Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 12:54 Go to next message
Hi all,

I'm having no luck with getting my tacho to work with the new engine. Maybe i'm just not seeing it, but I cant for the life of me work out where to send the tacho signal! Not to mention my inability to work out where to get the signal from. I suppose the wire on one of the plugs might be it right?

And why would a 1G-GTE be hunting at idle speed, but running fine with any throttle?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Induction leak somewhere ?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess it could be, i'll know tommorow since i'm going to re-do the clamps.

Any more ideas?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't you need a "tacho-modulator" or something to translate the signal?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do I?

My car had a 6 cylinder originally, and now it has another...

The coil was originally one of those oil filled ones with ignitor strapped on top of it, now it's a transformer coil, but surely it still sends out the same pulse?

I dunno, thats why i'm asking Smile
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say you don't have the correct wire connected. The tacho signal from the 1GGTE is the same as the original engine. Check your wiring.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get it straight out of the coil w/ ignitor from ur 1g.. one of the lines going to it
thats where i got it for my 1j
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Wed, 29 September 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what I was thinking actually Smile

Thanks!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yah, as far as all these people needing a tacho booster for the 1jz.. i dont see why they wasted the money
oh well Smile
tell us if it works
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Narp, no go!

Can a MA61 owner please check where the tacho signal wire is in the engine bay? Or tell me where it is? I just want to confirm before I go insane.

I tried hooking up a crappy aftermarket tacho (cheapo one) and it wouldnt read, i tried one of those tach/dwell things too and it was reading 6000rpm Smile

This is getting annoying.
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a wire coming off the ecu plug that is a tacho signal wire output, Dave wired this to my autometer tacho.
all you need to find out is which wire on your tacho is the signal wire and connect it to the ecu tacho signal wire.

Brendon
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
somewhat similar question

can an aftermarket tacho be connected to the 1g-gte engine i ave the elctronic dash and want to connect a analouge style (with needle) tacho

id still like to keep the original tach o as well

so iil be runing two tachos

wil this be possible

thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2004 09:24]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 18:02

Narp, no go!

Can a MA61 owner please check where the tacho signal wire is in the engine bay? Or tell me where it is? I just want to confirm before I go insane.

I tried hooking up a crappy aftermarket tacho (cheapo one) and it wouldnt read, i tried one of those tach/dwell things too and it was reading 6000rpm Smile

This is getting annoying.

all u need to do to check is get a test light.. hook the clip onto wire and run it against some metal and it will flicker and shit on tacho(if urs is dig)
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

If you have a look in Gallery on this site you will find the pin outs for the taco.

Craig
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 30 September 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll play with it more tommorow...

I think the AFM is dodgy!! The ECU spat out an error code relating to the air intake temp sensor... i believe this is built into the AFM (cant see it been anywhere else Smile)

Anyone got a spare good AFM they wanna lend me?
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Fri, 01 October 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno if you've sorted this already but...

The tach would've taken signal from the -ve terminal on your old oil filled coil (I think, I don't have much experience with the MA61) this can either be attached to the tach signal that comes through the firewall (one of the pins on the 3 plugs that are next to the ECU plugs) or, from memory, the middle wire that enters the coil on the 1G coil. I had it hooked up like this before I realised there was a signal wire in the cabin. just test it first with a pin through the insulation.

if you want to test you have the right wire for your tacho, you could always rapidly hit it against an earth to get a signal? i dunno how the digi dash will like it though, ask someone else first...

Tim.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Fri, 01 October 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah what he said, the MA61 tacho expects an analog signal from the coil. Provided you have the correct wire hooked up the the correct terminal on the coil, it should work. You can't use the digital tacho signal from the ECU unless you use one of Grant's magical tacho boosters (which I'm using on the 2JZ).
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Fri, 01 October 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using an analogue instrument cluster.

I think i've got the right wire on the 1G-GTE coil (which is a transformer coil?), the black one?

I will get pics tommorow.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Sat, 02 October 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Analogue intstrument cluster works the same as digital... they both expect an analog signal from an ignition coil.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Sun, 03 October 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here, I found my coil, and my camera, both at the same time. Then I got confused, cause it seems I have striped 2 wires comming off the coil, some trial-and-error it seems. I can assure you one of these wires will give you the signal. I would assume the black one, seeings we're looking for a -ve signal, but I probably thought that in the first place then it may have been wrong, necessitating me stripping the blue wire to have another go.
http://users.dart.net.au/~cooltim/1ggte%20coil.JPG
Good luck.

Tim

[Updated on: Sun, 03 October 2004 04:10]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok, thanks. So I take the signal directly from the coil instead of off the ignitor?

Taking it from the ignitor signal wire seems to not work.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, now hurry up and go outside and try it.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 13:31

Ahh ok, thanks. So I take the signal directly from the coil instead of off the ignitor?

Taking it from the ignitor signal wire seems to not work.

Ignitor signal should work.

Every other wiring diagram I've looked at has a tacho output built into the ignitor.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should work, but didn't!

Both the blue and black wires on the coil caused the tacho to read RPM Smile But only under a no-load situation. As soon as I started to rev the engine a bit, the tacho jumped around as if it wasnt getting enough signal.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm...I can't remember if I actually drove the car with it hooked up like that...

Any reason you can't take the signal from the wiring harness??

(Don't you hate it when you go to look at some 1G wiring and realise you haven't installed acrobat reader so you have to find a cd with it on and....blahblahblah...) (then you reach for the closest commercially prouced cd's only to find out it's the only on in the WORLD that doesn't have it...)

here, try this

http://users.dart.net.au/~cooltim/pins.jpg

I think it's where I had mine hooked up when I was driving.

That reminds me of something funny, when I first wired it up, I had the coil powered from the dash electrics, so whenever the engine got over 4.5K the dash fuse would blow and kill the engine...

Tim.

PS sorry for my dribble back there, it's late and I'm up to my 8th Initial D ep straight. Good Luck.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That wire is a direct wire to the ignitor tacho signal wire, and the -IGN wire on the diag connector... tried it already, no go.

Funny thing - whenever I used the indicators the tacho would suddenly work, but only when the lights were on, whenever the flashed off, the tacho would go silly again...

I hate electrics.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 23:56

Funny thing - whenever I used the indicators the tacho would suddenly work, but only when the lights were on, whenever the flashed off, the tacho would go silly again...

Then check the earths.
I wouldn't be surprised if the tacho is earthing through the indicator circuit.

Does the tacho work fine with the parking lights on too?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Thu, 07 October 2004 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, I was testing it with the lights on Razz
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE and GA61 tacho Fri, 08 October 2004 00:21 Go to previous message
yeah, it's a electrical gremlin mate. Check the tacho wiring under the dash.

Tim.

(by the way I ended up watching the entire initial d season 2 last night...I just got hooked.)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18R-G pointless dizzy fit in 2tg?
Next Topic:Holley Vs Carter Fuel pumps
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:21:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075588226318359 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.