mcnicol
Occasional Poster

September 2003
18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Mon, 06 September 2004 13:01 Go to next message
Anyone able to tell me:

What do I need to do the conversion?
What is it all likely to cost?
Where can I get it all from?

Are there any other differences difference between an 18RG and 18RGEU?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Mon, 06 September 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This has been covered before so if you take the time to do a search you'll find everything you need to know. In short though, you'll need the manifold/plenum and associated gear, thermostat housing, EFI fuel pump, EFI-spec fuel hose and fittings, and of course an ECU of some description (either the original one or aftermarket).

As for where to get it, keep your eye on the forsale section, this sort of thing pops up occasionally.
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: 18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Tue, 07 September 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18RG 9.7:1 18RGEU 8.5:1 compression ratios differ. Also some inlet manifolds differ there are short no water heated, there are long throw water heated to suit the carby models depending on which model the engine came from. RA40's had very little space to the strut towers so I guess the manifold is shorter than the RT series Corona which did not use struts so the manifold had a longer throw.
have seen different balance tubes used also some integral and some external again over 10 years there were a lot of different 18RG's engines developed for three series of celica GT's and sundry Corona Carina models..There is a link to I think is davos pages with every combination of every model of every Toyota engine ever made. If I can find it I'll post it.

This is not the one but its a start..

18RG DOHC 2 chain ?? 1990 140 ?? 89 80 9.7:1
18RGEU DOHC 2 chain ?? 1990 120 ?? 89 80 8.3:1
18RGR DOHC 2 chain ?? 1990 130 ?? 89 80 9.2:1
18RGRU DOHC 2 chain ?? 1990 125 ?? 89 80 9.2:1
18RGU DOHC 2 chain ?? 1990 120 ?? 89 80 8.7:1

http://www.toyota-mods.org/engines.txt

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 07:08]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Tue, 07 September 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
talk to a guy, not sure of his user name but type in 'megasquirt' into the search forum thing
mcnicol
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Tue, 07 September 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the conversion from carby on a high compression engine to efi, need any other issues considered if the efi gear was designed for a lower compression engine?

mcnicol
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Tue, 07 September 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've also read some posts on ULP vs leaded and PULP. Does the compression issue come into this inthe converswion to efi?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG Carby to EFI Conversion Tue, 07 September 2004 13:40 Go to previous message
1. The early EFI systems like this are very flexible; they don't have fuel maps like modern EFI, in fact they're much like an electronic carby. The system will work fine with higher compression after a good tune on a chassis dyno.

2. These engines are generally happier on high-octane fuel, like Optimax or BP Ultimate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:BRAKES FOR 180BHP TA22
Next Topic:Preferred Fuel used on 2TG
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:02:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00571608543396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.