Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
projectTE37
Newcomer

April 2005
Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Sun, 03 April 2005 19:04 Go to next message
I'm currently doing a 2tg swap into a '77 corolla coupe, but am @ odds as to what diff to use. I've been told by Mr Toyota in Perth (big ups, Tony Flood!) that using a liteace diff would be easier,and fun with a 5:11 ratio, but he's talking about locking it. As cool as lockers are, I don't want to be replacing some part of my driveline every weekend!
Which brings me to converting a hilux lsd. Can anyone tell me how much it has to be shortened by, any mods to mounts and what prop. shaft to use?
Muchly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Sun, 03 April 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
using a hilux diff behind a 2T-G is so overkill its not funny.

the only real benefit of forking out for the hilux diff (G series) will be the availability of LSD's, they are very easy to find.

litace diff (E series?) tho smaller (yet still overkill), you wont be able to find a LSD very easily.

other options are F series and T series

F you pull from a Mk 2 corona (rare) and LSD from MA61 supra or aftermarket.

T from celica and LSD from aftermarket shop (expensive).

see here for info on each diff code ive spoken about

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/Drivetrain.html

projectTE37
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I agree it is overkill... I just dont ever want to have to replace a blown diff!
Also, the temptation of fitting an ARB air locker is proving too great: for those times when LSD isn't getting thru the mud. (Chances are my little beauty'll be a competition car...from circuit to rally).
Oh and by the way...not a stock 118hp 2tg. I've stroked it to roughly 2 litres and "massaged" it to produce an expected 250-260bhp.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huge overkill, esp if u want to race it, less is more remember
try an T or F series
if your talking air locker u got money to burn
projectTE37
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would I be better off with a liteace diff, or any suggestions from anyone about a suitable diff?
I just dont have faith in the strength of the KE 'rolla diff is all.
P.S. Yes an air locker is pricey, but it sure helps when you know ARB's state manager!
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta22 T series diff is your best option, pretty sure itll bolt straight up u just need to use a ta22 tailshaft and a ta22 t50 g/box, u might need to shorten the tailshaft tho.
projectTE37
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did consider that option...but i'm sticking to leaf spring and celicas are coil spring. the less mods the better.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
changing a T series will be no differnt to the hilux diff, you got to do the mounts on both
projectTE37
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe? Mon, 04 April 2005 14:04 Go to previous message
You've got a good point there, probably don't need cutting as well. But what about the celica's panhard rods and control arms? I also
remember having difficulty sourcing an LSD centre for my ol' TA22.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGTE Retorque
Next Topic:3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:10:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005897045135498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.