Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BIG guy
Occasional Poster

September 2004
non uni jobs? Sun, 02 January 2005 12:43 Go to next message
hey all, ive just finished yr12 and am completly unsure of wat the hell i want to do with the rest of my life.
so this thread is to help me kno wat are some good options around. id appreciate anybodys comments and opinions on all jobs they have or have done, that u dont need uni qualifications for(as uni's kinda not gonna happen with my result), like tafe courses, trades, etc. all input wanted

cheers dave
  Send a private message to this user    
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Sun, 02 January 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you want to earn big $$$ then you should become a plumber or electrician or something like that.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Sun, 02 January 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Become a Pimp, pimp up a Crown, then get some of dem Hoe'z
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: non uni jobs? Sun, 02 January 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second the idea of becoming an electrician or plumber...They do earn big dollars. They work hard too though but are rewarded for it moneywise unlike some jobs.
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Sun, 02 January 2005 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I started my electrician apprenticeship 1st of September, it's good work but since i'm the first year i get the crap jobs (read: getting into roofs, fetching tools, cable tying) the money is alright, i clear $280 on a normal 40 hour week. I'd suggest it though, at least you get to use your head when working, rather than my previous job as a tiler's labourer.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Sun, 02 January 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont do hospitality. It sucks
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Mon, 03 January 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Automotive Engineering at tafe.
BIG guy
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Mon, 03 January 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thnx for the replys
as for a plumber or electrician, a few of my mates do plumbing and i realise the moneys good but it aint really on the top of my list and i havnt really thought about electrician but i might look into it a bit further.
Miss MR2: wat do u do in hospitality and how come u think it sucks?
davedrifts: wat stuff u do in automotive engineering?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hospitality would have u work in hotels usually. also managers at restaurants as well

auto engineering is mechanical engineering with automotive application mainly. correct me if im wrong
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barmaid at a bowling club. tHer are some great oppurtunities out there, if you are willing to start at the bottom. And by the bottom i mean working when everyone else is out playing.

Its good money, but i would recommend doing something where you at least learn a trade. Do you like chemistry?

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chemistry as in bartender?? Rolling Eyes
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toy Yoda wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 07:20

money is alright, i clear $280 on a normal 40 hour week. .

Yikes. Thanks god I don't earn that little, mind you, when I first joined the RAAF, I was on $7,764/year.

Tis a bit different now, but Engineering with a car company pays well ..... Very Happy $83k/year + OT + Super + benefits Very Happy Very Happy
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 15:35

chemistry as in bartender?? Rolling Eyes

No, as in chemistry. There are various tafe courese you can do that will qualify you as an analytical chemical technition.
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yah, Auto engineering is just mechanical engineering based on cars. Pretty much a mechanic except you design shit and do fabricating. It also pays alot more.
BIG guy
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh ive looked abit into hospitlity, but am unsure about it.
im interested to kno more about automotive engineering, anyone got anymore info on it or kno where i can get some?
do u need to go to uni and do something like mechanical engineering to become an engineer at a car company?
Miss MR2: not the biggest fan of chemistry, wats an analytical chemical technition do?

cheers

shoot
Regular

April 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Tue, 04 January 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car deatling 1000 to 3000 a week

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: non uni jobs? Wed, 05 January 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BIG guy wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 00:37

anyone got anymore info on it or kno where i can get some?
do u need to go to uni and do something like mechanical engineering to become an engineer at a car company?
Miss MR2: not the biggest fan of chemistry, wats an analytical chemical technition do?

cheers

Ask a Uni for more info.

Auto company's have envronmental, civil, mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, electronic and chemical engineers.

Even the Production line work pays well. At GMH, the startuing wage for dayshift is $18/hour. Overtime and ashiftwork get extra penalties.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Wed, 05 January 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
analytical technition tests chemicals to find out their composition and the likes. Propbably not for you if you like engineering.

There are engineering diplomas you can do through tafe, if you dont want to go through uni.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: non uni jobs? Thu, 06 January 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate you've really got to think about what you are interested in, and if you arn't interested in anything then what are you good at?

If you are good with your hands and building stuff, then go a trade like plumber, sparky or mechanic. Crap money to start with, but by 3rd-4th year you start clearing some excellent $$$

If you are more of a thinker, electrical engineering, IT(Networking is big at the moment), engineering, accounting, stock brokers assistant heapsa jobs.

It may sound a bit stupid but go an see a careers adviser, all TAFEs have them, and you dont have to be a student to go in for a chat, they can give you lots of options in all different types of fields.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: non uni jobs? Thu, 06 January 2005 09:45 Go to previous message
hey interesting that... plumber or electrician
iv been working in the building industry and seeing
self employed plumbers / electricians id say ud do pretty
well, there probably are other opportunities too.

apprentice money is crap but u are learning at the same
time so it evens out. by the time you reach 60 you would
want to be retired or something, its hard work.

lab technicians get paid well and its not too hard either.

i wouldnt work in a field you love, it will probably ruin it. id like to know what are the money raking jobs at the moment cos id bloody take one!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Awesome F1 simulator
Next Topic:Whats your poison?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:06:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083661079406738 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.