Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What am I up for with a ST184 3S-GTE Conversion?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joshske
Occasional Poster

March 2004
What am I up for with a ST184 3S-GTE Conversion? Mon, 20 December 2004 13:12 Go to next message
Ive grown really attatched to my celica now, to think I was going to sell it a month back and buy something else Embarassed

So now im craving power, quite confident in my driving, and I think its time for some boost!

Im pretty sure im in for the long haul with this car, even tho its my first, Its just so fun to drive, has the looks (quite biased I know, so sue me Razz ) and is a toyota most of all!

I know it wont come cheap, im not expecting that, especially since I dont have the facilities to do a engine swap on hand, ill be looking for a shop located in brisbane to do the work for me.

The only things upgraded on my car so far is just a daiken heavy duty clutch, which hopefully I can still keep as its only a few months old.

I would like to do it all in one hit so its not off the road for _too_ long, so that hopefully includes engine swap, labour, FMIC, new exhaust system, air filters, the lot.

Basically im asking from you guys, and hopefully some people who have experienced an engine swap in a ST184 before to give me some pointers, maybe even a shop to go and have a chat to before I commit to this project, and most of all PARTS, maybe even a rough est on how much it could cost me.

Any help would be much appreciated, or maybe even pointing me to another thread on this, I did do a search but didnt find too much on the subject.

Thanks guys!
  Send a private message to this user    
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What am I up for with a ST184 3S-GTE Conversion? Mon, 20 December 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not saying you shouldn't go for turbo power, but this Idea was thrown at me by someone who does alot of work on MR2's and clubmans with Toyota engines:

People with 2nd Gen MR2s often import a 3sGTe motor, and sell their 3sGe real cheap in the trading post (or similar).

so... A few people he knows have taken the bottom end from their 5sFe and plugged it into the 3sGe, to make a 2.2L n/a motor with the performance, wide valve-angle head. Naturally they've taken the opportunity to work the ports a little, and fit extractors (cheap from liverpool xsorstz in Sydney).

Because this motor runs an AirFlowMeter, it automatically adjusts for the extra air the 2.2L crank is sucking in, meaning you can leave the computer stock. Neat eh?

Just thought I'd mention it, coz the guy said these 2nd hand 3sGe's usually sell for around $600-$800 with low(ish) kays...... . . .
joshske
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: What am I up for with a ST184 3S-GTE Conversion? Wed, 22 December 2004 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump at all? Sad

this makes me sad Sad
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: What am I up for with a ST184 3S-GTE Conversion? Wed, 22 December 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josh its okay, i think everyone is busy at work during the lead up to christmas!!! someone will replay, if you wanna know some prices for JDM half cuts, give my mate james a call on 3265 5966. i'm sure he won't mind helping you out.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: What am I up for with a ST184 3S-GTE Conversion? Wed, 29 December 2004 03:06 Go to previous message
I have one of these in a camry. if you have a 5sfe at the moment the engine mounts are different to the 3s motor and will need to be welded. Your gearbox will bolt straight up and might be ok if you were gentle with it or the V6 camry one will fit in (I paid $330 for one second hand from a wreckers) The camry one is not an LSD however.
Some mr2 boxs have LSD's but they are harder to find and expensive. If you are lucky you might get one with a MR2 halfcut with the 3sgte. The gear selector fittings on the MR2 box face the wrong way but they can easily be changed.
If you get a MR2 halfcut some brackets on the motor are different for the alternator, aircon etc and the radiator hose setup is a bit different. A celica GT4 halfcut is easier as this is all in the correct spot to start with but the gearbox is 4wd.

If you go with a MR2 or V6 camry gearbox you will need custom driveshafts as the splines are bigger in these boxes, plus the length is different.

You may need a brake upgrade or disc brakes on the rear to get it engineered.

Also you will need someone to wire the motor from the halfcut into your old loom. I did this myself with the camry and i have all the diagrams for both the GT4 and the MR2 if you want them, it isn't too difficult.

Your fuel pump may or may not be up to the task, i put a walbro in the camry just in case, cost about $200 i think. but i have heard that most toyota pumps are interchangeable so you might be able to use a GT4 or supra pump or something.

you will need to do something for intercooling as well, either bonnet scoop and a top mount or a front mount or Air to water, I used the air to water core from the ST205 GT4 in the camry and it works very well also good for the "sleeper" look.

You will need an exhaust made up or at least a dump pipe of some sort as well.

I would be surprised if it cost you less than $7000 all up if you did some of the work yourself and would expect about $8000 if you payed someone to do it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Turbo Timers
Next Topic:MKIV wheels on MKIII - Offset issues - where can I get spacers?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:35:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039370059967041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.