Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » replacing engine fan for thermos...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

icon5.gif  replacing engine fan for thermos... Fri, 31 December 2004 05:41 Go to next message
Hey All,

I wanna replace the big arse engine fan on my 4x4 2.8 diesel hilux, with either a 12" (or bigger if there are any?) unit, or two 10"/8" units
Recommended brands? sizes etc etc ??

being a diesel, will this effect anything or not? (im assuming it'd be no different to a normal petrol vehicle?!)

And how would ppl hook these up, by a temp switch going in to the radiator, or just just on a on/off switch in the cabin, tun it on when ya start the car and then off again when turning off?

any help would be greatful!

thanks
Geoff
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy whatever gives you most coverage of the radiator, which usually means two smaller fans. Definitely get a thermostat to control them, using a switch is dodgy and defeats the purpose of having thermo fans (ie they're meant to be off most of the time).
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what type of thermo, and blow thru or a draw thru one work better?

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suck, but you will find most the blow through fans, the fan blade can be reversed anyway to make it also suck
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Measure the potential mounting area. Go to shop buy range of thermo fans that will provide best coverage (you can get up to 16" blades). Then look up Tridon catalogue for thermatic switches. Find one that becomes closed at 90 and opens at 85 degrees (or whatever temp you desire) and buy. Go home. Mount fans. Connect wires and thermatic switch - switch needs to go in a water gallery somewhere (thermo housing is usually pretty handy and most have an M16 x 1.5 thread). Enjoy.
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wondering is there any disadvantage or advantage in using thermo fans. like would it give more horse power as its not driven off the motor.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks GT.
Do you mean look up Tridon catalogue on the net, or check the product book etc at super cheap/autobarn etc etc ?

Meat rack, i think there is some power gain but not much and i think they cool better then an engine fan.

Im mainly doing it to make a bit of space (and try to gain any power i can, as diesels are damn slow to start with Razz)

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: replacing engine fan for thermos... Sat, 01 January 2005 10:49 Go to previous message
yeah youll gain a bit of power, like 3kw?
maintains a better temperature
doesnt quite cool as well though
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fault code problems
Next Topic:4age 20v
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:23:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052080154418945 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.