Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 10:49 Go to next message
Ok, This has just been done to CRAB 86's car and i thought i would help out by writing and article. Mainly to stop people PM'ing me with so many questions.

Here is how you convert to S13 coilover setup.

you need the following items

-S13 SR20 Hub with disk and caliper
-Coilovers to suit s13, can be anything
-AE86 Camber tops
-Lower control arm to suit, cant use sigma as balljints are different, we modified one.
-RA40 Tie Rods

Your first step is to sort out lower control arms. Steve from Abec cut and shut some ae86/s13 arms together to make a single arm with the S13 ball joint, S13 arms are much longer then sigma and you will find the massive track/camber is excessive for most of your cars. There are two ways of doing this. you do what i mentioned and cut and shut one (legalities are questionable) or you can cut the end off an S13 arm and then weld plates in there to make a box section, then weld a nut behind the plate, rosejoint it with another nut on the front of the plate for adjustability. (this set up is also not legal)

http://img65.exs.cx/img65/8448/struts7am.th.jpg
Struts
http://img65.exs.cx/img65/7558/lca1bg.th.jpg
Lower Control arms

Now once you have a LCA sorted out you need to redrill two holes in the control arm for the castor rod to mount to. The sway bar will go into one of the existing holes for the s13 castor rod so you do not need to redrill for this.

this pic shows the redrilled holes.
http://img140.exs.cx/img140/7387/castor7mp.th.jpg

Now, once you have done this, bolt it into the cross member as you normally would. then grab your coilovers and fit ae86 camber tops to them. like so.

http://img140.exs.cx/img140/6716/cambertop0kp.th.jpg

Once that is done, you need to remove the stock ae86 tie rods by undoing the 14mm nut on the clamp, then place a 14mm spanner on the rack end while turning the tie rod anti clockwise, some cars may find this very tight, in which case use another ring spanner on the ball joint to act as a lever.

once it is off, you can then put tjhe RA40 ones on. I reccommend getting brand new ones as the ball joints on items scourced from wreakers are just about stuffed.

Now, you are ready to bolt the Hub onto the control arm. Place the hub onto the LCA ball joint and then do it up, put the tie rod ball joint into the S13 hub steering arm and then do both up tight. Use cotter pins also.

Once you have done this you can then bolt the Coilover into the car, Bolt the camber tops into the strut tower first, then bolt the two mounting bolts to the hub, i suggest grabbing a decent sized breaker bar as this should both be very tight. You will notice that when they are loose there is some freeplay in the top bolt. pushing it back and forth will effect camber as such. So to make it easier to adjust and make equal on both sides. Push the coilover all the way back and then do up tight.

here is a pic of the brakes and thw two bolts in question.
http://img37.exs.cx/img37/7144/brakes5bo.th.jpg

ok so now everything is bolted in, make sure that the sway bar bolts into the suitable hole, and that everything is done up tight.

All that is left to do is brake lines. This is the easy part as you can use S13 lines provided you undo them from up the top of the wheel arch.

Bleed the brakes get a wheel alignment and away you go.

Why do this conversion?

-Bigger brakes
-larger range of coilovers available for s13
-stronger wheel bearings
-lots of lock available
-wider track
-ability to further set up the car to increase roadholding and handling.

thats all folks

Simon-AE86

Send a private message to this user    
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh that reminds me of the early s13 front set up used by myself and statts Smile

Also another write up and set up for sale here still !!! :

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=63518&start=0&rid=1935&S=567b51526f1 21c0d4173073f4b35c47b

Chaos
Occasional Poster

November 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff writing up the article... very useful!

Quick question tho, what lower control arms do I use if I dont want to cut and shut them (so its legal)?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2005 11:30]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will have to find one with the suitable sized ball joint, OR push S13 ball joint into a AE86/Sigma arm.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks! Smile

i'll definitly be doing this in the future... god i hate my brakes atm Confused .
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
often works out cheaper then buying ae86 coilovers
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aye, with the amount of S13 crap out there it had want to come in cheaper.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha that can work to your advantage Wink
driftpig180sx
Regular

December 2004
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the lower control arms you could try s12 gazelle ones as they are slightly shorter

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems my article isnt appreciated by many.
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon, i was looking for this info last week and couldnt find any...i was spewing. and now you come along....good work mate. much appreciated!!!!!!! now i can get cracking on my 86 again.

few questions : you can fit nissan four piston callipers directly onto s13 knuckles cant you??? (with what discs)

How did you work out where to drill the holes for the radius rod??

dude seriously, i appreciate the thread. us adelaide boys gotta look out for each other hahaha Smile
Chaos
Occasional Poster

November 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'll definately come in handy for me, definately good work. Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon - Have updated the AE86 sus faq with this. Maybe it should be converted into a PDF and put up as an article. Ill have a play with the articleisation for the front page later.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll have to use your inititve to work oput where to drill holes.. it isnt hard to would out when the control arm is dummy fitted.

yes you can fit GTR brembo brakes to the s13 hub... but honestly.. decent pads on the Sr rotors is all your ever going to need.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can put nissan r32 4 pots straight onto s13 strut

overkill for ae86 imho
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Question simon...

My car is currently running series 4 rx7 turbo rotors and calipers.... would it be difficult to get this s13 set up using the brake st up currently on my car or would i need to swap it all over to s13 brakes n stuff?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S13 brakes are better than RX7 ones anyway, and even if they arent you can always use skyline brakes if you like.
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Thu, 07 April 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh....
me likes the way they are now, just wondering if it was possible to work with what ive got instead of swapping it all out.
is the nissan stuff really better cause i dont have a single complaint about how my brakes are working now...
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Thu, 07 April 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
half the reason to do the conversion is to get a brake upgrade in the process, if you are happy with your brakes just do a coilover conversion to you sprinter struts. then you wont have to mess around with control arms etc.
Drew-AE86
Regular

August 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Thu, 07 April 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great article Simon!

Good to see some of your tricks are in writing now to read anytime, anywhere!

Now all you gotta do is type up some more useful articles Smile
Sparkle86
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Thu, 07 April 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great article Simon!
One question, how long did your cut and shut lower control arm end up being?
msports
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 19 April 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in the process of doin this conversion now. Wish i had been able to read this before i started!!

Just a qustion with your custom lca does the strut clear the sway bar link? I have used the 86 lower control arm with a tr magna ball joint in the 86 arm then s13 hubs. The problem is that the strut then fouls the sway bar link (doh) im goin to run shorter sway bar links (should work ok??)

another question do the ra40 outer tie rod ends fit in the s13 hubs ok? There not loose? The 86 one's are loose thats all.

Thanks for the help!!

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Fri, 06 May 2005 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 19:46

you will have to find one with the suitable sized ball joint, OR push S13 ball joint into a AE86/Sigma arm.

this latter option, how hard is it to push the ball joint into the excisting lca?

thanks.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Fri, 06 May 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Need a sodding big press.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Sat, 07 May 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suppose this would allow you to fit s14 4 piston calipers and discs
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Sat, 07 May 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sat, 07 May 2005 07:51

Need a sodding big press.

oh, thats covered Evil or Very Mad
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Sat, 07 May 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not 100% sure of the dimeter of the S13 balljoint being the same as ae86/sigma LCA balljoint hole.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Sun, 08 May 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about suspension stroke and stuff like that? is the nissan stuff simular in length compared to ae-86 stuff?
msports
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Mon, 09 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous message
the s13 ball joint is smaller in diamteter then the ae86 one so you cant just swap them. My conversion is done pretty much just gotta get some adaptor's for tie rods as i tried to use RA40 tie rods but there's heaps of freeplay in the taper, will make noise's under load. So im using 86 rack ends with s13 outer tie rods and make sum male to female thread adaptor's to join two up.

The other upside to this conversion is that the s13 suspension set up is shorter then the 86, so lower's the car alot Very Happy

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for?
Next Topic:3t-gte oils
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:48:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079469680786133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.