Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kr0n1k
Occasional Poster

February 2005
MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 06:03 Go to next message
Hi everybody, new to the forums via the Cressida forums. I currently own an 85 Cressida, which I purchased about 2 months ago. It burns a bit of oil, lots of strange electrical problems while maybe not hard to fix, may also be very hard to fix. Weird squeaks and rattles so on and so forth. It does run fairly well, although when first started has to be warmed up or it bogs down under acceleration. I've read about all the different swaps, and have decided to, instead of buying an S13 or an AE86, I want to stick with a Cressida, for the JZ series motor. However, and here's the actual question of my post, which platform is better for the JZ swap? An MX73 or an MX83? It seems the MX83 (or GX81 I'm not sure, very confused about so many different codes for essentially the same car) seems to have a heap more parts (including body kits) than the older Cressidas/Chasers/Mark IIs. Which brings us to the next question, which parts are interchangeable from the MX83 to the MX73 in terms of suspension? How much HP can these cars withstand reliably? Am I better off getting rid of my not-running-so-well 73 and getting an 83 instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reasom MX83's are more popular for 1JZ swaps is that if you get a JZX81 front cut (which pretty well looks like a MX83) it all bolts in Smile Quite easy as far as swaps go!

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. It's also significantly heavier than the MX73. A JZ swap into an MX73 will result in a car easily capable of 12 second passes, but an MX83 will be more like a 13 second car with the same engine/mods. I guess you have to decide if you care more about performance or looks/ease of installation.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The crossmember from a JZX81 bolts straight into an MX73 as well.

So there is no extra difficulty involved in doing a JZX73 over a JZX83.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, so physically mounting it is no harder but what about everything else? Wiring and intercooler plumbing for example, it's a direct swap on an MX83 but I can't imagine it's exactly the same on an MX73!
Kr0n1k
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all of the info so far guys and gals. How about suspension from the 83? Will a set of coilovers for the 83 fit the 73? I've found a few different sets from Kei Office and Magic Garage for the 83, and if I could fit them to my car, I would be pretty much on my way to doing the swap. Oh, one other thing, anyone have any idea HOW interchangeable parts from an MKII/MKIII Supra are? I've heard that supposedly most of the suspension is the same for the MKII Supra and the MX73 but haven't really recieved a concrete answer. Again, thanks for all the help so far.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 03 February 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr0n1k wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 02:58

Thanks for all of the info so far guys and gals. How about suspension from the 83? Will a set of coilovers for the 83 fit the 73?

I highly doubt it, JZX81 or MX83 coilovers do not bolt up to the stock steering arms in a MA61 (norbie Wink), and the camber is all wrong if you resolve that issue via using MX83 or JZX81 steering arms.....it can be done (norbie!) but prbly not the 'bolt up' that you were quite thinking Smile

Quote:

Oh, one other thing, anyone have any idea HOW interchangeable parts from an MKII/MKIII Supra are? I've heard that supposedly most of the suspension is the same for the MKII Supra and the MX73 but haven't really recieved a concrete answer.

Pretty well nothing off a MK3 supra will fit on a MK2 supra (heck I can't think of anything off the top of my head....oh wait a second bbaacchhyy modded some rear konis off a MA70 to fit a MA61
Confused )....

CrUZsida has a MX73 with MA61 springs in it? and shocks that are for MA61 (same part numbers if I recall). So yep the suspension is very similar between MA61's and MX73's Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I have MX83/JZX81 coilovers in the front of my MA61, and as mentioned the MX73 suspension is very similar to the MA61 so what I've done will work in an MX73 as well. Be aware it's quite a mission though, and by no means cheap - I've spent $5k and I haven't even started on the rear end! And if you want coilovers of any description in the rear end, that's going to be harder again; the trailing-arm IRS design makes it difficult to get struts in there. Not impossible but certainly not a plug-and-play affair either.

If you got an MX83, you can import JZX81 coilovers from Japan quite easily and they will bolt right in. You might want to have a think about why you want coilovers at all though - what do you think they'll do that the standard suspension won't?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 08:34

Yep, I have MX83/JZX81 coilovers in the front of my MA61, and as mentioned the MX73 suspension is very similar to the MA61 so what I've done will work in an MX73 as well. Be aware it's quite a mission though, and by no means cheap - I've spent $5k and I haven't even started on the rear end!

I'd say the MX83 coiloves would work better in the MX73 than the MA61 because the cars seem to be closer related.
I think the MX73 and MX83 runs the same steering rack (MX73 is different to MA61 btw), and the same crossmember.
So it should be a bolt on affair.

But, I don't have a set of coilovers to play around with...
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 12:02

I'd say the MX83 coiloves would work better in the MX73 than the MA61 because the cars seem to be closer related.
I think the MX73 and MX83 runs the same steering rack (MX73 is different to MA61 btw), and the same crossmember.
So it should be a bolt on affair.

But, I don't have a set of coilovers to play around with...

Any idea on the length of the MX73 lower control arms? (seeing as you have both a MX73 and a MA61 why not measure and see if the camber will be worse or close to ok? (tho I think the MX73 arms would have to be QUITE a bit longer to remove the camber problem...), and the steering arm problem remains... Smile

I can't see it being cheap Smile

Also as norbie said, what are you hoping to achieve with coilovers? Bling? Smile

Cheers
WIlbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take a pic and tell me what to measure, and I may do it.

I have a complete MX73 and MA61 front undercarriage to compare.
Kr0n1k
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, there's always bling Very Happy but I also just tend to like adjustable coilovers since they lower the car but keep the stock stroke (? Don't know the terminology). The difference between lowering springs/tokicko shocks and adjustable coilovers on my friends 240 was night and day. I think he may have bought some really cheap springs, but either way. I think I may just sell the 73 (only paid $800 USD) and get an 83 (have found a few for $1,600 in decent shape.) Thanks for all the help, again. Smile For what I am attempting, I think the 83 will be a better platform, just because of the availability of parts for it (even though I'll have to import them.) I'm leaning towards drag/street/show, espically since visiting the supra store and seeing that, with a few simple mods, the 2JZ puts down about 430rwhp. And compared to alot of other cars (say, the 240) you'd need a hell of alot more money to get that kinda power that you would just getting a 2JZ clip, doing the swap in the driveway, and putting a 3" Exhaust and turning up the boost a bit. BTW I am currently enrolled in school to become an auto technician (ASE certified) so hopefully, the money and the knoweldge will meet up sometime later this year. Smile Oh, btw, we didn't get the 1JZ in the states, that's the only reason I am not considering it, unless maitinence items from the 2JZ work for the 1JZ, then that would be the route I would most likely take (cheaper).

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 06:20]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 09:08

Pretty well nothing off a MK3 supra will fit on a MK2 supra (heck I can't think of anything off the top of my head....oh wait a second bbaacchhyy modded some rear konis off a MA70 to fit a MA61
Confused )....

Cheers
Wilbo

Yup, I got them to fit (Koni Sport Yellows), and like Norbs front end, it wasn't easy, but now they are in Very Happy

Might make rear coilover easier too .....
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 16:52

The lower control arm Smile (I doubt the upper strut mounting point would vary by a large amount...?). You don't need a picture of a lower control arm Razz

I know you do Very Happy

Kr0n1k wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 16:57

Well, there's always bling Very Happy but I also just tend to like adjustable coilovers since they lower the car but keep the stock stroke (? Don't know the terminology).

This is wrong. If you lower the car via adj coilovers you are still reducing the suspension stroke... I guess in general the shocks in adjustable coilovers are better than normal, but there really isn't much difference between a normal Mcpherson strut (which is coilover anyway) and an 'adjustable coilover' (besides being able to lower or raise the lower spring platform Smile)

Cheers
Wilbo
Kr0n1k
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well... bling it is lol.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 14:20

The lower control arm Smile (I doubt the upper strut mounting point would vary by a large amount...?). You don't need a picture of a lower control arm Razz

Seriously dude, steering mumbo jumbo is above me.
Is it the bit from the crossmember to the bottom of the strut???
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 14:20

I know you do Very Happy

No, as in, I have an MA61 'subframe' thingo and struts in the garage, from my parts car.

Show me what to measure, and I'll take photos.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 06:25]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Fri, 04 February 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 17:07

wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 09:08

Confused )....

Cheers
Wilbo

Yup, I got them to fit (Koni Sport Yellows), and like Norbs front end, it wasn't easy, but now they are in Very Happy

Might make rear coilover easier too .....

Hehe, yes. And I demand you tell me/and the rest of the world how one of these days Wink

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Sat, 05 February 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida, the lower control arm is the bit between the crossmember and the bottom of the strut. Wilbo wants you to measure between the pivot points.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Sat, 05 February 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quick measure last night rendered the same distance.

But I'll remove both of them and do a side by side.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Sat, 05 February 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sat, 05 February 2005 13:00

Quick measure last night rendered the same distance.

But I'll remove both of them and do a side by side.

Hmm, well if that is the case, and the upper mounting points for the strut are also the same, (I wouldn't expect them to differ? but it wouldn't hurt to measure between the strut tower mounting points and compare again...) you will have the same camber issues as poor jemery (norbie) Sad

Cheers
Wilbo
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Sat, 05 February 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chronic you should have a look at the american cressida site also.
toyotacressida.com some of the toymods guys with cressidas like myself frequent it.Some great guys with lots of state side know how and local knowledge.ps.dont be scared to do a conversion with a front cut which is not the exact swap,its a good learning curve! best of luck.Pete.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 10 February 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, just to wind up the convo we had earlier, the LCA's between the MA61 and the MX73 are identical.

The steering arms on the MA61 are about 5mm longer than the MX73

And the distance between the LCA mount points between the MX73 and the MA61 seem identical.

The struts also look identical, but the spindle could be a couple of degrees off, and I wouldn't be able to tell by looking.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 10 February 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I guess that means any MA61 upgrades apply to the MX73 as well. Good news for the cardigan-wearing Cressida brigade I guess. Very Happy
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Thu, 10 February 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 20:10

So I guess that means any MA61 upgrades apply to the MX73 as well. Good news for the cardigan-wearing Cressida brigade I guess. Very Happy

And just in case anyone cared Rolling Eyes you will be even more shagged if you go to put MX83 struts into a MX62. Seeing as SA63 struts give a MX62 +2 deg ve camber to start with, and would give a MA61 2deg -ve from all accounts? you would be another 2deg's on the wrong side of good camber Smile

p.s. I'm sure you all wanted to know that.... Rolling Eyes

Cheers
Wilbo
Kr0n1k
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility Sat, 12 February 2005 02:11 Go to previous message
Yea, I'm there Pete. Smile I think Peewee has answered a few of my Cressida n00b questions already. I should've never come here to begin with, because it has made an AE86 ever more tempting... and to be honest, I don't know if I'm ready to drive something with THAT much power under the bonnet. A 2jz just has so much potential... and I see lots of Mustangs and Corvettes and such driving around where I live... I'd probably have a bit too much fun, or get in to trouble.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Home auto electrical jobs
Next Topic:Boss Kit for 86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:50:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068731307983398 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.