Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Wed, 06 October 2004 12:46 Go to next message
I can't put up with the racket coming from my 1JZ anymore. Its too loud at idle, driving and drones a bit at freeway speeds. Curently the exhaust is 3.5" with a single straight through Dynomax muffler. Today I had a 3" hotdog fitted but this made no difference whatsoever. I also got the exhaust guy to test a 3.5" dynomax resonator by slipping it over the tailpipe, but this made no difference too. Is my only option going to a conventional type muffler and losing a bit of powah? Any other ideas?

What exhaust systems are you other 1JZ guys running and whats the sound like?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Wed, 06 October 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange, because most 1JZ's with stock turbos I've heard have usually been pretty quiet even with an open exhaust. Probably need to look carefully at the actual design of the exhaust itself, or if you're desperate, put one of those throttle valve thingy's in the exhaust.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Wed, 06 October 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loving the lack of noise from my stock Cressida I have gone to some trouble to muffle the noise from the 1j without hindering performance [yet to be seen]
Twin 2.5 all the way.Three mufflers in all.Should be quiet.
Cheers.Pete. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 10:06]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Wed, 06 October 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Twin system is not an option, short wheelbase 4wd's dont have a whole lot of room underneath. How much do you reckon a cat would help, are they readily avaliable in 3.5"?
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Wed, 06 October 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that the internals of majority of Hi Flow Cats is the same regardless of inlet/outlet.Apparently cats can block up a little so I am hoping to gain from having two.
When I was making enquiries about a custom stainless muffler to fit your available space the price was about $300.Could be an option? -major edit-too many beers. Cheers.Pete.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 10:13]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Wed, 06 October 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd recommend a quiet muffler on the end.
Restrictions have more effect on performance the closer they are to the engine, so if you put a big restriction (quiet muffler) right on the end of the system, you almost certainly wont notice any downgrade in performance.

As an idea, I have a single 3" exhaust, no cat, and a standard oval muffler on the end (dont know/care about brand). At idle, the car sounds dead standard. At low throttle (crusing), the car has a gentle hum to it, very nice. once the turbos spool up and I hit a bar of boost it makes a decent bit of noise... but when you're using that sort of power, the noise makes it more fun Very Happy
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Thu, 07 October 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Skip,

Give me a call on the weekend and have a listen to my car - 3" system with twin resonators, cannon muffler. Very quiet at idle.

Justin
onemxracer
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Mon, 11 October 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the drowning noise is because its 3.5 inch... i had my setup too start with was 3 inch straight thru with straight thru 3 inch muffler with twin 2 1/2 tips.. sounded awesome except didnt meet noise restrictions. so i had to quieten it to pass it.. put a 3 inch straight thru muffler on it and it quietened it done nicely also had to put a cat on to pass engineeres report so i cut in a vs commodore cat, but its coming off straight away...btw my 1jz is single turbo conversion.. good luck on gettin ur exhaust note to your likeing..
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Ideas on Quieting Down 1JZ Exhaust Mon, 11 October 2004 08:01 Go to previous message
My exhaust is very loud and droney, even with a resonator on it. It didn't seem to do much. The Apexi Dunk muffler is very loud.

The easiest way to quieten it down is to get a different muffler.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Pioneer Deck Wiring - Yellow and Red
Next Topic:Microtech and 4-wire stepper (Draven?)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:31:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044398307800293 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.