Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » Common questions - STICKY?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Common questions - STICKY? Thu, 17 March 2005 03:35 Go to next message
I've noticed recently some of the forum members are a little hot on 'slamming' the questions that have previously been covered, or that they consider 'ridiculuous'

I don't think that attitude works well to encourage new users / new to cars / non technical people to continue their 'quest for knowledge'.

What I would like to suggest as a solution to this:

Stickys for tech sections covering things like:
1ggte information
4agze information
how to rwd a 4agze
common conversions

even if these are pointers to relevant tech articles or information on the web...

this way - when a new 'relevant question' is asked - the information can be added (by a mod / other) to the relevant sticky --> making less repetitive posts and stuff that annoys the tech majority.

I know I have personally asked 'silly' and 'covered' questions...mostly because I could not find the relevant information through a forum search or a google.

I just don't want to see people discouraged from learning about their cars because of the negative attitudes they encounter when asking for the 1 millionth time (but first for them): "will a xxxx fit in a xxxx?? how much?"

Cheers and thanks for reading the above.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Common questions - STICKY? Thu, 17 March 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bad - I know there is a 'faq sticky' that covers some of these items all ready...

but it's not entirely clear what's in there until you go in -- guess some people are to lazy to read.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Common questions - STICKY? Thu, 17 March 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you also know that there is a Toymods website, not just the forums?

http://www.toymods.org.au

with an "articles" section which has most of those topics very well covered. There is also a "tech docs" section which has more information, toyota workshop manuals, conversion guides, conversion notes, wiring diagrams etc etc than you can poke a stick at!!

The problem is most people dont notice them, dont know they exist, or just cant be stuffed reading. Heck i only realised the volume of information in the tech docs section about 6-8 months ago!!!

So in answer to your question - its all there already, the board has been looking at options to make it more obvious, but have not yet come up with a simple and effective solution. And yes, many options have been explored on that front..... most have been rejected in lieu of a website update soon to come about.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Common questions - STICKY? Thu, 17 March 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep knew about the tech articles - I have most of them saved locally so I can refer to them.

That's kind of the area I meant for 'linking to tech articles' etc... but all is good - I'm sure the toymods group will do the best job they can.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Common questions - STICKY? Thu, 17 March 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 14:35

I've noticed recently some of the forum members are a little hot on 'slamming' the questions that have previously been covered, or that they consider 'ridiculuous'

I don't think that attitude works well to encourage new users / new to cars / non technical people to continue their 'quest for knowledge'.

I have to agree with you here and in the near future there will be a listing of updated rules for this forum that should include not taking part in this kind of behaviour.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Common questions - STICKY? Fri, 18 March 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 13:03

ra23mad wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 14:35

I have to agree with you here and in the near future there will be a listing of updated rules for this forum that should include not taking part in this kind of behaviour.

The problem here is what do you propose?

Do we just ignore it? and potentially have people give incorrect information?

Do we just wait for someone with patients to answer the question, and then have the newbie continually asking obvious questions and never learning to search?

Bar a few people, everyone who has been told to search before posting has only ever done it once or twice.
The people who get flamed/abused are the ones who are continually ask obvious questions, and its just pissing people off.
The other time flaming occurs is when a newbie is told to use the search function, or use google, and then he turns around and tells the person to fuck off.

Depending on the question, I gauge my answer.
If its as easy to find as '7MGTE Specs', then the poster will get a search answer. And while the 2nd post was a tad harsh, I totally agree with what was written.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents.

Its a trick subject.

Would it be possible to have a whole section dedicated to FAQ's, instead of just one post.

IE, above TECHS AND CONVERSIONS there would be a section called FAQ's.
There would be multiple thread with obvious titles.
In this section ONLY moderators would be allowed to post.
All articles would be submitted to the mods and they would post it.

Just a thought.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Common questions - STICKY? Mon, 21 March 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really like the isea of having a single FAQ section that isn't just a sticky in the top of other sections. I think I might put this one to the board tonight.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Common questions - STICKY? Mon, 21 March 2005 05:33 Go to previous message
Joshstix wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 13:30

I really like the isea of having a single FAQ section that isn't just a sticky in the top of other sections. I think I might put this one to the board tonight.

Let us know how it goes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TOYMODS DOWN
Next Topic:PM issues with toymods website
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:03:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052120685577393 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.