Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Neuby
Occasional Poster

November 2002
icon5.gif  Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 08 November 2002 04:30 Go to next message
this is my first post so hello everybody. The little 1XN holden (a four clyinder holden 202) in my corona has just been hotted up with not very favourable results. It would be nice to shock the hell out of some guy driving a lightly modded lancer when i beat him to the other side of the intersection Very Happy . The only solution i can think of is to revise my engine. Ive found lots of conversions completed to all other models of corona except the XT130. Can anybody who reads this suggest a solution to make my slow corona go fast Evil or Very Mad ? anything would be appreciated!
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 08 November 2002 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a 1G-GTE conversion. 2 litre 6 cylinder twin turbo 210hp. That should get the old Corona moving! Smile
XTreme_Corona
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 08 November 2002 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the xt coronas engine bay isnt very big, so it will be a very tight fit if at all. i would suggest getting either the 3t-gte or the 18rg(carbie or efi)
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 08 November 2002 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G rona

http://www.geocities.com/keirinandrae/ComaProject/ comaproject3.htm
Neuby
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sat, 09 November 2002 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 18R GEU has been recommend to me a couple of times. What kind of success has anybody had from these engines? How well do they respond to supercharging (i would like to supercharge for the instant boost) or turbocharging? And lastly what kind of setups have people got?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sun, 10 November 2002 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i gotta go outside the square here. two options - if you like V8's - a holden 253, OR a 186 will JUST fit.

bear in mind the mounts will be the same too - bolt in idea....if you use a trimatic nothing has to be modified.
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sun, 10 November 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a 2S a 3 SGTE would make an original and rather fun conversion that wouldnt even require custom engine mounts.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sun, 10 November 2002 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And this is my first post so hello everybody. I have TT132 (actually i have three of them) Coronas, it's with 3T. I think that i have only Coronas in Finland although that i know one else Corona in Finland. I think here in Finland must be less than 10 T-13 Coronas. Anyway i would love to have 1G-GTE, 3S-GTE would be great too but not so much. I have to be satisfied with 3T, because i think that only imported Toyota with 1G would be new Lexus IS200. So here ain't too many 1G's around. Importing 1G-GTE would be quite expensive. Im anyway considering it. Now im trying to rip some HP's from my 3T.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sun, 10 November 2002 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18R-GEU is a pretty good idea, probably the most simple as well if you get an RT13x crossmember. I have one of these in my RA23 Celica and it goes very well indeed. They respond well to forced induction, but I'd go turbo myself - better power and less complex.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 11 November 2002 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i actually have a zoom at home which i found this morning it has an injected 202 in an early chronos - turboed as well - was running 12's on the quarter. can scan if you want.
krumpy
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just going through the old messages and found this,

"sorry i gotta go outside the square here. two options - if you like V8's - a holden 253, OR a 186 will JUST fit."

has anyone put a V8 into an XT130?. Be interested to know

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm struggling to think of a worse engine to put in a Corona than a 253. A V8 Corona isn't necessarily a bad idea, but why use the worst V8 ever conceived by man?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats it Very Happy
Boat anchor....
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krumpy wrote on Wed, 15 October 2003 12:44

just going through the old messages and found this,

"sorry i gotta go outside the square here. two options - if you like V8's - a holden 253, OR a 186 will JUST fit."

i hope you dont think a 186 is a v8 and if you can fit them hunks off crap in wouldnt you go a decent 6 like a 4m Very Happy

*runs & hides wearing my flame hat*
Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2003 06:04]

krumpy
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know the 253 is the worst V8 made. What I was after was some ideas and help, not just throw away comments. Has anyone out there managed to put a v8 into a XT130?. I would be very interested in talking with them, Thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 1jz in my xt130! Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Wed, 15 October 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krumpy wrote on Thu, 16 October 2003 08:56

I know the 253 is the worst V8 made.

Hey, you're the one who suggested it in the first place! Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll list this in order of cheapness.

# 18R-G - 2L 4cyl twincam 8v dual sideraught carbies
# 18R-GEU - 2L 4cyl twincam 8v EFI
# 1G-GE - 2L 6 cyl twincam 24v EFI
# Crap motor 1 (186)
# Crap motor 2 (253)
# 1G-GTE - 2L 6 Cyl twincam 24v twin turbo
# 1G-GZE - 2L 6 cyl twincam 24v supercharger
# 1JZ-GTE - 2.5L 6cyl twincam 24v twin turbo

i might have forgotten some....

Think about it this way:
If you have around $1000-2000 look at the first 3 options.
If you have $2000 and a bastardisation copmlex look at the crap motors Very Happy
If you have around $4000-5000 look at the 1G-GTE/GZE
If you have $5000+ look at the 1JZ-GTE

These are of course ballpark guestimates.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
based on my experience i think your ball park figure for a 1jz conversion is a little conservative! Smile

anyone know if a 1uz would fit?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If a 1UZ can fit in a TA22, I'd be stunned if it didn't fit in an XT130.
krumpy
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was mentioned in a post on Sun, 10 November 2002 09:57, so I wasnt the first to mention it, I just found it and was following up
krumpy
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, gives me a bit more to go on. Let you know how it turns out
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 253 is not the worst v8 made. ok it ain't but there with the best of the best but it certainly don't make worst.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 16 October 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Let's take a fairly average 5 litre V8 and reduce it's capacity to 4.2 litres. But de-stroking it is too hard, so let's de-bore it. Now it doesn't rev AND it has no torque! Success!!"
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sun, 19 October 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think the 253 idea is that bad.
My g/f used to have a corona wagon (man it was GUTLESS)
I used to laugh every time i popped the bonnet, but anyway it had me thinking about engine conversions for it, and since it already used the holden engine and transmission, i though it would be easy to bolt in a holden 6 or 8 straigt onto the mounts.

You can geta 253 for about $50, but if you want a good one about
$300, it should go straight in w/o too much hassle. a good 253 and auto will set you back about $500

Corona's came out with the borg warner 4.11 diff, and can take a moderate amount of power. With a 253cu (4.2L), 4.11 gears and 1200kg/s of "fluffy" power it would definately get up and move...

Things to consider are:

tramsmission (as mentioned earlier, the trimatic would fit fine)
(or manual there are a million celica 5 speed to 253
bellhousings floating around for the manual)
Tailshaft (should be fine)

Radiator (use the stock one, see how it goes)

Maybe some clearance problems with the fan, in that case consider going to thermos.

Exhaust - Oviously you'll need to spend about $300 for a nice
twin 2 1/4 system. twin exhaust corona haha Smile, but as little as $200 for a decent single system.

Engine height (i think should be ok, but measureing is also better than finding out later on)

Speedo cable - same as trimatic auto type, (stright swap)

most of these factors will apply for all the above mentioned engines, to varying degrees, the 253 just seems easier as the 4 cylinder engines will go well, but only well, the 1ggte will go very well, but require the most work (2 cylinders longer), cost, and custom wiring etc.. The 253 is as short as a 4clyinder length wise, should bolt staight in, uses the same transmission so mounts will line up, as well as speedo cable will still work easily, and produce a performace result in between the the 18RG and the 1ggte in stock form, with minor bolt on mods yeilding larger resluts..

I don't care for that 'this engine is better than that, don't use that brand X motor it's crap, etc... I see it if your so blind not to appreciate all cars, then your like a racist, or car racist.. or 'carist'... Just my opionion on $$ per go ratio.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At 1200kg it would only go slightly better than a 253 Commodore, and anyone who's driven one of them will tell you they're by no means a fast car! Sure it will be faster than a stock XT130 but that's not saying much. Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heehee.... 253 commos only just stretch away from my sillycar!

but still sounds like a cheapish conversion, albeit bastardisation!
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry my weight figures were wrong for the corona.
My g/f had a 1980 wagon and i think it was 950kg or 1050kg not sure.. Did i quick search and found 1050kg came up a few times..
The commodores are around 1350kg. (depening on model)
So about 200kg, which does make a fair bit of a differance...
And considering the diff ratio advantage of 4.11 gears rather
the the commodores stadard 3.08:1 or less likely but not uncommon 2.78:1.

Ripped from a site:
Fuel system:Twin barrel Bendix Stromberg carburettor
Displacement:253 ci (4149.2 cc)
Power output (DIN):185 bhp (138 kW) at 4400 rpm
Torque (DIN):262 lb/ft (353.7 Nm) at 2400
Compression ratio:9:1

1050Kg + 185hp + 4.11 gears = Fun!

If you put a decent exhuast and carby you'd get 150kw faily easy.
Getting a 'half cut' of a commodore would be intersting Wink I think a 'full cut' would be more common and cost about $500-$1000
If you get a 308cu, externally identical to a 253cu, they make 179kw (240HP) in standard form, (HQ-HJ Kingswood)
A 'full cut' kingswood wont cost you much either!! Smile

Would be intersting, One thing that could be a problem is the sump clearance, but there are a few different holden sumps you could try out that would probably work.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll find most of your 200kg weight advantage will disappear after you've installed the engine, transmission and a bigger diff. Like I said it will go better than a stock XT130, but it seems like a lot of stuffing around for a pretty mediocre result...
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemi twofifteen turbo wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 11:39

Sorry my weight figures were wrong for the corona.
My g/f had a 1980 wagon and i think it was 950kg or 1050kg not sure.. Did i quick search and found 1050kg came up a few times..
The commodores are around 1350kg. (depening on model)
So about 200kg, which does make a fair bit of a differance...
And considering the diff ratio advantage of 4.11 gears rather
the the commodores stadard 3.08:1 or less likely but not uncommon 2.78:1.

Ripped from a site:
Fuel system:Twin barrel Bendix Stromberg carburettor
Displacement:253 ci (4149.2 cc)
Power output (DIN):185 bhp (138 kW) at 4400 rpm
Torque (DIN):262 lb/ft (353.7 Nm) at 2400
Compression ratio:9:1

1050Kg + 185hp + 4.11 gears = Fun!

If you put a decent exhuast and carby you'd get 150kw faily easy.
Getting a 'half cut' of a commodore would be intersting Wink I think a 'full cut' would be more common and cost about $500-$1000
If you get a 308cu, externally identical to a 253cu, they make 179kw (240HP) in standard form, (HQ-HJ Kingswood)
A 'full cut' kingswood wont cost you much either!! Smile

Would be intersting, One thing that could be a problem is the sump clearance, but there are a few different holden sumps you could try out that would probably work.

With respect, I think you're quoting early 70's figures under the old system (DIN, I think). Under a more relatively comparitive system, (SAE Net, I think), you'll find the power ratings considerably lower...

For example, the following figures come from the owners manual (which both of the 253 Commodore SL/Es I owned had).
253 V8 (Single exhaust) = 100KW (Can't remember torque)
253 V8 (Dual exhaust) = 115KW
308 V8 (Dual exhaust standard) = 122KW

Note that these figures are for the "pollution motors", where all ran the 4-barrel quadrajet carby.

For comparison's sake, the first injected 308s (304s, actually) in the VNs wee rated at 165KW stock, compared to the carbied engines they replaced (in the VL) at 122KW...Perhaps a wrecked 304 VN may even be a place to start, should you wish to go that route...Of course, if you're going to that trouble, there are probably better options.

I spoke to GMH some years ago, interested in trying to extract the rumoured 157KW from the 253 that Holden claimed for the Brock VH Group 3s...The bloke told me "Don't bother, those engines had a LOT of work done to them (Blueprint/balance, better internals etc etc), and the readings were "optimistic".

As Norbie said, the weight alone would make the conversion only marginally better than stock - certainly not value for money, compared to some of the Toyota engines floating around.
need_boost
Regular

July 2003

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have seen someone put a 253 in a corona, it was a fairly 'backyard' job but safe (managed to get engineered) - not a great deal in performance gains, just sounded nice , and had twin exhausts

IMO you'd be better off putting a SR20DET *or similar* innit...

coronas can handle 'ok' with work, and a heavy engine (all cast 253 or most other v8's) wold be shitters on the arms, unless you wanted to work in some power steering...

i have seen a ecotec 3800 in one, which look rather clean, although the strut towers had been massaged a little which i thought was very dodgy, but safe i was assued Confused

the 186 is a definately feasable option, although some XT130's i've seen have mounts more like the 18R and some have ones more like the holden 6 mounts ?? someone playing silly buggers at toyota/holden i suspect

1G would be something to consider alongside the turbo'd 4 banger... 2 turbos, 2 cams, 6 pistons, cant really go wrong there

hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep the power figures i quoted were off the kingswood pre pollution motors.. the commodore 8 went right down to the 110kw mark as you said. Weight may be + 100kg. (since it already uses a baby trimatic.. the BW diff might hold up. for a bit anyway.
Just thinking that you'd rip off all the pollution crap b4 you put it in.

There are maybe better options performance wise, but this
conversion is just plain cheap/easy.. Ultimatly 1ggte or quad v8, but that leads to $$.. just a suggestion of a cheap performance gain thats a little different..

On a differet note, anyone seen that video of the STOCK corona wagon XT130 with the NOS kit strapped to it.. They show a speedo
shot at 100kmh and 3...2....1 NOS, and the needle shooots round off the dial in about a second. funny shit.

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Mon, 20 October 2003 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
need boost...there were some coronas around that time and earlier floating around with 18R's in them, ala RT132 5 door.

yeah the power figures are on the money for the 253 (blue) 100/115 - 115 being with dual zorst

ok in efficiency stakes it wouldn't be the greatest, but you can't beat that v8 sound, and, well would be kinda unique.
need_boost
Regular

July 2003

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Tue, 21 October 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 23:32

need boost...there were some coronas around that time and earlier floating around with 18R's in them, ala RT132 5 door.

but theres not many XT130's with 18R's in them now is there:P

these were all XT130's that had these mounts, which is why i thought it was interesting
forest_rd
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 23 April 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello all this is my first post, I came across this forum after someone told me that you could prob fit a 6 cylinder in the Corona I just bought last weekend (1981 model).

I noticed the list above and wanted to know which one of them is the easiest to install and what sort of Pro's cons there are... I am a total newb at doing engine conversion but a mate of mine said he would help me do it (a mechanic) if I decided on what I wanted.

Any help on this would be tops.

Quote:

# 18R-G - 2L 4cyl twincam 8v dual sideraught carbies
# 18R-GEU - 2L 4cyl twincam 8v EFI
# 1G-GE - 2L 6 cyl twincam 24v EFI
# Crap motor 1 (186)
# Crap motor 2 (253)
# 1G-GTE - 2L 6 Cyl twincam 24v twin turbo
# 1G-GZE - 2L 6 cyl twincam 24v supercharger
# 1JZ-GTE - 2.5L 6cyl twincam 24v twin turbo

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 23 April 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 1G will go in place of the 1X (yuck)
find an rt132 with 18R motor, grab the crossmember from that
bolt it in place
then get yourself a 1G with mid mount sump move the engine mounts to the mid position and using 10mm spacers and the original 18R mounts to the crossmember bolt in place.
the gearbox mount unfortunately i don't know about sorry.

this would make a hell of a weapon. i will be doing exactly this in the future.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sat, 24 April 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Grega. My 1jz conversion is definitely not an easy one and I would think that the power of the 1jz will kill the stock diff in no time. I just blew up my Pajero 8.5" diff last week!

In saying that, a single turbo 1g will have as much power as a 1jz so you will need a diff upgrade for that as well.

So firstly you must think what you want out of the car? Drag, circuit, drift Laughing

Then I would pick an engine from there eg. if you want to do circuit racing you really wouldn't pick a heavy engine like a 1g or 1j because it would be too heavy in the nose.

I have Monroe GT gas in the front, Koni adjustables in the rear, and low king springs all round and IMO the car handles like $hit. I expected that though, and my primary focus is drag racing Evil or Very Mad

Therefore, if you want to go drag racing, i would go 1g or 1j, if you want to do circuit or drift, sell the car and get something that handles "decently" to start with.

my 2c
sabext130
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 09 December 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
regarding the V8 conversion , have you actually seen inside the bay of an xt130? there aint no space for a v8 or 6, the xt130's aren't even slightly comparable to the mkII coronas or cressidas when it comes to space. Have to think a little bit smaller in terms of displacement! Cool
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Thu, 09 December 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 6 in my engine bay! Smile

It fits once you get rid of the stock fan setup and fit thermos.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Fri, 10 December 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

my first car was a xt130 corona with a misfire errrrm
starfire engine Very Happy pretty lightweight actually...
it wont be if u plan on putting in a boatanchor pushrod 2v
with the associated heavy gearbox tho Very Happy ,
the engine bay should fit most of the better engines mentioned here and itd be a weapon!! and a sleeper Shocked hehehe

the corona gearbox is tuff as!!
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas Sun, 23 January 2005 10:00 Go to previous message
the 253 is not the worst v8 made. ok it ain't but there with the best of the best but it certainly don't make worst.

Um my WB had a 253 thong in it and still managed to get ricers stuck in the bullbar Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:lowering leaf springs
Next Topic:steering nuckle/arm
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:20:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083210468292236 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.