Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Sun, 10 November 2002 22:32 Go to next message
Hi - ive got a 7AFE in my car at the moment - was wondering if anyone here knows if it is possiblt to put a 4AGE silver or blacktop head onto my 7AFE bottom end? The goal would be to make an 1800 version of the 4AGE motor with its quad throttle bodies and VVT etc. Since my car is 4wd i am after more power than just the 115KW that the 4AGE puts out - and was hoping a partial engine swap would also be cheaper...

I have very little knowledge of toyota engines as ive only owned one a couple weeks, but i know with mitsi's for example you can put a 1600cc mivec head on the 1800cc bottom end....

thanx.

AL
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Sun, 10 November 2002 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak yeah, it's possible alright.......
that's what Ray Hall turbo chargeing (Cairns) did when he built a really wild 1800cc 20 valve turbo monster for his aw11 mr2..
have a look on his web site, i cant remember his site address, look in a Hot4's mag, it will be in there...
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Mon, 11 November 2002 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes,Yes and Yes.... So far on this list there myself- 7AGE 20V, Dan Hall- 7AGE 16V (parts Now for sale!) and another guy not on the list, Paul- 7AGE 16V, currently building them. So far, I've got the 7A stripped and ready to be cleaned up, head ready for service and porting,shaving, and larger cams on the way. The engine will bolt into your car, no fuss and produce a theorical (still waiting for acutal)power of 125-130Kw (silver top)using standard stuff, with comp around 11:1. If you use a Black top, comp, will rise to nearly 11.5:1 which is way too high for PULP, so different pistons would be needed. Don't expect the 8K RPM redline, the 7A Conrod will only last up to around 7-7200 RPM.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Mon, 11 November 2002 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnny would it fair to say that the 7A series picks up a bit in torque as opposed to the high-end revvy power of the 4AGE?

i'd expect your redline would be somewhere near 6500rpm with the 7A buildup yeah?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Tue, 12 November 2002 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, your MAX RPM in governed by your cams and C/R and strength of the bottom end. So far I have found the limit of a Normal 7AFE for race application to be around 7500RPM mark, anything over, BANG!! The 4AGE heads also flow better, allowing it to rev a bit highier and also has a larger cam compared to a 7AFE, also allowing a highier RPM. Torque will increase, nautrally. Also I'm referring to a 20 Valve, not a 16 Valve with a lower RPM, which will still give you 6800 rpm. Overall, what I'm saying is that the 7A bottom will break if push above the 7500 rpm limit, so it best off to set the R/line at 7,200 for safety and longer life.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Tue, 12 November 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I think I'm the Paul Johnny was talking about also doing the conversion.. Just bought the 4age and 7afe from Dan Hall..thanks for the referral to the engines, Johnny! The 7age project finally begins!

In case ur interested, Ray Hall's MR2 webpage is at
http://www.turbofast.com.au/mr2.html
He used custom Argo conrods - I called a place for a quote (can't remember where, but it's in OZ) and they're asking $1300 for these rods, bit too much for me! But apparently these Argo's have been used at up to 9000rpm+ on GZE's. You can use stock rods, just shot-peen them and get ARP conrod bolts.

You should also get bigger cams, at least 270 because of the bigger capacity. This info is from Steve Wright from Wright Touch Automotive in USA. He's made plenty of 4/7AG(Z)(T)E's. Easiest to find him on AOL Instand Messenger as "PiRSQ90126".

Let us know how you go!

-Paul
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Tue, 12 November 2002 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paul out of interest what pistons are you using - the std 7AFE ones or a set of new ones?

shot peening - definately a good idea if using stock rods, i would have thought that a set of ARP bolts would have been par for the course with a build like this...

cheers
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Wed, 13 November 2002 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hafta use the 4age pistons, not sure exactly which spec i'll have yet..otherwise the compression drops way too low or something. Plus if you use the 7afe pistons the shape isn't ideal for proper combustion at all w/ the GE head.

-Paul
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Wed, 13 November 2002 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
off the topic..damn my bro snuck ricey chrome wipers onto my car without telling me! Mad Will take off soon as i get a chance..they nearly blinded me yesterday arvo!
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Wed, 13 November 2002 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just remember Paul, My Conrods were Shot peened and ARP bolts!! The bolts held, but not the rod, but what do you expect missing a gear and sending it to 10K. So I think next for the next race engine the argo's are the go...
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Wed, 13 November 2002 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe 10k most rods would break anyway wouldn't they? Shocked
Let us know what quotes u get on argo's, I can't even remember where i got that $1300 quote! Thanks.
PS Is shot-peening all you really need to do to the rods before u race them?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Thu, 14 November 2002 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the U.S that's all most people have done... and for $1300, I saving up the extra $1300 ie $2600, for a stroker short block Very Happy
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Sat, 16 November 2002 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah the quote i got was AU$1300
yeah if ur only gonna rev to about 7500 they're not worth it anyway. Approx how much is it to shot-peen all the rods?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Sat, 16 November 2002 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shot peening cost ?? I really can't remember I lost count of costs after the Boring and getting the pistons... I have to make a call (Mon) to get some stuff, So I'll ask then.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Sat, 16 November 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engineer that does work for us looks after a 7age that put out 240hp. it works out to be 1.9 litre engine and uses pistons out of a motor bike. i know the full specs but i cant say but it isnt something you would do to a street engine. but a good 170 hp could be had for a street one but unless you are able to do most of it yourself it would be best to put a 20v or gze in.
mick
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Tue, 03 December 2002 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the input. I thought noone had replied to my post as i'd not had any emails saying there had been responses ;) Maybe ive not turned that on in my preferences?

Anyhow - so would it be accurate to state the following:

I need:
1) 4age silvertop head with throttlebodies and injectors etc
2) To get my rods shot peened (or get more expensive aftermarket ones?)
3) 4age piston heads
4) Get the head machined and aim for about 11:1 compression? (or do i not need to get it machined and this head will give me that compression anyhow?)
5) dont take it above 7200rpm
6) 4age silvertop extractors?
7) 4age silvertop ECU?
8) 4age wiring loom?
9) 4age AFM (the silvertop is AFM not MAP, correct?)
10) anything else? Ive not done this kinda thing before and wil have to get a workshop to actually do the work. But if i know what i'm up for i can at least shop around for cheap parts! I can get a complete silvertop engine (minus loom, ecu extractors) for about $650 NZ. Another place ive called is about $500 just for the head and a thirds place was about $1200 for completye engine, loom and ecu. Not sure how these prices compare to over in OZ.

Also can anyone estimate how long this conversion might take? Am i up for 5, 10, 20 man-hours?

Many thanks!

AL

[Updated on: Wed, 04 December 2002 01:38]

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7AFE / 4AGE hybrid - Is this possible? Wed, 04 December 2002 01:43 Go to previous message
check out this thread for more info....http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=6340&start=0&rid=27&S=c96625d7 fa7528640c1701a2b16c7174
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:import wreckers in melbourne
Next Topic:good brand of thermofan?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 00:44:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005234956741333 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.