Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Tue, 14 September 2004 10:37 Go to next message
I have reposted this quote from my own post in another thread because i have seen this debate come up three or four times while i have been interested in the AE86 here on Toymods.
This is my own conclusions from seeing 6 Safety21 cages, owning a CAMS manual, and speaking to some people far more experienced than i in cage building.

Admins: if this is seen as provocative then feel free to close it. I hope it wont turn into a fight, but merely a presentation of the facts.

Quote:

Quote:

From Cusco Site
*40mm chrome molybdenum pipes used 33% percent lighter that a similar steel roll bar.
*Lightweight joints used Increased safety with competition roll bar layout.
*Mounted such to increase body rigidity.
Our bar layout is designed from extensive experience. Bar structures based on feedback from the track that looks good as it's effective. Designed from our extensive experience, the rigidity seen in the interior extensive piping is a feedback from our racing experience.

I have something to add regarding this.
The supposed safety21 cage is more like a "safe"ty 21 cage. It is nothing more than a cosmetic cage which will do nothing in the case of a roll over accident, which is what a cage is designed to protect the driver from. The 40mm Chromoly pipe is thinner than even the mild steel (read: stronger, less brittle, more impact absorbing) which CAMS require on their cages. The minimum thickness for a CAMS compliant cage is 44.45mm, and 2.5mm pipe wall (Schedule J, Section 4). The 40mm thickness is way under this. In addition im 99% sure that the June update stated that Chromoly cages must be at least 1.5 to 2 times the physical thickness/size as their mild steel equivalents in order to compensate for the lack of strength.

Secondly, the safety21 cage design only complies to 3 of the 22 CAMS ROPS specifications, and as such does not comply as a CAMS cage. Not only that, but the welds on a Safety21 cage are flimsy at best and the last one i saw had cracking in the rear stay and main hoop welds a mere 2 months after it was installed. In addition, the cage is a bolt in cage, with no reinforcement to the floor. In the case of a rollover accident, it is highly likely that the cage will tear through the sheet metal which makes up the floor of an AE86. All of the safety21 cages that i have inspected (around 5-6) have not even been mounted to the chassis rails, and rather straight to the sheet metal floor. This is a design flaw, not an install flaw, because the design is such that it can never be bolted to the chassis rails as this woudl impede the driver/navigator. However, it is possible on the main hoop and the rear hoop if not the front hoop. In the case of a rollover the cage is actually more likely to cause serious injury to the driver/passenger than protect from anything.

Thirdly, with the mounting design there is no lateral support except in the roof, therefore the lateral mounts (floor) are more likely to shear the bolts under a side impact rather than add anything to the structural rigidity of the car. In addition i would question their stability in heavy cornering, as there are no horizontal stays or supports lower than the roof. As far as structural rigidity the A-spec bar would be quite superior to the Cusco cage.

In addition the design with the pipework moulded around the front of the dash is merely adding stress points which the already brittle Chromoly does not need adding to. The hoop legs should be as straight as possible without major stress points, otherwise stress fractures are likely to develop.

Also the complete lack of diagonal crossbracing does not lead me to conclude that there is any significant torsional (N-S) rigidity in this cage at all. In addition this immediately disqualifies it from being a CAMS certified cage.

I hope this short expose gives you a small insight into why i absolutely do not trust the "safe"ty 21 cage, and certainly would not make my life depend on it. Sure if you want a cosmetic cage, which looks nice, and may add some minor rigidity go ahead and spend your $800 on it. But i wouldnt poke it with a barge pole.
I have nothing against Cusco, and infact i quite admire some of their products, and use them on my car. But having blind faith in a product because its blue (or any other manufacturer's colour) and comes with a shiny sticker (and lets face it, the metal stickers are nice and shiny) is foolish in my eyes. A product should stand on its own merits, not be supported by a shiny brandname.

Send a private message to this user    
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Fri, 17 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey I'm gonna stick this back near the top of the list, cause I'm interested in someone replying to this

(Even though I'm not installing a CAMS cage in my own car.)
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Fri, 17 September 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I replied in that thread - may as well have PVC pipe and zip ties! If anything it's just another item that you can hit your head on in an accident.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Fri, 17 September 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the above comments on the cosmetic cage has pretty much covered everything i have been saying - buy at your peril!!!!

T
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sat, 18 September 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without having had any direct experience with the safety21 cages, I do have one query on something you said.

Quote:

The minimum thickness for a CAMS compliant cage is 44.45mm, and 2.5mm pipe wall (Schedule J, Section 4). The 40mm thickness is way under this. In addition im 99% sure that the June update stated that Chromoly cages must be at least 1.5 to 2 times the physical thickness/size as their mild steel equivalents in order to compensate for the lack of strength.

I think you may have this the wrong way. Chromoly is specifically stronger than mild steel. (Hence the price). The trade off for that price is of course, less weight and less physical/visual obstruction for the same cage performance etc.

Mind you, I haven't read CAMS 2004 so maybe someone took a disliking to that material. Razz

I guess the best thing would be to hear from someone who has been through a bad off with one of these cages. If they're still around Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 18 September 2004 01:11]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sat, 18 September 2004 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree. is more exxy due to the chromium content more than anything, but also the molybdenum and the lower volumes etc.

chromoly is higher in strength than mild steel by a fair margin.. what do you think they make sports sedan frames, sprint car frames, and light aircraft engine mounting structures from?

It is the diameter and thickness of a tube that will increase strength of a cage. the wall thickness of chromoly will not need to be as that of mild steel for it to be as strong, BUT, decreasing tube diameter also decreases the bending strength (for want of a better term) and stiffness/rigidity of the structure.

that said... the design of a cage is everything. a different material for the cage only requires changes to pipe wall thickness (and maybe pipe diameter).

BUT...

http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_rollbar.html

the safety21 cage is made from
Quote:

SAFETY 21 roll bars and roll cages are made in steel using cold drawn seamless carbon steel.

http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_media3/e_s21_sp.gif
the other cages are moly....

hmmmm
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i hear they work well.
ive seen the videos from cusco, and they hold up

probably not CAMS compliant, but what is these days....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 14:30

something better?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 20:14

ae86drift wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 14:30

something better?

ahh, maybe. but more likely? something more expensive
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much is your life worth? Surely it can't be that much more expensive, there are so many cars with CAMS compliant rollcages, that the price difference is just not worth it.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the safety 21 cage has survived many flips/crashes in manymany option/drifttengoku videos ive seen and also on the cusco vid!

it seem to work fine as far as i have seen.
but please prove me wrong! Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen people walk away from flips/crashes with no rollcage at all... but that's kind of missing the point isn't it?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think we are trying to prove the effictiveness (if any) of the 'safe'ty 21 cage in a roll over impact
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bags not being the test bunny, or vehicle donor....
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Sun, 19 September 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 23:08

bags not being the test bunny, or vehicle donor....

seconded haha Laughing
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Mon, 20 September 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think if your going to go to the trouble of getting a roll cage or half cage etc then you might as well get a cams compliant one.

They are not that hard to get done and there are plenty of options as far as design goes in Schedule J.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Cusco Safety21 Cage - Opinions Tue, 21 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous message
The best thing you can use a Safe'ty 21 cage for is as a template to make a CAMS compliant cage.
If you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet, or so the saying goes...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Import ST182/4/5's - Airbags in overseas models?
Next Topic:A4-C To A4-GE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:36:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060830116271973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.