Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Sat, 30 April 2005 01:15 Go to next message

i need an electronic dizzy that will fit an 18rg, don't care if it is converted from 22r or something, as long as it is done well. Dont need coil or ignitor, but may take them if available.

Thanks
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Sat, 30 April 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If no one sell you one there not that hard to mod you can use 22re or 2tgeu internals just take the magnetic pick with the rotating base out take the pice wich has the four pick up points for the spark "the screw is located under the rotor cap" take it out remove the old bits out of your 18rg one and put the other bits in. That easy. All you have to do then is set the air gap on the magnetic pick up not hard either give it enough so that it just clears. take the little resistor off the side of the dizzy not needed and thats it done.
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Sun, 01 May 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got all the bits to make one up, can have it all ready in no time if you want. The pickup etc all work, and were in my car till i made up another (polished up the new one).

Let me know if you are still interested by emailing me on
townsville_toyota@yahoo.com.au or O_man_ra23@yahoo.com.au

Cheers, Owen
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Mon, 02 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i got a 21r dizzy the other day, the 21r dizzy is a larger diameter than the original 18rg one and wont be easy to modify.

However, the sensor and top part of the shaft appear to be a direct swap in the 18rc dizzy that im running at the moment.

the 18rc and the 18rg dizzys are of different design and diameter. 18rc being larger.

o_man_ra23: thanks, ill see how i go with this 21r one first.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Mon, 02 May 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is little difference in size between the 18r and 18rg dizzy the only difference is that some of the older ones were Nippon denso and the later ones were bosh so there not compatible in the first place also. You need a bosh dizzy there more common than a Nippon. There is only one difference in the bosh, the really early dizzy have only a small hole in the side where the trigger is connected wire come out and the later ones they have a removable plastic piece with a bolt through it. You need the one with the removable plastic piece because the rubber boot on the electronic dizzy sits in there.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 07:40]

RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Mon, 02 May 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hrmm.. interesting...

1st dizzy says 18rg on it. Second dizzy says 18r on it. Points are completely different between them. Even the cap is different. The 18r one is of larger diameter, and the 21r sensor and base plate will fit inside it replacing where the points mount. The 18rg dizzy is smaller and there is no way the 21r sensor including base plate will fit in.

Also the mechanical weights are set up differently between the 18r and 18rg dizzy's.

So maybe i have something rare? i will get some photos and part numbers to show you.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Mon, 02 May 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please do send i have been playing with 18r motors for years now and never seen any difference even my 18rgeu has the same dizzy the only difference was the dizzy cap was black and swaped it with the one of my 18rc when i was trouble shooting.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Mon, 02 May 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please do send i have been playing with 18r motors for years now and never seen any difference even my 18rgeu has the same dizzy the only difference was the dizzy cap was black. I even swaped it with the one of my 18rc when i was trouble shooting.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Mon, 02 May 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woops 2 times
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Tue, 03 May 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
21r and 18r have interchangable internals. they do look different but when u pull them apart they are the same. also im sure the weightsare the same but when u have it apart you should prolly get it regraphed anyway as u have to stretch the springs a bit to pull them apart. i have one under the house somewhere if your still interested.
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Tue, 03 May 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 18:18

21r and 18r have interchangable internals. they do look different but when u pull them apart they are the same. also im sure the weightsare the same but when u have it apart you should prolly get it regraphed anyway as u have to stretch the springs a bit to pull them apart. i have one under the house somewhere if your still interested.

yeh, thats what ive gathered. The 18r and 21r are interchageable, but the 18rg one i have is totally different (photos coming on the weekend when i pull out 18r one)

I won't be needing it regraphed though because im locking all the advance mechanisms. It will be a fixed trigger and the megasquirt will calculate the spark timing. This is how ive got it running atm, but using points in an old 18r dizzy.
mcostalos
Regular

February 2005

Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Tue, 03 May 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a spare one in excellent condition if you are interested. Make me an offer.

Michael
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Wed, 04 May 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have one too, you an have just the dizzy, or the dizzy, ignighter and all..pm me..
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Wed, 04 May 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still got mine if you wanna offer me for it too
Cheers,
Owen
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Fri, 06 May 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yes yes... this weekend im going to try to convert one of my points dizzies to electronic, so no need for one atm. thank for all the offers though
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Sat, 07 May 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ok, i have completed by electronic dizzy conversion. Seems to work well. Unbeleivable how easy the 21r parts fit the 18r dizzy.

ra_28: i have some photos of points and things at my web site at:

http://dabox.blogsite.org/

if you look closely you can see how the points in the 18rg dizzy are mounted differently to the 18r one. You should also beable to see the part number stickers.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: electronic dizzy to suit 18rg Sun, 08 May 2005 07:44 Go to previous message
ra_28 wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 14:51

There is little difference in size between the 18r and 18rg dizzy the only difference is that some of the older ones were Nippon denso and the later ones were bosh so there not compatible in the first place also. You need a bosh dizzy there more common than a Nippon. There is only one difference in the bosh, the really early dizzy have only a small hole in the side where the trigger is connected wire come out and the later ones they have a removable plastic piece with a bolt through it. You need the one with the removable plastic piece because the rubber boot on the electronic dizzy sits in there.

See how i asked if its not Nippon denson that what it looks like or does it say bosh on it? plus thats the old style see how it doesn't have the removable plastic piece
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 Twin cam Grill, RED
Next Topic:TA22 Rear View mirror
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 00:51:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.087208986282349 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.