never do such evil things to my 1j... 1j is on a strict ultimate diet
vortex is like 96 ron and dies in the ass quickly... bp ultimate is true 98 ron and doesent seem to fade...

i dont tihnk i could tell in my 1j car(cause the vortex after a week made a slow car, REALLY slow!) because its fast and has stupid ammounts of wheel spin no matter what
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only reason it got slower was because you had more lower octane fuel in the tank at the end of the week and the ecu had killed the timing to offset the shitty fuel
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 21:37

Tell me, what do you think the RON rating of Optimax, Synergy and Bp Ultimate is?

And what about vortex?

woouldnt know cuase im a LRP man ATM
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 09:13

And what about vortex?

i hope that means ur 3t gte car isnt running?.. and ur putting it in another car?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 09:19

fade-e wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 09:13

And what about vortex?

i hope that means ur 3t gte car isnt running?.. and ur putting it in another car?

Crying or Very Sad unfortuneately yeah the gte hasnt even been started yet cause iv had to fix a few things in the 3T daily driver which is using LRP

got the next 2 days off so hopefully ill get everything organised and then call sideshow to wire it up and start it *fingers croseed all goes well*
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 20:56

petrol has no real shelf life

Shocked

Petrol most certainly does have a shelf life; the longer you leave it the more it deteriorates. Some of the components of petrol are extremely volatile, notably some of the agents used to raise the octane in high-octane fuels.

<rant>
If you're not sure of the answer, don't just make shit up. Some poor sucker is going to read what you've written and believe it!
</rant>
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Mon, 23 August 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but the volatility is experienced when exposed to the atmosphere but in a jerry can it has nowhere to evaporate/deteriorate as it is all sealed...

hence why you can put uel in a jerry can as it doesnt leak to atmosphere and potentially blow up
racerx
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Tue, 24 August 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 07:48

fade-e wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 20:56

petrol has no real shelf life

Shocked

Petrol most certainly does have a shelf life; the longer you leave it the more it deteriorates. Some of the components of petrol are extremely volatile, notably some of the agents used to raise the octane in high-octane fuels.

<rant>
If you're not sure of the answer, don't just make shit up. Some poor sucker is going to read what you've written and believe it!
</rant>

For the purpose of 10 litres spare in the boot to get you out of trouble, then I wouldnt be to concerned about leaving it for a long time. I wont be as good, but will get you out of trouble.

For the purpose of performance, then if will DEFFINATLEY have some effect on the fuel over time.

I know its beside the point but FYI when adding oil to petrol (sythetic or otherwise) it rapidly reduces the life of the fuel, ever tried to start a lawnmower with fuel from 2 years ago in it? very hard to start and has no power. For that you can buy an additive for when you know your fuel will be sitting for a long time, STA-BIL is one type and keeps it "fresh" apparently

dan.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2004 01:32]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shelf (Jerrycan) Life of ULP? Tue, 24 August 2004 02:31 Go to previous message
FYI:

http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuels/bp_ultimate/in fo.asp

Quote:

STORAGE LIFE

When stored under appropriate conditions the storage life of BP Ultimate 98 is 1 year. Note that the volatility of BP 98 will change monthly according to season.

I never said you couldn't store the stuff for a while, I was simply responding to the statement that "petrol has no real shelf life". Obviously not true according to the above.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:who owns the black 86?
Next Topic:NSW newest customisable number plates
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:14:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006342887878418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.