Toymods » Tech & Conversions » QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 23 March 2005 08:12 Go to next message
Hi everyone, have quite a few questions i wouldnt mind knowing answers for.
does anyone know widths of both ke10 and ke20 diffs (outside drum to drum) and can ke20 diff fit into ke10 easily, do the leaf springs sit the same distance apart? I want to use ke20 banjo diff with ke30 axles (5mm off each end) to match stud pattern on the front, can the ke30 axles be cut down even more than 5mm and go into a ke10 diff?
And ive also been told all of these banjo diffs have interchangeable centres, does anyone know the ratios across the models? When you use ke30 axles do you use the ke20 bearings or ke30?
for drums i would like to use ke55 as these are bigger than the ke30, has anyone done this also?
Anyhelp with any of these questions would be great, even if anyone can give me a number for an intelligent person i can speak to, that would be great.
Cheers for now
Sean

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 09:44]

Send a private message to this user    
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B Surprised U Rolling Eyes M Cool P Razz , ive found a bit of stuff on this but still none of these questions have been answered!

[Updated on: Thu, 24 March 2005 06:42]

PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wood be quite interested 2 see some answers to these questions aswel.
someone must have played aroudn wit it all before.
cheers scott
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think those sort of technical questions get answered here

diff?????
axle?????
mummy i need a new neon light mine leaked on my new custom floor mats.

sorry just had to.
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL
ill pay that
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott, i'll do some measuring tomorow so when i come up on sat i might have a look under your car and measure that, (if i can get down that low) do you have a spare ke20 diff we can stuff around with? or some ke30 axles? might have to go to u-pullit if i feel that keen.
sean
augo
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can measure my ke10 diff tommorrow drum to drum if you want.
Not too shure about ke 20 diffs but the ke30 has a few variations in
the axle sizes. Got given a spare diff that looked exact from the outside, so i did what any normal person would do, took the centre out then
went on a welding frenzy only to find that the axles on my other were a tad smaller..shit!
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool that'd be great, cheers,
btw scott, do you want to swap that diff centre for anything how about some woodies?
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sean
yea sounds cool
nah i aint got no spare completes i only stock axles n centres haha.
i took my locker out of brown rolla 2day YAY i hav turning circle back.
catchya
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Thu, 24 March 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could walk outside right now and measure the ke10 vs ke20 diffs... so ill do it tomorrow and get back to you's.
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING a KE20 Diff in a KE10 Wed, 13 April 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found a few things out. All jap diffs have same axle bearings across the board even t18 etc... good stuff there,
Ke20 axle 643mm
Ke10 axle 630mm
end of spline to face of hub.
now for someone to measure me a ke30 axle...
axle flanges seem to be different bolt pattern, i might use the ke10 axle flange on the ke30 axle and redrill some ke55 drums to suit ke10 pattern...
dunno

Can someone please measure me a ke30 axle Cheers!!!
Hopefully i dont run out of spline, can you have it longer than it is stock?? is there any room to have it a little longer so instead of say cutting 13mm of a ke20 axle cut say 10mm off??? I guestimate with what ive read when ppl put ke30 axles in their ke20's they are cutting 6mm off the end so 10mm + 6mm makes it 16mm cut off the end of a ke30 axle to fit in a ke10.

geez i was writing as i was thinking that, can you tell???
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 13 April 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work. Intereseted to know what the ke30 axles are also. Are you fitting yours into a ke10 or ke20? Are you doing a hub and disc swap for the front or a whole strut swap?

thanx matt.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 13 April 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey. i've measured this up before, you can put ke30 axles into a ke20, but i think it'd be pretty touch and go into a ke10. the spline is tapering off when it would be needing to seat properly into the spider gears. i don't think you can do it, but you'd really have to try and see. knock one ke30 axle into an empty ke10 housing and see if it scores the splines

yes, the backing plate pattern is totally different on ke10s, so you'd need to modify your drum backing plates and flanges, which is just as illegal as modifying caliper mounts or control arms on the front

ke10 and 20 are different stud pattern to ke30

wheel tracks are on matti kalahati's site, but you can't swap any diffs without modifying the mounts

some ke10 and 20 have a 5.7" diff center (X or B series cant remember) and some have 6" center (U series). stewart and i aren't 100% sure, but we both seem to remember something about the two being interchangeable in the housing, and it's just the ring gear sizes that are different, not the design of the pumpkin

we had this discussion on oldrollas a while back. if you have a ke10, you're pretty much stuck with 4x110 on the back, unless you shorten a better diff and axles (like a T series celica diff) and weld leaf mounts to it
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 13 April 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what mounts do u need to modify? the diff is attached to the leaves with u bolds, and then bolts to the tailshaft, this is for ke10 and 20.

cheers
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 13 April 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers guys, yes it is a ke10 housing i would like to use, with ke30 axles, i wonder how much a machine shop would charge to add a little spline to the ke30 axle. Or would say a datsun 1200 axle or another jap diff axle fit?? might have to see cause im pretty sure that ke10/20/30 share the same diff centre to a 120y and 1200. They look very similar anyway.
Matt, ive changed the ball joint to a ke20 so that i can bolt ke20 steering arms on and then ive gone for a different strut all together. later i will go for the whole ke20 crossmember and steering parts. The diff has the mounts for the leaves so that the diff cant twist under load, then you can add torsion bars to further stiffen and stop axle tramp.
Jamie, i'm not too worried about the legality of things as i would like to run the car in supersprints out at mallala and maybe some hillclimbs, i know that the little diffs arent that strong but i guess if you want to do burnouts and circle work all day then somethings gonna let loose but if you drive smoothly and dont do huge launches from traffic lights on a friday night it'll be apples.
Cheers Sean
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 13 April 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Resplining axles to my knowledge is expensive. KE10 axles nust be piss ant if 30's are bigger than them, or are you going for the stud pattern?

I don't think a KE20 crossmember will fit will it? You would have to do something about the engine mounts, as from memory, the donk on a KE10 sits a lot further forward than a 20.

Have your rear leaves professionally reset. A good reset will eliminate most if not all axle tramp on the earlier Corollas. My 25 doesn't tramp with either the tarmac or dirt springs in the rear. I'm not running a panhard rod, either.

Interested to see how you go.

Good luck!

R

rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Wed, 13 April 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers mate, yeah im going for the stud pattern, i know a guy who has a machine shop so hopefully he will be having a good day when i ask him,
Crossmember im not sure either but thats for later anyway,
Cheers mate,
will post up a thingy on my car when its nearly done!
Sean
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Thu, 14 April 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive asked this question before and found that the crossmember from a ke20 to a ke10 wont fit and alot of welding and fabrication would have to be done. Still would love to do it though. How did the ball joint conversion go? what struts are you going to use? The ke10 and ke20 struts arent the same are they, ive never really compared. oh and datsun 120y diffs will bolt up altough it will change you track a bit. cant remember exactly.
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Thu, 14 April 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok my bad. If your using a ke25 or ke30 borg warner diff then the 120y borgwarner will bolt in and it will DECREASE your track by 3".
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Thu, 14 April 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt, still waiting for someone to press my ball joints out, everyone wants $$$.
they will fit though, measured them up and thats no probs. Crossmember isnt that hard cause the bolt holes just need to be repositioned on the crossmember, only thing is finding somewhere to mount the radius rod + sway bar mount.
I'm using the banjo diffs, cause easier to swap centres at the track or if i get a little too snappy with the clutch Evil or Very Mad
With the 120y do you know if the springs sit in the same place cause if they do i might look into a 120y banjo which would be sweet, instant stud pattern upgrade and not too wide so dont have to run flares WOOHOO!
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Thu, 14 April 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im looking into making the swap too. Im pretty sure u could mount the leaves in the same position beacuse they are only attached with the u bolts. If the diff shafts are the same diameter the fill fit no probs. The only problem is, i know the rims i have for the back will hit the leaves if i cange the diff. But im gonna go to u pull it this weekend and measure it all up anyway. Where have you got prices from for the ball joints? how much? What have you done about the transverse leafs? I thought the ke20 crossmember sits further back than the ke10.
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING Ke30 axles in a KE10 diff Thu, 14 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous message
I got prices through lindsay engineering he wanted 70 bucks, he was heaps busy though when i asked him he's a good guy but. Hes making me up some adj strut tops and hes done a few little bits for me here and there so i'll just catch him on a good day. Me and scott tried at scott's work the other day but failed miserably, we didnt have the right bits to hold the control arm steady. Ive also been to bridgestone in the city and they just told me 50 bucks and come an pick it up in an hour. I'm probably being heaps el'cheapo but i cant part with that cash when i know it will take them like 5 minutes, but i'll try some places on the weekend and if not i'll have to bite the bullet and see lindsay.
Yeah the crossmember does sit differently but im not sure how different just have to wait til i got one i can compare the difference. The front leaf is gone and i'm just gonna get a whiteline swaybar for now. I dunno, the cars going in for a spray job and some metal flares at carisbrook crash early next year so i'll do the crossmember then, also probably go for a larger diff with discs on rear, and seam weld the chassis too.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18inch Rims on MX83
Next Topic:Air Flow Meter Tech
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:58:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007282018661499 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.