Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up? Tue, 05 April 2005 23:54 Go to next message
I have to install a charcoal cannister and unleaded filler neck to my 1J powered landcruiser (ex-diesel). Up to this point the fuel tank has been breathing straight to the atmosphere AFAIK (standard diesel breathing). What i understand is I have to run the tank breathing line to the cannister, then a line from the cannister to engine vaccum. Because the car is turbo-charged would it be a good idea to put a non return valve in the vacumm line to stop the cannister and fuel tank being pressurised on boost? Maybe the 1J engine already has one for this reason?

Also does the cannister need to be sized for the engine? That is can I just put say a corolla cannister in or should i be looking for a 7M, holden V8 or similar?

Cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 00:45]

Send a private message to this user    
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Wed, 06 April 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you find out where the original tank vent line plumbed into the 1j inlet and make sure its in the same spot i hardly see you should have a problem. But dont charcoal canisters have a one way valve in them anyways?
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Wed, 06 April 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 10:12

If you find out where the original tank vent line plumbed into the 1j inlet and make sure its in the same spot i hardly see you should have a problem. But dont charcoal canisters have a one way valve in them anyways?

the one i mucked around with didn't
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Wed, 06 April 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nor mine, but im evil, i vent my charcoal cannister to atmosphere without a vac line. Evil or Very Mad
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Wed, 06 April 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thx for the replies.

When your charcoal cannister is connected how does the tank vent when your engine isnt running like on a hot day?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Wed, 06 April 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just bumping this back up.

Does anyone know if the size of the charcoal cannister matters?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Thu, 07 April 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only reason your putting one there is to make an engineer happy, so as him.

alot of bikes dont run charcoal canisters, I've only ever seen a few that do.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Thu, 07 April 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so we found out that they dont run 1 way valves in charcoal canisters, but if you vent it to the original factory position you shouldnt have a problem, i never ran 1 on my celica, and only till i enginnerd it did i have to put one on, and my honda also just vents to the atmosphere. So if you aint enginnering it dont be to concerned.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Thu, 07 April 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had a problem now and then where fuel comes out the line that goes to the charcoal canister. I assume its not a good idea to block the line up. Anyone else have this issue?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Thu, 07 April 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it is getting engineered.

Anyone with a 1J can you tell me which point off the inlet manifold the charcoal cannister goes to incase there is a non return valve fitted thanks. If its too much trouble ill have a blow and suck on my engine when i get home Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Normally it runs off the 'E' nipple on the top of the throttle body.
I've never seen a one way valve there, but I've never worked on a car with a factory fitted turbo, its always been a conversion.

re: charcoal canister. Go find a wrecked MX73 Cressida. The charcoal canister is next to the exhaust manifold, under the brake booster.

I mounted mine here, coz I wanted it out of the engine bay (plus, there is no where to put it)
http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/ch arcoal_canister_2.jpg

Just run a vacuum line to the back of the car, and mount it on the opposite side to the exhaust.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most EFI cannisets have the 1-way valve built in - most also havea solenoid between cannister and manifold to prevent any purging to the engine/atmosphere while engine is off.

if you can't find a suitable solenoid, then use a coolant-temp-controlled vacuum valve (found on any car with old-style emissions gear) to control vapour to the engine.

the solenoid might be optional but can leave you with an engien bay that always smells of fuel vapours and an engien predisposed to backfires when starting cold.

replicate a system like this:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ec/EC_0 6.html
and you should be fine and legal.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting about the solanoid.
I don't run one with mine.
And I'm pretty sure the factory 5mge didnt either, but its not something I've looked into.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 13:31

Interesting about the solanoid.
I don't run one with mine.
And I'm pretty sure the factory 5mge didnt either, but its not something I've looked into.

5M-E's run a Temp controlled VSV....pretty sure 5mge's would too?

1JZ's run an ECU controlled VSV as far as I'm aware? (the valve that hangs under the inlet manifold?).

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah man, I'm pretty sure it was straight from the TB to the charcoal canister.
But I can't remember.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you reckon the engineer will pass it off without the vsv?

How did you go CrUZida?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He was fine with it all, I just had to secure it with something better than zipties.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 16:17

He was fine with it all, I just had to secure it with something better than zipties.

What, like your oil filter?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, he never said anything about the oil filter before
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm talking about your current super fandangled bracketry. He hasn't seen that yet.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Thu, 07 April 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 16:57

I'm talking about your current super fandangled bracketry. He hasn't seen that yet.

Indeed he hasn't, but that will be changed, soon.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment attn: 1J owners Fri, 15 April 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys I got the following Rochester or AC Delco canister from a VP commodore yesterday:

http://img134.echo.cx/img134/3118/charcoalcanister9qr.jpg

I am confused how to hook it up. There are 4 outlets a,b,c and d which is located pointing downwards on the bottom face of the canister.

"C" is labelled "Fuel Tank" so no worries there.

"D" on the bottom I believe vents to the atmosphere.

"B" is labelled PCV, I have no way of hooking this up to my PCV so I just think it requires inlet manifold pressure.

"A" is not labelled but I think it controls purge or something and lso needs vacuum signal.

"C" and "D" have a direct path i.e. if I blow or suck in either air will go in or out of the other end.

If i block my finger on "C" and blow in "D" air comes out of "B" but will not go back the other way.

"A" obviously is a vaccum diaphram that controls the opening and closing of "B". If I blow or suck in "A" I hear the diaphragm working.

Any help?

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up? Fri, 15 April 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

"A" obviously is a vaccum diaphram that controls the opening and closing of "B". If I blow or suck in "A" I hear the diaphragm working.

Just going by this, hook up both A and B to the place on the throttle body.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up? Fri, 15 April 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most of the others only use 3 nipples: tank, atmo and vac.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up? Fri, 15 April 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 10:37

Most of the others only use 3 nipples: tank, atmo and vac.

Yes, but this one has a vacuum switch on it that needs to be operated inorder for the CC to do its job.

Hence both A and B need to have constant vacuum.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up? Fri, 15 April 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies.

Im raking my brain, but unfortunatley I dont seem to know anyone with a commodore which I could take a squiz at, I think it's pretty self explantory though. Do you think I should still be fitting a non return valve in the vacuum signal lines for when it's on boost, or perhaps the diaphragm on the canister might perform this function?

I think I need to hook a hose to each port and start teh blowing and sucking Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Charcoal Canister Fitment - How do I hook this thing up? Fri, 15 April 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most definately put a oneway valve in.

You dont want something to go wrong and pressurise the fuel tank do you?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Charcoal Cannister Fitment Fri, 15 April 2005 05:38 Go to previous message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 11:37

I've had a problem now and then where fuel comes out the line that goes to the charcoal canister. I assume its not a good idea to block the line up. Anyone else have this issue?

Mine is blocked and is sans canister, havent had any problems.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:CG-LOCK Performance Vehicle Seatbelt Enhancer?
Next Topic:3sge conrod casting number info ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:32:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009148120880127 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.