Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 14 January 2005 10:46 Go to next message
The girlfriend departed, ..., I needed a new toy! Completely original, and currently stuffed - my plans are being formulated as we speak, with a 2JZGE I have in the shed jumping up and down excitedly:

http://members.westnet.com.au/mutilate/clint/crown/DSC00020.JPG

http://members.westnet.com.au/mutilate/clint/crown/DSC00022.JPG

http://members.westnet.com.au/mutilate/clint/crown/DSC00027.JPG

http://members.westnet.com.au/mutilate/clint/crown/DSC00018.JPG
  Send a private message to this user    
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 14 January 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this the model with the 2r enigne and the columb shift manual??

if so can i please have the bushes from the columb shift if ur not gona use them or is it stuffed too
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 14 January 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Clint !

That is one Bloody UGLY front bull bar !!!!

mmm now a bit of a tickle here and a touch up there and you could end up with something like this:

http://www.mooneyes.co.jp/crown-classics/events/02cp/cp008.jpg
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 14 January 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know I Heart it.

Are you planning on running the auto and keeping it column shift?
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 14 January 2005 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it looks to be manual columb shift i may be rong but there is no gear thingy to show the gear on the top.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sat, 15 January 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lilcrash, the 50 series utes only came as a 3 speed (no overdrive) column shift manual 5R.

He could use the auto column from any other 50 series to make it column shift auto.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 January 2005 00:57]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sat, 15 January 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This one is a four on the tree manual???? Bought from a guy who's had it since new basically, so I doubt it has been changed. The photos above and a few others not shown are located here for the nuts among us:

http://members.westnet.com.au/mutilate/clint/crown /
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sun, 16 January 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 08:55

Lilcrash, the 50 series utes only came as a 3 speed (no overdrive) column shift manual 5R.

He could use the auto column from any other 50 series to make it column shift auto.

Yeah, I'm in two minds as far as gearbox goes - I've basically always been a manual boy, however I'm leaning to keeping the bench seat and going with a full retro look for the car - modern driveline in the old restored body and trim. Doing this and using the 2JZGE makes a manual difficult as I don't want to cut the floor pan for the shifter. I have thought about looking into the column shifted G series gearboxes in commercial Toyota stuff, but need alot more research into this to work out if it's feasible?!

My thoughts on going to auto are even more muddled at the moment - the ute is originally manual, and me being the anal prick I am, am well aware of this. The computer needed to run the 2JZGE motor and box would also have to be sourced, as I only have manual 2JZ computers at the moment. This option would be the easiest column wise though I feel, so the facts and fiction shall run around in my head for a while longer before I make a decision.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sun, 16 January 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I considered using a G52 box behind the 1UZ in my wagon. It's definitely doable but you'll have to do some clever stuff with the linkages (I would suggest starting off with a Hilux 5 speed column and modifying that, although yours is 4 speed on the tree so in fact most of the hard work is done). Externally the box looks almost identical to a W5x type box and the bellhousing to gearbox bolt pattern is the same. I can't remember the first gear ratio but I think it may have been a bit too low for my liking (although it may be possible to swap with the W5x series boxes if they are similar internally, of which I have no idea). It also meant having to source a bellhousing, clutch and flywheel - money I didn't want to outlay. This was ultimately for a tow car and cruiser so I decided for the simpler auto option (except that it took me a year to find the correct auto column).

Another gearbox option might be the L50 (like a W50 but with external linkages).

I have an auto 2JZGE ECU if you want to swap. With regard to auto trans, the linkage is very simple but will require that you reverse the direction of motion to get the right sequence on the gear indicator. Easy to do and PM me for a pic of what I did.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2005 06:58]

chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Mon, 17 January 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dave hows the convo going??

just wondering if u r using the original gearbox that came with the 1/2cut V8 or r u using something different?

also why did u need to change to a new column and what exactly is it?

P.S hows the rack and pinion setup coming along?

any idea on an ETA for this cruiser..

soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Mon, 17 January 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judging by the number plate,.. I think the car already knows what it wants Wink ...

Looks like an interesting project, and seems like you have a fair bit of work ahead..

Goodluck
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Mon, 17 January 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you did buy it clint,

Will you sell me that bull bar if you don't need it would look wicked on my car hehehe (not)

What is that in where the clock would normally be next to the speedo???

Good luck with it mate would love to mini truck a Crown Ute bags n all
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Tue, 18 January 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you with this one Clint.

I say mini-truck style but stuff the air bags, juice (hydraulics) that mofo and get her hoppin'.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Tue, 18 January 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best thing about these cars is you can repair the chassis seperate from the body - so shouldn't be too bad, once up on a rotisserie. Unfortunately, the double wishbone suspension makes it a bit hard to slot a 1UZFE in there, but the 2JJGE with column shifted auto looks like getting the nod anyway at this stage. Paint wise, I'm thinking a lilac/purple pearl to go with the chrome.

Stitt - the Roo Bar is all yours dude - would look right at home on the shitter!
eviltwin
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 21 January 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, always thought these were an interesting machine, looks like it has some good potential, and that modded one up the top, thats very nice.

a bloke has one of these just around the corner, but unfortunalty it's been attacked by the cowboys and has stickers and crap all over it with massive crown decals on the doors, still cool but.

cheers
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
icon14.gif  Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 21 January 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey clint she looks like a ripper Laughing
There's one getting around Tamworth its white beaten and and got jellybeans lol,
should look good when your done Very Happy

Cheers Trent
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 21 January 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I must admit, one of the determining factors in purchasing this car in such a poor state, was the fact that they are very rarely seen on the road, or advertised here in Perth. Having said that, since buying this one the other day, I've seen two other RS56 Crown utes on the road in the last three days!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 21 January 2005 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hadn't seen a ute for ages until yesterday when I saw an MS47.

Myfriend and I were driving along a country backroad years ago when we saw an MS47 ute in a paddock. It was in what could be described as a derelict state. The owner wanted one gorilla for it.

This one looks to be a relative minter. The tray hasn't rusted through and there are sills with paint on them.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sat, 22 January 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought i saw a crown ute the other day, and just assumed it was something else and mistaken... but there you go.

looking great, ill be following this project Wink
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
icon6.gif  Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Wed, 26 January 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a UAV!!!!..(Very Cool Clint Cool Cool ...I just love Urban Assault Vehicles... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil even has a pedestrian hook on the front guard..
That longhopper deflector looks like my old front gate.. Laughing Laughing

I have only ever seen one of these..in Orange years ago..it had chrome rails along the sides where the torneau cover is normally lashed/clipped on..

Any vehicle with quarter vent windows can't be bad....
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 28 January 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your PM's Cool
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Fri, 28 January 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got it, thanks Greg.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sat, 29 January 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clint,

I notice she has got a mis matched set of taillights. The drivers side one is the correct type for your ute. The passenger side one is for the later version (Like my wagon Wink ) So if you find you don't need it, I wouldn't mind a spare.

I will email you a scan from the parts manual for the MS53 & MS57 series so you can reference the part numbers. (There are two options listed for the early style lights)

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Sat, 29 January 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetoyman75 wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 16:07

Clint,

I notice she has got a mis matched set of taillights. The drivers side one is the correct type for your ute. The passenger side one is for the later version (Like my wagon Wink ) So if you find you don't need it, I wouldn't mind a spare.

I will email you a scan from the parts manual for the MS53 & MS57 series so you can reference the part numbers. (There are two options listed for the early style lights)

Damn, you have some keen eyes. I didnt even notice the two different tail lights until you mentionded it.

Be interesting to see what you do with the ute CLG.

By the way, thats one nasty people bar the previous owner installed Neutral

[Updated on: Sat, 29 January 2005 07:01]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Mon, 31 January 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting url for you Clint. 1JZGE into a 50 series wagon - it's LHD but you get the drift. I think he is running a floor shift auto though.
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~classics/mycrown13.htm
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~classics/04-1-2.jpg

Tidy dash conversion too.
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~classics/04-5-5.jpg
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Mon, 31 January 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, nice work, interested to see how it turns out. looks like theres a lot of woork that needs doing
good luck Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Mon, 14 March 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT, feel like doing a swap for the 5R for the auto 2JZ comoputer you have???
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Tue, 15 March 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clint this is a great project I think. I can't believe how good that one looks that Rod posted up!!

Cheers
andrij
Regular

December 2003
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Tue, 15 March 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clint mate

Any parts from my ute that were salvagable for yours?

Cheers
Andrij
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Tue, 15 March 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clint, check PM.

My dream is a 1GZFE in one of these.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Thu, 07 April 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Clint, hows the crown going? can we have an update?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Thu, 07 April 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's coming along slowly - I'm using it as a fill in project, so nothing is being done at a great rate of knots. The ute is now minus it's motor and gearbox, and hopefully on the weekend will also be minus the front "barwork".

I'm currently looking into the requirements for the 2JZGE motor and gearbox assembly and how I want to set it up, once I have that sorted, I'll dummy it up in the car to perform all conversion work in that area, including the column shift, and will also think about getting it running in that state - this would be a good litmus test to work out if I can do the gearbox conversion work needed to get a yoke style output shaft, over the current box's IRS output flange - which is never going to work easily with a live axle diff.

The aim of this build is "budget" retro cruiser, and with those thoughts I'm thinking about diff and brakes too. While I should just strip the MS85 I also have for the brake system, I hate drum brakes, so am also lazily looking for an MS112 diff to modify and place in there. Common sense should also see me take the MS112 booster and master cylinder, along with the front brakes to make engineering easier, but those single piston callipers on the front aren't getting my blood pumping, and I have a shed full of 4 spots, so we'll see what I think of that idea a little further down the track.

I'm also contemplating a rack and pinion power assisted steering setup, so have been in contact with Mr Tomato regarding his conversion into his delightful wagon.

Other than that, I'm going to start looking for good original black trim for the interior, in the true retro/oldschool style the car is intended to be built in. All the chrome work will also stay, and colour wise, I'm looking at a washed out salmon pinky/purple pearl, with lilac for the chassis, and the black original style interior.

Parts wise, I was fortunate or unfortunate to be given Andrij's MS57 ute for parts - it depends on how you read the situation that wound up with me being given his ute - I basically wrecked my beautiful "brown bomber" Falcon, after I was trailer whipped off the road, while towing the ute back to Perth for Andre (his ute was located 400Kms south of Perth). Unfortunately his ute is extremely rusty and the only good items in are the trim - which I have no use for - aftermarket red and grey velour and vinyl items. I keep looking at his ute and think - "Oooooh, trailer tub", so we'll see, but yes, I am in debt to Andre for him giving me his ute, many thanks Andre, I'm sure parts will come in handy somewhere?!

So, who out there has a MS112 diff for sale, ..., oh look another pondering answered?!

Edit: just had some purple jelly - what a top colour for the chassis!!

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 09:03]

TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: CLG's 1969 RS56 Toyota Crown Ute Thu, 07 April 2005 10:08 Go to previous message
Clint,

Have a good lok at the Ms112 M/C and booster conversion. I looked at it and after seeing dads car there isn't that much room on the fire wall with the colum shift and a clutch M/C which is the big killer.

Also if you look at Rack and pinion I am very interested and so is dad, maybe we could share machining set up costs and info and do a couple of Ms5x chassis at the same time.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:pix
Next Topic:Glen's RA28
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:28:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099790096282959 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.