Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 09:36 Go to next message
Heres a question completely not related to anything..

How the hell do ya get good home cooked chips, like the ones u get down at ur local take away

I cant work it out, oven cooked ones are just crap, ive tried several ways of deep frying ur home cut potatoes, soaken em in water etc..

Any secrets out there?

Its pissing me off,

Phill
  Send a private message to this user    
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we have a deep fryer, just chuck 'em in at about 190 deg. couple of mins and they're crunchie.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 19:53

we have a deep fryer, just chuck 'em in at about 190 deg. couple of mins and they're crunchie.

ya we have one its easy to get those precut oven ones crunchy in the deep frier

But when ever i cut my own chips with fresh potatoes they come out soggy as shit

edit: sometimes i should really reread my posts Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:52]

meeves
Regular

July 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe coat the chips in melted butter then throw them in the deep fryer this is what we did in hospitality back at school to make scallops worked well
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats wat the takeway is for Shocked
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dust with flour ?
Garage_KooK
Regular

November 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not going to give any advice, i burnt my Kitchen down from cooking chips Embarassed
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get a wok put a decent amount of olive oil in it cut up some potato cook them up, drain them and put some "season all" or GOOD chicken salt on them Very Happy either that or make wedges with sweet chilli and sour cream either way they turn out good
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a chef by trade so heres how you do it.
deep fry chips at 160 deg for about 4-5 mins take out of oil
then heat oil to 180 deg and fry for a further 3-4 mins until golden. sprinkle with maldon sea salt and you have best chips ever.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Home cooked chips Fri, 13 May 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the go rb20det.
You have to double fry them to get a good chip. You'll notice at the fish and chip shop that the chips aren't raw pieces of spud, they have been pre-cooked a bit and then they finish cooking them when ordered.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb20det wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 00:34

then heat oil to 180 deg and fry for a further 3-4 mins until golden. sprinkle with maldon sea salt and you have best chips ever.

ahh just what i was looking for, someone who can cook Razz

What about soaking fresh cut chips in water, is there anything to that? .. i read it on teh internets
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaking them in water simply gets some of the wet starch out of the chips ... do what rb20det said.

plus you can nowadays pick up mini deep fryers from your local supermarket - our local W*** had a stack of cheaply made things for $50 - cheap enough to make it not worth fixing them when they break.

make sure you use reasonable quality vegetable oil and change it frequently.

advice: don't make chips while stoned or drunk (unless you're a chef) - boiling oil and stupidity rarely mix Wink
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops Double post

[Updated on: Sat, 14 May 2005 02:41]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All soaking does it is remove a bit of the starch.

If you pick the right spud then the chips will awesome. The waxy ones are the best.

I used to manage a take away shop and when i was going to eat chips i'd dust them in flour then fry them, Leave them to drain for maybe 10 seconds then throw them in a steel bowl and toss them around with the salt.

But for the chips we sell it's we made them ourselves with a mandolin.
Just don't over/under cook them.

p.s. i'm eating them for breakfast right now
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of deep fryers we have one in our BBQ, about three months ago my dad spent 1400 on a monster BBQ and it has a deep fryer, but low and behold i told him it was a bit too much to spend and guess what we haven't used it yet
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think what RB20DET is talking about is blanching the chips where you cook them first and then let them cool and when you cook them the second time they go all crispy, is teh good shizen Nod
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blanching is boiling something quickly then chucking it in iced water.
it cooks things but also leave some crispyness (that is a real term i learnt in blanching college)
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 14 May 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MY SAVIOUR!

Tried the doubledip(tm) today and they came out grouse!

As for cheap deep friers, we got one and ever since then ive been trying to get chips right Razz

Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Home cooked chips Sun, 15 May 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 21:12

dust with flour ?

i do this when oven baking them.
makes them crispy when they come out.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Sun, 15 May 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rotary Deep-Frier.

Round basket on a 30->40 degree angle, it rotates everything in and out of the oil, tumbling it in the process. Not sure what temperature the oil is at, it was a pre-set electronic thermostat.

GOLD ! !
Beserker99
Regular

January 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Tue, 17 May 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb20det wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 22:34

Whoa! I just made chips using this method and DAYMN they was good Shocked

Thanks, you're my new hero Smile
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home cooked chips Tue, 17 May 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am sitll yet to try this
which works better anyway? pre-cut chips or ones you cut up yourself? plus what kinda potato works best?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home cooked chips Tue, 17 May 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love cooking chippies when i am out camping, they go down well with the beer. Very Happy
i cut the potatoes into round slithers and cook them on my camp stove in the fry pan.
mmmm yumm.. i am starting to drool now just thinking about them.... Razz

gearbox, try the deep frier with more heat (oil hotter), my ma cooks her own chips all the time in the deep frier and has it prity hot, she keeps the same oil for a while too. older batch of oil always seems to cook them better than a new oil.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Wed, 18 May 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 08:49

gearbox, try the deep frier with more heat (oil hotter), my ma cooks her own chips all the time in the deep frier and has it prity hot, she keeps the same oil for a while too. older batch of oil always seems to cook them better than a new oil.

Does the temperature depend on the thickness of teh chipzz ?

I found (when working at a restaurant) that oil has a sweet-spot. Too new, and all you can taste in the chips is the oil, and it's a bit bland. Too old and everything burns very easily, as well as leaving everything tasting like charcoal.

I'm not kidding with the rotary frier by the way - BEST homemade chips I've ever had, Vergeing on best chips from ANYWHERE, in my experience.
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dosnt it depend on the type of potato used?..i was of the understnding that some spuds are good for roasting, some good for frying, some good for mashing etc
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my favorite has always been cooking chips with olive oil. It gives the chips an awesome taste Smile
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can tell you that mcdonalds has their fry vats set to 168 degrees for fries. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 00:58]

crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best chips i had was in Honiara...sweet potato fried in coconut oil..hmmmmm
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
potatoes > *
i love anything potato Embarassed
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres my advice, when u deep fry chips make sure u have a shirt on Sad
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time2play wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 14:18

Heres my advice, when u deep fry chips make sure u have a shirt on Sad

BAHAHAHAHAHA Laughing
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats pretty good advice really. Working as a manager at maccas it 's fucking scary when the friers spit shit at you. Worse when they go up in flames though Shocked
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i followed your advice guys, but in a different way...

Never tried this before, but i was making pizza and garlic bread the other night with the gf, and figured we wanted the gb crispy on top. Removed it from the foil, whacked into the overn at 190degrees on the bottom shelf for 5 min, then took it out for 1 min, and out it back in for 5min, but this time on the top shelf

Worked a treat Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Thu, 19 May 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We had just moved into a new house so we were all sweating and were shirtless, We couldn't be bothered making a full meal so i made some potato cakes........

I've still got the scars they look like freckles
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 21 May 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh i dont think nothing can top frying up some lovely healthy bacon in a frying pan, every time you want a continental breakfast you end up with 3rd degree burns
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: Home cooked chips Sat, 21 May 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best burn you will ever get is when you open a steam combi oven thats still going. like a heat gun on paint your skin peels right off. Surprised
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Sun, 22 May 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just use a medium sized pot, put about 3cm of oil in the bottom, heat for a while.

Then put you cut up chips in the oil so that they are submerged(note you can usually only fit 2 potatoes worth of chips in at a time) and let cook for a few minutes. As was stated before do not leave the kitchen, you need to keep an eye on the chips, don't have it turned up so high you are burning the oil or you will burm your kitchen down.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home cooked chips Sun, 22 May 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put on 5kg's since we got our deep fryer, Confused
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Sun, 22 May 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never seen cooking oil burst into flames before.
I think it would have to drip onto the hot plate before anything would happen
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Mon, 23 May 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 00:40

I've never seen cooking oil burst into flames before.
I think it would have to drip onto the hot plate before anything would happen

you obviously never seen me cook a bbq then, cooking oil goes up good and proper, i have had flames off our old bbq nearly touching the veranda which is around 6 feet from the top of the BBQ, one day my mum turned up the street and could see the flames from the bottom, this is an achievemnet considering from the bottom of the street to our driveway it rises 10-20m and then our house is in a hollow oter side of the hill maybe three metres down.
Pooring oil on hot coals always produces good flames.
Achievements include making it look like a cul de sac was covered in light fog but grey. Having my unlce grab the hose to put the bbq out, that was my dad.
Best is when just a little bit of fat from the sausages drops on the coals ,then the flames shoot across the plate and the oil down the bottom of the plate has huge flames coming off it. All you can do is stand back and watch, honest the heat is unbelievable.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Mon, 23 May 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you like your food well done then ! Laughing
Have you ever cooked with wine ?????
that goes up soooooooo well
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Home cooked chips Mon, 23 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous message
like the food well done but not charred, most of this usually happens when cleaning the BBQ off after cooking although when the whole plate goes u the steaks are usually down the end which is not good. According to my brother i manage to get a smoky flavour in the meat which is great and no one else can do Laughing .
when cleaning the BBQ is off so no flames, just heat stoed in the coals, poor oil down drain hole onto coals and boom flames as high as you like, then grab each steak holding above the flames to get the smoke then wave through the flames quickly great flavour.
You could not grill on our bbq cos the plate rusts out so fast with the intense heat, we even replaced it and give one good summer of BBq's i managed to ruin ti yay.
We are still yet to crank over our new mamoth bbq, one of those huge coleman ones it has been sitting there for three months or more now.
PS i have never cooked chips at home but my mum used to when we were little but stopped as it became to dagerour without a deep fryer. We know someone that set fire to their kitchen last year cos they weren't watching their chips. Outside on the bbq it should be a little safer mmm thats gonna be good.
Best chips ever have to be from either kearns charcoal chicken or the fish and chip shop in Urunga 30 mins south of coffs. The owner Dave (may not own it anymore) is a great character and has a chicken salt that is to die for.
Oh hint his oil is very hot, he had a pair of tongs on his wall that illustrated this, the ends of the tongs had bent outwards cos of the heat in his deep fryer.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LCD Vs Plasma Vs rear pro Vs Normal HDTV
Next Topic:ADFA. Pros, Cons
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:11:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085408687591553 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.