Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 09:22 Go to next message
Lady's and Gentleman,

Wondering what to put in my TA22 Celica. Wanting a turbo engine, something that revs with ease, puts out plenty of power through reasonable modifications, preferably light to retain good handling. Any idea's? Will be performing the conversion myself with some help from my mechanic friend.

On another note, how hard would it be to put a EJ20 turbo out of an STI into the TA22? Would it require widening the chassis rails?

All suggestions as to what engine/gearbox combination greatly appreciated and what sort of performance i can expect from it.

Thanks
Ben

(edited out the rev to ~10,000 rpm as it didn't get the response i was after)

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:21]

Send a private message to this user    
mr2gze
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
strip it and put a cbr 900 fireblade engine in and turbo it, that'll rev to 10000rpm, be light and powerful. Or maybe ive been playing gt4 too much Confused
JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
152E

you could bolt a turbo on one, but at 310hp why would you bother.

Jordan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10000rpm is a little bit of a squirt accross the room figure isn't it? Confused
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanna see someone work a 1UZ-FE Smile
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want 10000rpm get a rotary. youl need to spend lots of $$$$$ to get 10000rpm from a piston motor.
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10k is doable depending on the engine how bout a fj20 or a sr20 a mate of mine had just a turbo and cooler on a stock engine and reved it to 9200rpm on a burnout at the creek ????? with sum mods anything is possible .... another thing is the honda engines are good for that sort of revs?? why that high why do you want to rev an engine that hard ????? you must like to throw money in the wind........
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 20:30

10000rpm is a little bit of a squirt accross the room figure isn't it? Confused

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Exactly what I was thinking, but you put it into words so much better than I could. Very Happy

Seriously though, nothing short of a bike engine will rev like that unless you want to spend a bazillion dollars. And since a TA22 weighs 4 times your typical sports bike, it wouldn't perform very well with a bike engine.

But why does it have to rev to X rpm anyway? Decide how much power you want and choose an engine which delivers that power within your budget. Who cares if it makes the power at 5000 or 10000rpm? Power is power.

As for the EJ20 idea, it might fit if you mounted it on top of the bonnet.
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As for the EJ20 idea, it might fit if you mounted it on top of the bonnet.
[/quote]

that is a pisser
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
or you could put the motor up and down in the engine bay that would make for a hell of a bonnet ornimant ha ha ha ha ha
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesn't have to rev to 10k... just up high if u know wat i mean, like i know stock cars such as vvti corolla's that rev to 8k... i just want lots of torque... ??
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont get high revs and high torque as was said you need to pik a power figure and then go for it ???????? all is up to you the sti makes all its power then stops at 7200rpm and they haul arse ???? chuck in a 1ggtte with a set of gt25/30, ecu , forgies that should be good for bout 450-500 how much do you want that is the biggest question you need to answer yourself???????????
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm with Jordan. Stick in a 152E engine. Won't be cheap, but it'll run down just about any non-turbo 4cyl around. Besides, it'd be rather unique.

However, I'd like to see a turb'd 18RG. Make as much power as a 1GGTE and would be something different - and cheaper than getting your hands on a 152E.

seeyuzz
river
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 20:34

I wanna see someone work a 1UZ-FE Smile

Just you wait. Trying to convince a certain someone to let me work some magic on his car.
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it even possible to get hold of 152E?

i thought this was impossible to get, just a engine that everyone wants, but no one have? or are there actualle engines like this for sale?

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got your answer - keep the 2T, get a big bag of weed, smoke it, let other people you speak to smoke it, then tell them how powerful and torquey your 2T is, and what it can rev too!!!

Talk about pie in the sky! Seriously, get a Silvertop 20V, add a turbo and a decent aftermarket computer and enjoy the ride, both physically, mentally, and most importantly - finacially!
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jcmunga wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 20:35

if you want 10000rpm get a rotary. youl need to spend lots of $$$$$ to get 10000rpm from a piston motor.

My brothers car revs to 10,000rpm standard. Then again i dont think a 657cc 3 cylinder engine would be too good in your car Laughing
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a motor that is easily modified to 10000rpm, not likely! unless a rotor or bike motor, both of which would require fairly substantial modifications to fit into the car and probably some mods to reliably rev to 10000rpm.

an ej20 out of an sti?? is this a competition to see who can fit the most awkward motor? seriously have you considered the form factor of these engines,

bike - where do i start.... everything and anything!!

rotor - has been done a bit - high and front mounted, some other drama's but engine is small which helps a lot.

sti - well its a flat 4 for starters... and gearbox is awd

there's usually a reason why you don't see ej20 ta22's...
can't quite put my finger on it tho but i think its because
its impractical, almost impossible, and costs the earth!

anything can be done for a price though! may not be legal for
road use but if you do it i'll be amazed Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:01]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about an old Cosworth V8 (DFV/DFY)? 500hp and 11000 rpm. 150 kg worth of engine. Later ones had up to 700 hp and were conveniently 75 degrees - you'll save heaps because you won't have to do a rack and pinion. Of course all your savings can now be spent on a $15000 Hewland box.

An old DFV is probably cheaper than a 152E. [/sarcasm]

Do you own a TA22?

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:26]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Wed, 04 May 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

GT, what an excellent idea. Yeah, whack in a Cossie!

seeyuzz
river
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did a bit of a search. DFV Cosworths are selling from 30000 pounds for an old dozza that's done 900 miles (although they will go for 2000 miles before needing a rebuild) right up to 50000 pounds for a brand spanker still in the box. But of course you didn't need to ask because as long as it pulls 10000 rpm, that's all that counts.

Meets all the requirements for your Celica. Should rip a mean skid too and will give you heaps of street cred.
http://www.autoracing1.com/images/2001Misc/Ford100Years/cosworthDFV.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 00:39]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not put a 1JZ-GTE in it? has been done before by a gent on this forum. Again, not 10,000 RPM, but still a mighty powerful engine.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't you have to modify the firewall and radiator position to fit a 1J though? Given the 22 engine bay isn't that long?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 19:22

preferably light to retain good handling.

I think this rules out the 1JZ idea, apart from the fact it won't fit or be legal in a TA22. Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Cosworth BDG will do the trick! 450Hp up to about 10500RPM and its alllll alloy so its light as a feather Shocked
And about 16k should get you one thats in bits. Then budget another 2k a month to keep it running Confused
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 22:31

Seriously, get a Silvertop 20V, add a turbo and a decent aftermarket computer and enjoy the ride, both physically, mentally, and most importantly - finacially!

Now that's an idea!! 20V 4A-GE will rev 'till the cows come home and add a turbo for that mid-range torque. Very Happy

That would be a reasonably light option as well?

If money was no object - how about a 2ZZ-GE turbocharged?
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: High Revving Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 22:31

Seriously, get a Silvertop 20V, add a turbo and a decent aftermarket computer and enjoy the ride, both physically, mentally, and most importantly - finacially!

Now that's an idea!! 20V 4A-GE will rev 'till the cows come home and add a turbo for that mid-range torque. Very Happy

That would be a reasonably light option as well?

If money was no object - how about a 2ZZ-GE turbocharged?
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what aboot a 1GGTE? they are a bit of a squeeze but they do fit... 2.0 litre inline six and you have a choice of na, turbocharged or supercharger.

they arent that heavy either...

of couse, there are people here that dont like em...

meh

Eldar.O.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has everyone forgot the jzz26dett
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 14:13

has everyone forgot the jzz26dett

That can nevaH l00s3!!!!!!111111eleveneleveneleven
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kind of power can you get out of a 3tgte? its quite a common swap isn't it? pretty much bolt in i've heard? what sort of mods need to be done to it to produce good torque/power?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, go the 4AGZE! Supercharged 1.6L. Later on you can toss the SC and fit a turbo.
I can help out with the conversion or do the complete job for you including the mod plate Smile
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/3tginfo.htm
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just dont know if that will cut it, i think it will run out of puff short of the performance im after... i was thinking to bore out the 3t to 2 litres and modify from there... would have good potential yea? where are you located?
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S GTE
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i second the 4agze idea, u can make a 3tgte put out 550hp but it aint cheap, 4agze with a turbo is about bang for ur buck

3TGTE's are a bit long in the tooth and parts CAN be hard to source, they have a strong block and can make good power if u throw money at them, but if you want to throw money at something, try a 3SGTE, they make good power stock and the money u would spend building a powerfull 3t, would cover the cost of installing the 3sgte - and ur car will really move then with plenty of room for modifications Smile
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1, you've done the conversion and put a 3SGTE in your TA22 yes?? how hard is this? what would be a better idea, 3SGTE and then not so much money to throw at mods or 3TGTE and still plenty of money to throw at mods... which is the best option?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very hard, yes.
Because you cant do the conversion your self, you'll need at least 10k to have the job done for you.

As for the 3TGTE, by the time you find one, rebuild it(because it will need it), then fit it and have it certified, you would be best off with 4AGZE then later fitting a turbo with a decent IC.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unrealistically: 426 hemi in top-fuel spec. The skid that'll rip will see you as the chairman of dunlop the next day, and then you'll be able to buy the EPA so there's no nasty sides.

Realistically: Turbo'd 4AG. Stock innards are happy with 8000rpm, it's reasonably well weighted, easy to fit, and all round a good thing. Just don't use a bloody T50 or T diff in it unless you like doing stuff again!
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres a bike engine that might work
http://www.starterupsteve.com/funny12/35.jpg

and if that doesnt work, this one is good for at least 1hp
http://www.starterupsteve.com/funny12/1225.jpg

But seriously, try:
3tgte, would probably be the easiest,
4agte, bit more costly but better power output the the 3t, or
sr20, cheaper performance parts

cheers
chris
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Wondering what to put in my TA22 Celica. Wanting a turbo engine, something that revs with ease, puts out plenty of power through reasonable modifications, preferably light to retain good handling. Any idea's? Will be performing the conversion myself with some help from my mechanic friend.

Where does it say he needs/wants it to rev to ten grand? Where does it say he wants it to rev to any set RPM?

This bloke might not know much about engines/conversions but its probably a safe bet that he can read unlike most of the sarcastic pricks that have posted in this thread.

www.toyknobs.org.au/fuckwits

How about a genuine bit of advice you wankers..
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

There. and it did say it had to rev to 10. toyknobs? fuckwits? nice

Quote:

This bloke might not know much about engines/conversions but its probably a safe bet that he can read unlike most of the sarcastic pricks that have posted in this thread.

ironic isnt it.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 22:31]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Thu, 05 May 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nudes wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 08:17

Quote:

Where does it say he needs/wants it to rev to ten grand? Where does it say he wants it to rev to any set RPM?

You must be about 15? Yeah?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nudes wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 08:17

How about a genuine bit of advice you wankers.

The original message asked for recommendations of a small light powerful motor that would rev comfortably to 10000 rpm. As responsible and caring people, we answered the original question. The 152E and various Cosworth motors fit all his requirements.

If you focus all the energy of your infinitesmally small brain, you will notice that the original message has subsequently been edited when none of these engines was remotely close to his budget. He even states this in his original post. See, here:

However it is noted that your input is limited to a generic slagfest. Thankyou for your valuable contibution. Your opinion is noted and you are kindly requested to fuck off.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:11]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nudes wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 06:17

Yep, I'll have a serious crack at this comment too:

After my jest, I suggested a silvertop 20V motor with a turbo - it basically filled his requirements, dependant on his financial situation. Others have suggested going stright to a 4AGZE, however if you can show me where to buy good 4AGZE's (hell I'd even look at just buying long motors!), at a decent price, I'll happily buy several per month - the silvertop is plentiful and available, and cheap. I'll go back to the old saying: Performance, Reliable, Cheap - you can only have two.

Now back to jest:

What about a fucken big lacky band wound up and then let go - thats got all three - performance, reliability, and cheapness?!!!

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually being serious.

How are we to know that Benny G isn't some incredibly wealthy eccentric who could think of doing nothing better than dropping a Cosworth DFV into his old Dozza for shits and giggles?

Of course Benny G just happened to be another 15 year old dreamer who diverted so much blood flow from his brain to his penis whilst wanking about 10000 rpm engines that he was unable to think straight and asked a ridiculous question.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, ..., yeah true, the question did show youth behind it, but then again I was young once too, ..., many years ago, ..., not as many years ago as River, ..., but yeah it was a while, ..., I remember, ..., this one time, at band camp, ...

Hehehehehehe

Now, where's the "unsubscribe from topic" button - I've given my all, I have nothing left?!

Regrets, ..., I've got a few, ..., but thats a song for another day!
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey fella's... why all the bullshit??

yes my question was a bit stupid to start with, but i changed it and was getting some good responses. Im only 17 and the whole reason of me posting on here was to get an idea of costs and what will work etc. so thanks for the help to most that have contributed.

i dont mind people giving me shit because of my age or question etc. so dont worry bout sticking up for me anyone, just makes the crap get worse, all im after is info.

Cheers all
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You bring me your car some cash, your choice of engine, some time and i'll give you a car all ready to go.

Thats some good info! Is it not?
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~asterix/search.JPG

Eldar.O.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

CLG wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 11:34

Well, ..., yeah true, the question did show youth behind it, but then again I was young once too, ..., many years ago, ..., not as many years ago as River, ..., but yeah it was a while, ..., I remember, ..., this one time, at band camp, ...
hehehehehehe

Hoy! I saw that. Why you young punk!!!!!! Smile

seeyuzz
old man river
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1... by some cash do you mean the 10k that you referred to in your earlier post... as i can't afford to pay for the engine, an overhaul, all the bolt on goodies, brakes, suspension, respray etc PLUS on top of that have to pay $10k to fit an engine. I can afford all of the parts, its the labour thats the killer.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also, if anyone knows of places around brisbane where i can get the gear im going to need... e.g. upgraded brakes, suspension, engine parts, driveline gear?

anyone know of anyone selling a 3TGTE or even a TA22 with one in it?

lastly, anyone know of a good respray shop in brisbane?
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm well my face is red..

Quote:

ironic isnt it

Yes it is ironic..

It is in my experience that, on this forum, anyone who is asking for advice gets sarcastic, abusive replies. I think most will agree that the general vein of this thread is tongue in cheek, sarcastic and condescending.

Coming from a background of little motoring interest and with a peer group that has little to no interest in anything remotely automotive i was trying to get a bit of information which i could not obtain without going to a workshop. I thought "i know i'll canvas a forum and hopefully get this information".. silly me. I got plenty of comments of which none were useful or constructive and most were similar to those apparent in this thread.

Yes i am also seventeen but have managed to overcome all the bullshit i copped when i expressed my interest in a 20v 4age conversion into a KE70.
I managed to source all parts and prepare everything short of a computer (all work done myself) when i was forced to sell up as the factory i was using to complete the conversion was made unavailable to me. (i was also pretty much broke by this stage Smile )

My genuine advice to Bennyg would be to talk to people in person to avoid sarcastic old prongs that have nothing better to do than poke fun at young blokes trying to do exactly what they do on 1/10th of the budget and with 1/100th of the experience. How are we to get experience if we dont start somewhere.

I would have thought that we, as young enthusiasts, would be encouraged and given some advice from those that are infinitely more experienced and knowledgable.

As for my previous comment I was merely venting my own frustration that I kept to myself so as not to put a negative spin on my own threads. I apologise but do not retract my comment.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nudes wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 19:43

Hmm well my face is red..

Quote:

ironic isnt it

Yes it is ironic..

It is in my experience that, on this forum, anyone who is asking for advice gets sarcastic, abusive replies. I think most will agree that the general vein of this thread is tongue in cheek, sarcastic and condescending.

Don't come here then...........

If you are serious about doing an engine conversion you will find the info you need. If you have half a brain. If you rely on asking a question in a forum to do it all for you then you are not realy serious IMHO.

Who gives a shit anyway?
Razz
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benny G, granted I don't know your abilities, and I wont disclose my occupation, but from experience the last thing a 17yo needs in a TA22 is heaps of power.

Seriously, spend your money on a basic 2TGEU or 4AGE conversion with an exhaust, get some brakes and suspension and learn how to drive it first. Which one will have to be your choice, I wanted old school so went for the 2TGEU. I purposely built this car to a budget, which isn't much, about $3000 including respray (doing myself - not hard, just takes time), suspension, interior (ok the father-in-law is a trimmer). But you get the point. BTW, my last car was a WRX, I've had turbo's, their great, but I wanted an N/A engine, I wanted to do the EFI conversion myself, its the only way to learn. And I had the money to go a 3SGTE if I had of wanted. Unless your on the track, there's only so much power you can use on the roads.

Both the 2TGEU and the 4AGE engines have enough poke to make the Celica a bit more interesting then standard. I'm not a mechanic, but I've built a few cars and the only way to learn is to search, ask questions when you can't find the answer, and give it a dip yourself. Get yourself manual and pull apart the standard engine and find out how things work.

Good luck with your build.

PS. get yourself on a first name basis with the local Toyota wreckers. My local guy lets me borrow a stack of bits so I can see which lower control arm to use, for example.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers filthman.

one thing though... i don't necassarily want a whole heap of power as such... i want torque... you know, roast off the line torque. v8 beater torque. Im not real interested in high speed on public streets... just getting to speed fast, if you know wat i mean.

but yea, thanks for your suggestions
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2TGEU / 3T Hybrid - 1800cc, just a bit more torque then the 2TG, EFI so you don't have to tune it everytime you drive it (unless you have the money for webers). Mines just a standard 2TGEU with 3T bottom end, flycuts obviously. More capacity and higher compression. Idealy a set of cams (Wade made custom cams) and a aftermarket ECU, and mod your dizzy so your ECU is fuel ignition and not just fuel.

I wasn't too worried about Cams and ECU's, I'm just running stockies, but going from a standard 4K to this is still more then double the power at the rear wheels. It will only be good for about 16 second 1/4 miles, but should be a fun car to drive.
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot before, yes the 2TG is older, and a bit more difficult to find parts for, but if its well built you shouldn't need parts all the time. And you can use your standard engine mounts and gearbox.

4AGE is good, but extra money in gearbox, engine mounts, etc, etc.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going from a 350z to something with 16 second quarter miles just wont excite i dont think... but i could be wrong.
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Powerful TA22 engine Fri, 06 May 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
depends are you after a quarter mile racer or something thats good around the hills and on the street??

Theres plenty of 10sec street reg cars around Vic, but there not much good for anything except for a straight line.

I went from a 13 sec car, 205kw at the fly, 125kw at all four wheels, how often can you do a 13 sec time on the street???
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cooling problems ae86
Next Topic:Funny noise in my AE86...help?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:14:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092241764068604 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.