Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
7MGTE overheating problem fixed Fri, 03 December 2004 02:03 Go to next message
Just thought I'd post up my overheating woes and the resulting fix in case it helps anyone.

Symptoms:

I found 95% of the time my car was fine, however certain things caused the heat to creep up by one and sometimes 2 bars. Driving with the aircon and fan on full ball caused the heat to go up by 1 bar. If it was a reeally stinking hot day it would go up by 2 bars.
Idling for long periods in the sun (like in very bad traffic) on a really hot day would also cause the heat to occasionally creep up by 1 bar.
Extended periods of hard driving would cause the temp bar to creep up by one bar, but only sometimes, and usually only for a very brief period.
It seemed that, in the case of idling in heavy traffic, if I nudged the revs up to about 1500 rpm and held it there, the temp would go back down.

Solution:

My clutch fan was a dud. It's the big bastard cooling fan attached to the water pump. Apparently the centre in these suckers is made up of a silicon compound, which ages and becomes less effective. There is also a little heat-sensitive bimetallic strip in them which can die. End result is, the fan doesn't do its job properly. You can either pick up a replacement fan centre (about $70 new - davies craige) or you can get the centre re-filled with new silicon for about $50 (there's a place in castle hill that does it - and probably many, many others).

Hope this helps someone.
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7MGTE overheating problem fixed Thu, 05 May 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello all,

Thought I might reply to this thread instead of starting another one since there is a slight relevance.

Over the last week or 2, my viscous fan has been kinda 'delayed' in its operation i.e. not engaging properly until ocassionally a couple of minutes after the temp has crept up 1 bar above centre.

Just today, right when I got to my gf's house, the fan engaged and stayed that way for a while 'till I switched the engine off. Thought nothing of it 'coz I was on the freeway for about 30km's before I got to her house. Left her house later, clutch fan engaged as I started the car and disengaged as per usual. Started driving... about 5 minutes later, the lil' sucker engaged and wouldn't disengage. Literally the whole 55-60 odd km's home I was driving with the fan engaged 80-100%. I say that cause I could hear the tone of the fan changing even when I am holding the revs.

Now, can I assume that the fan's had it? Time to get a new one? Or is there something I can do to fix it (bash it with a mallet or something?).

Thanks

Yian

P.S. For people who don't know, this is another 7MGTE MA61.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE overheating problem fixed Thu, 05 May 2005 18:30 Go to previous message
Yian,

I got a 7M-GTE Viscous Fan thingy sitting at home if you want to swap, also 2x 5M-E ones if you really want to try Razz

Looks like you need to get new ones or go thermos like me Very Happy

Cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE
Next Topic:need new engine for RA60
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:48:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057690143585205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.