Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

icon5.gif  3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 17 January 2005 12:48 Go to next message
Hi fellas,

Ok b4 ppl say use the search function, i have... and my questions seems to be unanswered. My Celica ST162 now bears a Gen2 3S-GE from the SW20 MR2...

Question 1: How much do these engine give in stock form?

Question 2: The normal transplant is Gen2 3SGE with Gen1 Manifold (T-VIS), how much KWs am i to expect at the front wheels? Stock form.

Question3: My car always felt under-powered, and last dynoed at 77fwkw, a figure although better than what i'd expected, isnt the standard for other normal 3SGE 2nd gen transplant... What should i look out for?

Just some quick Ref of my car:

89 ST162
Gen2 3SGE, Gen1 Manifold (TVIS)
KNN Pod Type Air filtre
4-1 Extractors
2.5 cat back system

I hear ppl say with the gen2 transplant, they have around about low 90FwKw without any other mods... so i'm just a bit worried that something about my car isnt right.

Anyways, please share your ideas and experience, and thank you again for your time

Regards,
Chopin
  Send a private message to this user    
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 17 January 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the answer to qn 1 is something like 112kw at the flywheel.

Are the extractors off the shelf tuned length? or just wacked together by a budget muffler shop?
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey John, thanks for the info, the extractors are not tuned length... Sad

Anyone else knows anything? isnt there someone out there that has done this conversion?
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aus spec gen 2 will have 117kw at the flywheel.
Are u running the gen 2 ecu? Have u had the timing checked?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Gen II 3S-GE in my MR2 put out 94.1kW on dyno day. Mild Mods

HKS Air Filter(in box), extractors, high flow cat, 2.5" zorst.
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As stated before 3SGE from MR2 = 117KW (gen 2)

Also if you are running gen 1 computer and gen 2 motor you will get pretty much gen 1 performance.

There are some MR2 ECUs in the for Sale section of this forum, if you don't have one, get one Razz I have a 3SGTE loom and ECU but i am not sure that will do you any good...

As for the extractors - cheap ones add noise and f**k all else Smile
Do them right or dont do them at all i reckon, its hard enough coaxing power out of a NA engine as it is.

Also check your timing is correct, their is power to be had with correct tuning.

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Choppin, the reason why you're running a gen1 ECu is because you're running Gen1 inatek,plenum etc with TVIS.If you want the gen2 figures you're gonna have to get your hands on the full Gen2 setup(so intake,plenum,ECU and the full loom) which is then gonna be wired up. At the moment it basically just has the black from the gen2 and as far as i know there isnt any or very little difference between the 2 gens.

So, new set of extractors, hi-flow cat and a decent tune will give a couple more kw but will bring you to a well performing gen1, which is in actual fact, what you really have under your bonnet.

GL mate
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for all the replies... i'm gonna look into getting it checked by a mechanic this coming Sunday.

My father retarted the timing beofre i went to dyno, it was sitting on 15degree, and the handbook for the 1989 Celcia ST162 3SGE Gen1 recommended 10 Degree.... do you think that this is somewhat incorrect for Gen2? Anyone know the correct timing for the Gen2s?

Thanks StuC for the vital information... i'm gonna have to look into getting the full Gen2 Manifold Sad

decisions decisions decisions...

'im gona reallyh have to give it to the mechanics to check it out Mad

Again, that you all for our replies.. Anyone know of a good mechanic for the ST162s?
3sfe
Regular

March 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its 10deg
As for the power output its 123-125kw at the flywheel
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Advance the timing until it doesnt detonate on a really hot day. If you've advanced it and it does turn out it's detonating on just drive like a granny home cos it'll only detonate under load.

Alchemist: That's a really good result 94.1 rwkw! I've always like mr2s!

Does the gen2 intake manifold have tvis??
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nopes... they got rid of it...

as much as i love the TVIS (Gives a good fake feeling of turbo Very Happy) i really wanna get rid of it... its really restrictive to the Gen2 3SGEs

Sad

Can anyone give me an est cost of a Gen2 Manifold... i've prepared my arm and leg Confused Rolling Eyes
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try and get ur hands on a blown motor...its the only way Chopin...I dont think anyone is going to seperate the intake and loom from a good motor...

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Karl, hows the celica?... how much do u rekon a blown 2nd gen would cost?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Tue, 18 January 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent touched the car for a few days...working Sad . should do something on the weekend.

Chopin there one for sale on the forum. Shocked

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=55960&rid=5064&S=eeb73386153262624f563f8 be7f42f24

hes got the lot. including gearbox Surprised

Karl
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Wed, 19 January 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
getting that this Sudnay Very Happy

Consider it sold Very Happy ...

Sad weeeeeo0000eeeeeeee thats 1/2 a freekin grand out of my pocket for my celica Rolling Eyes

The toll's rising Confused

Hey Karl, i'll give u email later on today regarding our deal with the wheels okies? Thanks for that mate, if you hadnt told me, i think i'll miss out on that gen2 manifold
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Wed, 19 January 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Celica John Smile

I know it's been said, but the more people saying it usually(and I say usually) means it's right.

Timing is definately 10 deg. it says so on a Toyota Sticker in my engine bay Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2005 09:03]

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Sun, 23 January 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey then thats really weird!!

I'm a gen2 powered 3sge.... and if i put mine of 10 degree... it chokes... at low rpm... it just sits there and pop pop pops... darn... i smell something fishy going on again Sad
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Sun, 23 January 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you bridging those two terminals in the diagnosis box thing?

are you following a service manual or are you just turning the dizzy??
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica_John wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 10:59

are you bridging those two terminals in the diagnosis box thing?

are you following a service manual or are you just turning the dizzy??

i wish i had a service manual Sad ... im turning the dizzy... plz tell me im wrong here Rolling Eyes
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your wrong.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
honestly buy the service manual. It really is worth it. espcially if your trying to do stuff your self that your not sure about.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you got zapped yet while turning the dizzy??

if not you will! hehe
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kool, thanks john!

where can i get one? i've asked the autopros and that near my place... none of them have one...i think i should get 2... one for the celica, and one for the mr2... to cover the lot.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got mine from repco i think. just ask someone to get one in for you. or go to a repco they seem to have lots of them.

tell me about it. I'm still trying to find one for a sr20t powered ra23.

(i really bought two just like your saying)

I'm not sure how different the gen 1 and gen 2 is. maybe you could get by with the one. maybe not?
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3SGE Gen2 ... yes another enquiry! Mon, 24 January 2005 02:04 Go to previous message
Hi there, have you sorted your timing issues out yet?
Just a question you did set your timing to 10 BTDC and not 10 degrees ATDC didn't you?

If you retarded the timing to 10 degrees ATDC that would account for the pop pop pop choke splutter....

Adam.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what can be done with sx celicas?
Next Topic:injectors not opening
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:18:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073480606079102 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.