Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Converting a 1GGTE to 1GGZE Coil Pack Ignition Tue, 12 October 2004 01:29 Go to next message
Looking into removing the Dizzy from a 1GGTE, and running a coil pack ignition setup from a 1GGZE - while still using the standard gen 3 (I believe) 1GGTE computer. Can it be done, and if so who has done it? Tricks and traps for the unwary traveller are also welcome?!
  Send a private message to this user    
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Converting a 1GGTE to 1GGZE Coil Pack Ignition Tue, 12 October 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, my initial impression would be no, and the simple reason for that is this.

To run coil packs you must have some form of CAS (Crank or Cam) to tell the ECU where the engine is.

A 1g-gZe must have one of these to tell the ECU where the engine is and which coil to fire. I THINK it has a CAM Angle Sensor.

The 1g-gte has a distributor as you may have noticed. It is from inside this distributor via three different pickups that the ECU is told where the motor is at. Bascially the Distributor is running as a Cam angle sensor.

Now that's all fine, but the 1g-gte ECU is used to seeing where the Distributor is at(Given it's direct drive from the CAM), and when the distributor is at the place it wants it to be it, the ECU will fire the coil.

So, you may say, why don't I just take the dizzy cap off and use the dizzy as a CAS to the 1g-gte ECU. Yes, you could do that, but then you don't have the ignition output drivers from the 1g-gte ECU to fire singular coils. The 1g-gte ECU is used to firing only 1 coil at multiple times per revolution, whereas the 1g-gZe ECU would be used to firing one of six coils(or three if that's how it works) once per revolution.

Long story short, you could convert the 1g-gte dizzy to become only a CAS and hence give the ECU the signal it requires, but the 1g-gte ECU won't have the ignition driver outputs to fire a coil pack.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Converting a 1GGTE to 1GGZE Coil Pack Ignition Tue, 12 October 2004 22:30 Go to previous message
The other problem is that the 1GGTE ecu needs two verification signals from the igniter. The 1GGZE igniter will not provide this and consequently the ecu will shut down. If you go to my site and look in the tech section there is a link to one of the best Toyota tech data sites around. All the ignition systems are explained in downloadable pdf files.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Quick Q: 1jzgte oil
Next Topic:CD player problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 14:07:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048260688781738 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.