Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benen
Regular

August 2003
RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 14 March 2005 12:11 Go to next message
Hi all
I'm trying to do the Corona strut, peugot disc, hilux caliper brake upgrade on my RA28 but have encountered a problem.

I went to u-pull-it sunday and grabbed some xt130 struts as instructed in the article from this site. They look very similar to the ones on my celica. I ripped off the unwanted caliper and disc and just took the strut/spring/shocker home on each strut.

I tried putting the new peugot discs on to realise that they are completely different to the corona disc and have absolutely no hope in hell of fitting :S

The corona disc had the bolts for the wheel all together as one item but the peugot disc is just a disc with a slight rise in the centre (not as much as the corona disc) and four holes.

Does anyone have any pics of either the strut or the peugot disc or know which is the wrong part?

I can supply photos.

Cheers
Benen
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 14 March 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you talking about fitting the Corona (wheel stud) hat to the Pug rotor ? Or the Pug rotor onto the stub axle ?
Have you fitted new wheel bearings to the Corona hub.
Note that the PCD of the four holes that mount the hat are different to the rotor. Some people slot those holes in the direction they need them. I had all four holes re-drilled 45 degrees further around the rotor on the correct PCD.
Did you separate the Corona hub from the rotor (4 bolts) ? Did you get XT130/RT130 struts ?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2005 13:00]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 14 March 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having not done this upgrade so i really have no place to talk but assuming what is required, i believe you probably need the hub that you left at u pull it. i just pulled apart an ms65 and i think i know what you are saying but the disc is connected to the hub at the back by 4 bolts, you undo this and take the hub with you but leave the disc and caliper there.
does that sound right?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 14 March 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you have hit it on the head.
I assumed benen kept the Corona hat.
There is no way the Celica equivalent will ever fit.
Back to the wreckers for you boyo !!!!
Smile
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 14 March 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i feel like such a dick lol. When i was there the disc and hub appeared to be one piece. So i need to go back and get the corona hub off of the disc? lol.

I dont see how this has cost people around the 1000 mark like everyone says :S

I paid $70 for each strut, 60 for the bendix pads and $66ea. for 2 new discs. Just gotta get my hands on the calipers now.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 15 March 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can very easily cost $1000 if you rebuild the struts with Koni adjustable shocks, fit Lovells heavy duty lowered springs, buy new Pug rotors (I could only get mine for $95 each), Hilux 4 pot calipers ($100-$200 the pair), a new set of brake pads, getting the calipers professionally rebuilt (with a warranty),
get the rotors re-drilled and the diameter machined down to clear the inside of the calipers, new wheel bearings, and new brake hoses.
You have spent $332 already, and have yet to get the calipers.
Add the Koni's and the Lovells and all the above and stay under $1000 and you get my vote as next Toymods president and mechanical god mate !
Smile
Cheers,
Mitch.
PS: Don't forget the shims/washers to space out the caliper to sit over the centre of the rotor, and if you keep the dust covers behind the rotors, the humps pressed into them need to be flattened out to clear the rotor and you need to cut a larger hole for the bigger caliper to fit.

And there must be a reason why: "this has cost people around the 1000 mark like *everyone* says"

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 01:40]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 15 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My costs so far (totals, like $65 for both L&R struts):

MS65 Hubs - $70
RT132 Struts - $65
LN106 Calipers - $150
Caliper Rebuild Kit - $40
Pug 604 Disks + Machining + Slotting + Redrilled - $380
Noltec Coilover Kit - $300
Koni Yellow Inserts & Bumpstops - $527

Yet to come are Greendstuff pads, springs and Adj strut top.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 02:09]

sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 15 March 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can this upgarde be used for a ke30 as well?
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 15 March 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget the 1inch bore master cylinder aswell. If you are going to go through the hassle of the conversion it is worth doing the MC as well. Otherwise you have to push the pedal to the floor for your brakes to work. I ended up using the MA61 MC as it is a direct bolt up to the booster, but the brake lines have to be bent to fit, but that is easy.
thomasbl
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 16 March 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys, have been thinking of doing this conversion myself but have not really had much time to look into it. I have after market springs in the front of my ra28, they are a stiffer pedders unit. do i need to change the whole strut leg with spring as well or will the corona strut take the celica spring? does anyone have photos of the parts needed to be taken from the corona? any help would be greatly appreciated. I know that there is a lot of old threads on this conversion, but some photos would be a real help.
Ta.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 16 March 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Call Pedders and quote them the part number of your RA28 front spring. Then ask them to quote you the part number of the spring that suits the XT130 / RT130 Corona series. I think you will find that they are one in the same.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 01:31]

Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 16 March 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then throw away your pedders springs and go and get some lovells or kings.

pedders are evil

Dom
thomasbl
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 17 March 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, have heard some dodgy reviews on pedders gear. Will most definately get something better before too long. At this point in time, cash flow is the limiting factor so wanted to get some brakes in without hurting the bank account too much. I have a king springs catalogue which has the same listings for their springs for both models. Assume pedders will be the same too. Thanks mate.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 17 March 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinterboy4agze wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 16:32

can this upgarde be used for a ke30 as well?

for sure Smile
k@z3
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 27 March 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can some give me the details of the URL for this upgrade? I'm about to fit a series 1, commodore V6 to an RA28, and i'm pretty sure that a brake upgrade will be warranted.
Cool Cool Cool
k@z3
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 28 March 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's cool. I Found It!!!
Cool Cool Cool
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 28 March 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k@z3 wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 09:20

I'm about to fit a series 1, commodore V6 to an RA28
Cool Cool Cool

why such a pOO engine choice for the ra28? yes it will need some bigger brakes and stiffer suspension up front, among other things.. but have u considered all other EFI engines out there?
not a fan of the commi v6 in celica. hehe sorry no offence meant, i just wouldnt justify dropping on of those motors in there. i think id rather tow it around on a trailer behind a commi Laughing

k@z3
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 28 March 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Each to thier own my friend, each to their own.
You know you should not rubbish someone else's ideas on this forum, it realy is against decorum. All i was after was some info on a brake upgrade, not sarcasm. But hey, if it works for you, stick with it i say!
Cool Cool Cool
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 28 March 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for ur help everyone, sorry i upset u ra23celica lol.
Can you still get koni adjustables for ra28's? i heard they discontinued them? if this is true i can only get them for my front susp.
sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 28 March 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i couldnt find the link can someone post up the link
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 29 March 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benen wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 19:31

cheers for ur help everyone, sorry i upset u ra23celica lol.
Can you still get koni adjustables for ra28's? i heard they discontinued them? if this is true i can only get them for my front susp.

Hey...

They dont make a specific insert for them anymore, but others will fit ok.

AFAIK 86-1991Sport (Koni part number) should fit.
THis part is also used in AE86's, RA40's, Corona's, etc.

Talk to Doug at "Rovparts" (SA Koni Distributor), he got some in for me recenty.
$225ea.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 05:28]

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 29 March 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome, cheers Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 29 March 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. has it right, the part numbers are 86 1991 Sport and 80 2233 SP1, front and rear, for an RA23/28.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[email

k@z3[/email] wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 12:17]Each to thier own my friend, each to their own.
You know you should not rubbish someone else's ideas on this forum, it realy is against decorum. All i was after was some info on a brake upgrade, not sarcasm. But hey, if it works for you, stick with it i say!
Cool Cool Cool

i meant no offence dude, dont take it personally or anything!!
youve gotta expect to get some feedback on a toyta-based website.. esp if ur putting a GM motor in a real classic toyota body. Confused and plus i advised youll need some bigger brakes+calipers, stiffer springs, experiment with swaybars, definately..

i wasnt really being sarcastic.. i just not a fan of the dunnidore motors in classic celicas. Ive got nothing against u or your ideas, thanks,

my 2c

p.s. ul probably nee a bit of camber up front too or else the thing may handle quite poorly, think of the weight balance.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 00:55]

Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how many horses do you think this set up will be able to stop?
i.e 200hp -fine
300hp- only just
350hp - no way
400hp- nice knowin ya can i have whats left of you car after you fail to stop??
oh yeah this is in an RA28
cheers
Dom
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benen wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 19:18

awesome, cheers Smile

Oh...
But the strut top nuts they supply with the 86-1991Sport are wrong.
Youll need to get the correct nuts for the strut and have it machined out to fit the insert.
If you get them from Rovparts, mention it, and Doug will know what to do (he is working this out for me atm).

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 04:25]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops yes mate, I had forgotten about this. The Gland nuts supplied with the front Koni's don't match the struts. I went to my local Koni agent and swapped the part number 077 for either 076 or 078, or whatever.....just take a long an empty / clean Corona strut housing to check and you are sweet. I did not need to have any machine work done, just a straight swap of Koni parts (gland nuts).

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 06:08]

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks a lot guys, u've been a great help. I'll let u know how it all turns out Smile

btw, the rear koni part u have suggested (80 2233 SP1) is listed on the koni site as a lexcen rear shocker. U sure this is the one i need? dont want to order the wrong part Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 10:49]

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, also. I read that the corona disc has a diameter of 266mm and the pug one is 273mm. Have any of you guys machined the excess 7mm off of the pug one? is this necessary? worth it?

Cheers again
Benen
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the part number direct off the box of the rear shocks I fitted to my RA23. I had no idea they also suit Commodore or Lexcen....

And, yes you need to shave a few mm (I did 5, not 7) so that the Pug rotor does not bind up against the inside of the Hilux caliper.

Some say you can just slot the caliper but I think that is dodgy engineering.....

Don't forget that you remove the required "Min Thickness" statement from the rotor when you turn down its diameter, so that should be re-engraved (by hand is OK) back on to the rotors.
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hope uve got the right part number lol. Well if u say thats what it is then ill trust ya. Cheers.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 30 March 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 22:32

And, yes you need to shave a few mm (I did 5, not 7) so that the Pug rotor does not bind up against the inside of the Hilux caliper.

Some say you can just slot the caliper but I think that is dodgy engineering.....

I took 6mm off my rotors.

I dont know how it could be done by removing metal from the inside of the caliper... you would end up hitting the caliper bolt holes.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 31 March 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benen wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 23:31

hope uve got the right part number lol. Well if u say thats what it is then ill trust ya. Cheers.

You are completely free to ignore anything I say. And better yet, don't trust a word I type. I know what's been fitted to my car and that is all I have spoken about here. If you know more or better, don't bother to ask the question and follow the resulting advice. Satisfy yourself that you are getting what you want. I did this work without consulting this forum and I'm speaking from the little experience I have. Is it just too hard for you to say thanks without smart-arse comments tied up in there as well ?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 31 March 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 01:08

I took 6mm off my rotors.

I dont know how it could be done by removing metal from the inside of the caliper... you would end up hitting the caliper bolt holes.

Looks like we agree pretty closely here. I read about putting slots in the calipers to allow the 273mm Pug rotor to fit, in a tech article somewhere, along with the slotting of the existing holes in the Pug rotor to align with the Corona hats. I did not like either of those approaches so I did it differently.

Some one on this forum has reported a failure after doing this upgrade I believe, don't know whether it was the rotor letting go or a wheel bearing failed....might be worth a search for someone in the future....
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 31 March 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry ra28celica. didnt mean to offend you. That wasn't a smart arse comment at all. I was just surprised that they are teh same shocker out of a lexcen and said that if thats what u have in ur car then ill get them. sorry again.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 31 March 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 10:26

Looks like we agree pretty closely here. I read about putting slots in the calipers to allow the 273mm Pug rotor to fit, in a tech article somewhere, along with the slotting of the existing holes in the Pug rotor to align with the Corona hats. I did not like either of those approaches so I did it differently.

Differently?
How so?

Im using Crown hubs for 5 stud (to match the soon to be Hilux rear).
I dont know if the Crown hubs are a different depth to the Corona item, but my rotors lined up pretty much dead on with the caliper. No need to space the caliper out from the strut.

To get the 604 rotors on the Crown hubs, i had 4 new holes drilled on the rotors and one slightly slotted.

Photos are here if anyone is interested:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/thumbs .php?sub=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005- 03-09%20Front%20Brake%20Setup

Quote:

Some one on this forum has reported a failure after doing this upgrade I believe, don't know whether it was the rotor letting go or a wheel bearing failed....might be worth a search for someone in the future....

Hmmmmmm.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2005 16:39]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Fri, 01 April 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benen wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 22:43

sorry ra28celica. didnt mean to offend you. That wasn't a smart arse comment at all. I was just surprised that they are teh same shocker out of a lexcen and said that if thats what u have in ur car then ill get them. sorry again.

Understood, and my apologies for my language and comments. I have found a few people on this forum, typically those who have not done engineering type mods to their cars, just seem to be experts and ready to cast doubt on all others, and that irks me as I know what I have done and had done to my machine, and most importantly, what works on the street.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Fri, 01 April 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 02:38

Differently?
How so?

I made that comment not knowing how you had done your conversion and as it turns out now.....

M.W.P. wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 02:38

To get the 604 rotors on the Crown hubs, i had 4 new holes drilled on the rotors...

I did exactly the same thing. I did find that I had to space out the calipers using 1mm thick washers, to get them to sit centrally over the rotors. I used RT132 struts.

Quote:

Hmmmmmm.
[/quote]

I have not done a search to see if I can find this post...
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Fri, 01 April 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i obviously came across not how i meant to lol. I do really appreciate ur help. Will be more careful about what i post next time. Cheers again Smile Almost all ready to upgrade. Got Calipers today. Just need to get the shockers now.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Fri, 01 April 2005 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn doesn't this bring back memories.........

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26807&rid=664&S=8ddcc8341c7af35ae26a6d6a dd8ade22&pl_view=&start=0#msg_231301

i found my rotors sat spot on in the right place on the rt132 struts no issues there. no spacing washers required.

with the pug rotors i had mine turned down to 266mm - as i agree you DO NOT grind out the inside of the caliper - this would compromise the integrity of the caliper and weaken it.

i filed the holes in my pug rotors until they fit the ta22 hub - OR you can simply re-drill the holes to 13mm and you'll be fine.
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 03 April 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWP, when you painted your calipers. What preperation did u do first? I can see in the pics that u plugged up the brake line hole. Did you do anything with the bleed valve? Also what did you do on the other side regarding the pistons and seals?

With re-drilling the discs. Can i just use my drill press to drill the holes out to 13mm? Will they line up perfectly over the hub exactly where they are?

Cheers
Benen
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 03 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i painted mine i cleaned them with brake cleaner. don't breathe the shit it will kill you.

my bleeders i taped up with tape then sprayed.

a bench drill would be fine to take them out to 13mm.
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 03 April 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool,

what did you do to the inside of the calipers before spraying?
can i just spray straight over the pistons and seals since i am replacing them with the caliper rebuild kit anyway?
cheers
Benen

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 11:11]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 03 April 2005 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I painted mine with the caliper halves split halfway through doing the rebuild.

Before painting, i hit them with a wire brush on a drill, then cleaned the residue off with POR15 Marine clean (awesome stuff).

I stuck bits of newspaper in the bleed holes and taped up the rest.

I cleaned out the innards with a tooth brush and a mix of chemical cleaners (they were pretty well gunked up).

Before:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-02-07%20Front%20Calipers/dscn4479.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

After:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-02-08%20Front%20Calipers/dscn4508.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

I just hope they work ok Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 17:54]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 04 April 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey - did you have to get a whole caliper rebuild kit after all? Probably good idea regardless...

Just a hint when cleaning the calipers, they can end up rusting underneath the paint (depending on paint used I s'pose) unless you are very careful with water Very Happy - I always wear gloves when handling any bare metal, but only cause I'm ridiculously cautious.
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 24 April 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got complete rebuild kits for both calipers. All the rubbers looked pretty good but i replaced them anyway. Painted them today.

One more question for yas. Has anyone drilled out the studs for the peugot disc themselves? They holes almost exactly line up with those on the hub. I read that they need to be drilled to 13mm to fit but from looking, the holes on the hub are 12mm, just have a slightly larger diameter to the pcd.

Do i just drill them all right down the centre with a 13mm bit or what? I asked the brake place, they said the the discs are made with a soft steel so are easy to drill myself as the drill wont jam.

Cheers again
Benen
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 24 April 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got mine redrilled for 5 stud, so i cant really help you with that question.

For what i have read of other poeples conversions though, they do just drill the holes out slightly larger.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 25 April 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found that the PCD of the hat did not match the PCD of the Pug rotor holes and that you would have to centralise the centre hole on a 'jig' and then drill out all four holes to match. So, I just drilled 4 new holes on the correct size and PCD 45 degrees around (exactly in-between) the existing holes.
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 25 April 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that easy to do? how do i go about doing it?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Mon, 25 April 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is where I bailed out and had an engineering shop do the work for a six pack of pre-mixed bundy and coke....(seriously).
The guy there found some old tube of the right diameter and centralised the Corona hat on the Pug rotor. Then he scribed the arc (the PCD in reality) all around the rotor and then drilled four new holes 45 degrees past each existing hole.
You can try it at home but I was loathe to eff-up a $95 Pug rotor, so I got it done properly....
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Tue, 26 April 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will do

cheers Smile
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick Q, im about to purchase LN106 calipers for my xt130/pug/hilux conversion into a ta23..
I got asked if i want calipers from a front LIVE AXLE or SOLID AXLE Hilux LN106...

At this point i went duh, not sure, whats the difference?
-he replied"well ones off a live axle and the others off a solid axle.."
i said "the one with 90mm bolt spacing and to take a 20mm vented disc.." and he again asked which of the two i wanted..

Can anyone confirm which type of LN106 caliper i need for the standard documented brake upgrade?

is there a visible difference in the solid-axle and live-axle versions?
just incase i need to identify them...

Thanks
Embarassed
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erm.
They should be the same.
The same calipers also came out on a few other models of Hilux.

Just make sure you can return them if they are not the right ones.

BTW, out of intrest where are you getting them from and for how much?
I got mine from "Oriental 4WD & Commercials" at lonsdale for $150.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 07:18]

jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sat, 30 July 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do the landcruisers have the same calipers? i saw some at upull it that look the same?
i think it was an HJ75
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sat, 30 July 2005 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ring toyota and see if they have the same part number for each caliper, though they might look similar the mounting points on the caliper might be different, this is something that you might want to check if you go to the wreckers with a ruler
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 16:40

Erm.
They should be the same.
The same calipers also came out on a few other models of Hilux.

Just make sure you can return them if they are not the right ones.

BTW, out of intrest where are you getting them from and for how much?
I got mine from "Oriental 4WD & Commercials" at lonsdale for $150.

Hmm, cool okay cheers, that was only what one wrecker said to me. Others have qouted me from $75 each i think at 2 places up to $140 EACH! at a few places for the same model caliper!
I think it was either paradise toyota or toyoland wreckers that were around $75 each.. or maybe one of the 4x4 specialists..

Im yet to purchase them, but prob will do soon.

Also on a side note, as far as new wheel bearings and ball joints...
do you use new xt130 wheel bearings or pugueot 604 wheel bearings? or ta23 celica bearings?
id guess just new xt130 lower ball joints or are t/ra23 items the same also?

cheers..
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 02:48 Go to previous message
"Also on a side note, as far as new wheel bearings and ball joints...
do you use new xt130 wheel bearings or pugueot 604 wheel bearings? or ta23 celica bearings?
id guess just new xt130 lower ball joints or are t/ra23 items the same also?

cheers.."

anyone?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wolf3d 1GGZE Help, Ignitors, Coils? HELL CONFUSED!
Next Topic:external wastegate with two vacuum line connections?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:31:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090699195861816 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.