Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Lead filled diffs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
icon5.gif  Lead filled diffs? Sat, 09 April 2005 00:53 Go to next message
Whats the go with filling you diff with lead, I've heard a number of people mention it...

What affect does it have to the diff????

What damage does it do to the diff???
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Lead filled diffs? Sat, 09 April 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the "propper" way of locking a center you fill it with melted lead and you have a locker you can later unlock if needs be and dosent weaken the center by welding.

Allan
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sat, 09 April 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might have a think about it... I've found someone who can do it reasonably cheaply, And I have a couple of friends who are going to do it there aswell...
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Lead filled diffs? Sat, 09 April 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you get it in there without making a big mess??
can't submerge the whole thing?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'm not to sure about that...

Maybe someone who is familiar with the technique can elaborate...
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im quite sure u would have to take the centre out and disassemble to do that...
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only heard of using aluminium as the filling metal. A company in Australia called "Arrow Diffs" does them, probably find them through google.

Cheers
Phil
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are at tarren point in the south east of sydney. The bloke that owns it's name is Rama. Nice guy, good company. sorry i dont have the number, I lost my simcard.
gtmick
Regular

September 2004
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aparently he used to be on atkinson road but does not seem to be their anymore! does this guy still exist?
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh he moved to about a kilometer away, its in i think Woodfield blvd. its either woodfield or the next one over ( parrallel) They are near the corner of woodfield and tarren point rd about two shops up they are at the back of another shop, but you can see the sign from the drivewaay I think its precission stainless or something, if not precission some stainless steel company. He still has his sweet supercharged 1J bmer racer as far as I know.

Sorry Im a little shady on the details but I havent been in OZ for a year now so the memorys aint too fresh.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Lead filled diffs? Sun, 10 April 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might go to this guy, he would have to be better than the ethnics a.k.a diff technics...

JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Lead filled diffs? Mon, 11 April 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, hes a good bloke to deal with, gets my approval, no screwing around.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Lead filled diffs? Tue, 12 April 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went out there today... It took almost 2 hours to find...

The guy is a nice bloke, he said he wants 200 to do a normal sized diff, then 250 for something bigger like supras...

And he still has that awesome BMW, I was sussing it out a fair bit...

He uses an aluminium alloy and says noone has ever brought one back complaining that it broke...
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Lead filled diffs? Tue, 12 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hope they wouldnt break, its a huge lump of alloy in your diff housing
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Lead filled diffs? Tue, 12 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are we talking uninstal adn install times once this has been done roughly?

say get it done and swap in for track days.
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Lead filled diffs? Tue, 12 April 2005 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 hours??? were my dierctions really that bad?
Oh well, what can you do.
Just so you know, the guy makes other custom stuff too, although he doesnt advertiswe the fact, he makes anything out of stailess. Maqnifolds, piping custom tanks, and all sorts of other crud, and he is the best tig welder i have EVER come across, if it wasnt for the heat colouring at the joins you almost couldnt tell it was ever seperate. amazing....
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Lead filled diffs? Tue, 12 April 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its because I was accidentally looking for Woodfall, not woodfield road... But even then I must have driven up and down that street a thousand times looking for the Stainless place...

Yeah, he does amazing stuff with Stainless steel, He was making railings for a jetty when I was in there... they looked awesome...

Like Jaze said, perfect welding, it was dead level with the metal itself...
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: Lead filled diffs? Wed, 13 April 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$200 !!! what exactly is he doing to the diff? go to race pace at kirrawee and they'll lock a diff up for $50 bucks
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Lead filled diffs? Wed, 13 April 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 11:00

its the "propper" way of locking a center you fill it with melted lead and you have a locker you can later unlock if needs be and dosent weaken the center by welding.

Allan

$50 gets you a weld.... the dodgy method.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Lead filled diffs? Wed, 13 April 2005 08:57 Go to previous message
buy an ae86 and bung some lead in the diff, im sure your "perfect" weight distribution will still be intact, although your weight would level it out Smile

Eldar.O.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE Rev Limit
Next Topic:1GGTE boost
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:37:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057690143585205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.