Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
PooJou
Occasional Poster

December 2004

Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Wed, 06 April 2005 09:05 Go to next message
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if any of you guys/gals are running a tuned 4AGE, that is, bigger cams/strengthened internals. The reason being, i nutted out how much it'd cost to convert to a 4AGZE and then realised i needed insurance. Let's just say the insurance is a very large number due to pretty much the mods. So i've re-thought my path and i want to go the "highly tuned 4AGE" way. One of the guys i know suggested dropping in a larger Camshaft (i think it was.. 282? 272?) and (obviously) getting a new exhaust. I'm only looking to get the engine to around 130kw... maybe even 115-125 will do. He says that dropping in the bigger cams (if they're not THAT much bigger) won't cuase the stock ECU to spaz out. Does anyone have concrete proof of this? I've just found it hard to find a regular streetgoing worked 4AGE (ie. no 10,000rpm wonders tongue.gif)
Thanks in advance!
Oh and if anyone wants to point me in the direction of any guides (besides bill's, read that) or specifics of any cars with aforementioned engines, i'd be immensely appreciative.
  Send a private message to this user    
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Wed, 06 April 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well things like rasing the compression, getting a ITB setup working, cams like u said, aftermarket computer should see you getting round 85kw atw no problems.

a question ive always wondered is, if u are usung an after market computer and running big cams, what can you set the Rev limter on a 16v 4age too? as compared to a blacktop 20v for that matter? stock internals and oil pump etc. obviously this would increase wear and tair dramatically, but im talking about thinks snapping and breaking.

maybe 8500rpm?
PooJou
Occasional Poster

December 2004

Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Wed, 06 April 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i'm currently working out exhaust specifics atm.. looks like 2.25" to a 2.25" muffler... with extractors etc. I'm still not too clear on whether or not the ECU would need some help because i'da thought it'd starve the engine? Or run it too rich? Either way, i don't want it to spaz out haha.. Oh and i'm not looking for "omg power" mods.. i intend to have the 4AGE kicking along for a while at least.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Wed, 06 April 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might find that working a 4age to your power goals will attract as much insurance problems as a 4agze.
PooJou
Occasional Poster

December 2004

Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Wed, 06 April 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ya think? They really do want to bend me over and ream me with insurance for the 4AGZE.... I was thinking cams would be less... drastic Smile not to mention less... visible Razz
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Wed, 06 April 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a proper computer for the car. It will run everything that the engine needs to have and do it much better than the factory ECU ever could. If tuned properly, it wont run rich or lean. And if you're going for the less drastic.. less visible approach, you could always gut your old 4AG ECU and stick the aftermarket one in the shell eh? Razz
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Thu, 07 April 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can easily supply new billet cams that will be fine with the stock ECU, and not over-do the crappy shim over adjustment. These give the engine a lot more "sparkle" in the 3000-6000 rpm range. with a good exhaust that will make a noticable improvement. I have had these cams in the daughters 4AG powered car for ages and they are fine. They work with the stock shim range but you will have to shim the head yourself. If you are really keen, I can set them up in a ported head. PM me if interested.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Thu, 07 April 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it seems the humble 4AGE will take a lot more revs than what toyota gave us. there are plenty of AE86 corolla's in Japan that simply run carbies and do away with the EFI and rev them up to and over 9000 on stock internals!!!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Modding a 4AGE (smallport 100kw), More power without forcefeeding Thu, 07 April 2005 03:00 Go to previous message
Just like Takumi..... 11,000rpm.... i can beat all. Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need some eletrical help - 7M-GTE in Mk2
Next Topic:Vacuum Hoses 7MGE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:37:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053579807281494 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.