Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fuel Injector Testing - How to ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 01:41 Go to next message
If its a stupid question I will apologize up front, but -

Is their any way of testing fuel injectors while they are still in the engine ? Can you put a multimeter across the injector pins and/or the plug pins and get any sort of meaningful numbers ?

I'm looking for a leaky injector and short of pulling spark plugs I was hoping for another cluey way of doing this ....

Thanks.
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A multimeter will tell you if the solenoid/coil that activates the injector is unbroken...this won't be able to tell you if the injector is leaking however!

Cheers
Wilbo
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, like mine Laughing That one injector I have is open circuit, whereas the others are like 3 ohms.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good on you guys....

So Wilbo, a mulitmeter between the injector plug and its coil to test for continuity, yes ?

And JCMF, resistance across the injector itself, 3 ohm is good, infinity / zero is bad ?

Thanks guys.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To test the injectors coil, unplug it and then put the multimeter across the two pins on the injector.

It should defiantly have a low reading in ohms. Infinite is bad Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should be 3 ohms, because they are Gen2 low impedence injectors. The Gen3 ones will read higher. Open circuit though, or infinity, it fuxx0red Smile

Ah well, we have a spare atm thanks to the god that is kevz0r that is being cleaned as we speak.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, that helps me immensly. I will check out my injectors tonight.

JCMF, do you know if Toyota changed to high impedence injectors in the Gen 3 GZE engine, like with GTE motor ? (Granted you have a Gen 2 engine). I think I might end up needing some Gen 3 yellow top injectors myself actually.

Cheers,
Mitch.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry mate, don't know much about the 1GGZE at all. Can you check a Gen3 1GGZE wiring diagram to see if it runs a ballast resistor?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will have a look mate, and see if my Japanese interpretation can cut the mustard.

When do you get the cleaned injector/s back and slot the lot back into the car ? I'm keen to get the 'after' results !!!! (Just like you I reckon Very Happy )
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will pick up the injector on the way home, and then i'll plug it in tonight and see how purdy she idles. Ain't taking it for a spanking, I've got no brakes.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet, and you don't need brakes if the road is long enough, but surely you are going to try and pull some boost and test the solution ?

Just tie a 18R/21R onto a rope and toss that out the back hatch when you want to stop.....

I take it that a ballast resistor is on the low impedence Gen 2 style injectors and is like a block fixed onto the coil ? Or do I have this backwards ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fuel Injector Testing - How to ? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:33 Go to previous message
Haha, I had to use the handbrake last night Smile Too bad Peewee lives on a hill. Least it didn't have the power to go fast when running on 4 cylinders Wink Ballast resistor looks like a ridged metal box with a lead and a round (in my case) yellow plug. If you dig up a picture of my engine complete, you'll find it on the strut tower behind the coil.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA70 NA digital dash has Volts rather then boost?
Next Topic:PLease delete
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:23:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045490264892578 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.