Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How difficult is it to bend a strut ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Fri, 08 October 2004 20:02 Go to next message
How difficult is it to bend a strut ?

Need to fix camber on a non - camber adjustable car ..

or is there an easier / better way ..

(how much are camber kits anyway?)
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Fri, 08 October 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some suspension places do it often - is not very expensive. Camber kits start about $200odd and get dearer from there.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will they bend it and then check what the camber is at ? i should hope so ey ? lol
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its illegal to bend suspension components.
you could just use camber tops to balance up the camber though
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Sat, 09 October 2004 13:17

its illegal to bend suspension components.
you could just use camber tops to balance up the camber though

well there must be some illegal suspension shops out there because I know a few that do it Rolling Eyes

btw, camber tops are a lot more expensive than bending the struts....oh and how on earth would they be able tell you had them bent? Its not like its going to be obvious a couple of degrees extra camber now...

Cheers
Wilbo
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt bend struts, if you want dodgy camber increasing, slot oyur strut top holes in your car, or extend the bottom control arms, which isnt very dodgy at all if done correctly.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a pedders store offer to bend them for free when i changed all sus there a year or so ago. not very good to do though...

thankfully im not worried bout suspension yet
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tha same problem les I am Getting my control are modified so I can put shims in it to adjust the camber

BEN
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm I might do it the "legal" way then

the thing is, it is already bent ... from the acco im presuming, so i would only be BENDING IT BACK to its orig position true ?? Very Happy
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not find a strut from a wrecker
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bending struts is ver common in racing circles... it's not as dodgy as it sounds if done correctly.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sat, 09 October 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the struts in my KE70 done a few weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier. Camber went from +2 back to -2.5 per side, which sounds brutalll horriffic, but it works and works well, and I even took the struts out afterwards to have a look for any dangerous looking points, and it seems just fine.. My only advice would be to avoid Pedders and go to someplace that actually knows at least something about suspension to do it - it may even cost a few $ more, but hey.. A lot of people bag out strut bending as being a big evil, but anywhere I've seen it done it's been fine. That said, I also believe that it's desirable to have some kind of adjustment as well, e.g. strut tops, so that you can set the car up just how you like it.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sun, 10 October 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 - sorry ae95 i forgot to mention that i wanted the camber different different from stock ... so if i get a new strut, chances it may not be exactly -2.5, so i will need to bend OR buy a set of camber tops

norbie - u know any good places in sydney that does it ?

mr shin - u know any places in sydney to do it (DAMM U non sydney people ! hehe)

[Updated on: Sun, 10 October 2004 02:04]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sun, 10 October 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ick. Sydney. Shocked
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sun, 10 October 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car i sponsor has strut bend and cut springs...he just runs REALLY good shocks all is good.....
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sun, 10 October 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sat, 09 October 2004 23:36

My only advice would be to avoid Pedders and go to someplace that actually knows at least something about suspension to do it - it may even cost a few $ more, but hey..

I don't necessarily agree. Pedders is operated as a franchised business chain. This attracts two types:

1. Business people.
2. Suspension technicians.

The business person goes through a basic programme and is given some 'how suspension systems work' books and buys a franchise, hiring others to run it for him day by day and taking little interest in the operational side of the business. Such a model is hit-and-miss when you want more than the 'fully Pedders suspension' for your VK (ie. springs and dampers), especially if the boss is the kind not to hire anyone who knows more than him... Rolling Eyes

The suspension technican does it because it is what he is into. He knows his stuff and is always interested to learn new things and analyse what he learns. He runs a suspension shop becasue it's satisfying to be able to do something he's into and good at and make money on it too.

I've been through two Pedders places relatively local to me, and found one example of each of the above models.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sun, 10 October 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooooooooooooooook

but i need someonw that will be dodge, and generally franchised businesses are more "professional" (dont shoot me) and probably will not do something that is outside the square if u know what i mean ....

let me make some calls tomorrow and i will tell u all how it goes !

thanks guys Razz Razz
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Sun, 10 October 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 'quality' Pedders guy suggested it. I was skeptical, but he says he does it to Commodore's all the time to correct the camber angle.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Tue, 02 November 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark im so lazy, have not made calls yet ..

how much did it cost you (if u got your struts bent) to get them done ??

how accurate can they do it ?? can u tell them i want +2 neg camber and they can bend it to exactly that ??
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Tue, 02 November 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get some camber adjusting bolts or strut tops installed if you want accurate and variable camber settings.
I got two sets (front and rear) from Whiteline and if I remember correctly they were only about $80 a set.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How difficult is it to bend a strut ? Tue, 02 November 2004 10:43 Go to previous message
need a cheaper fix man !
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:k engine question
Next Topic:T-series limo Q
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:30:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074751377105713 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.