Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gun05x
Occasional Poster

December 2003
help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 03:08 Go to next message
hey people, i could use a bit of help i just brought 1973 corolla coupe, and it seems it over heat, the needle almost got to the very top on the dail,,,,

what could it be, a mate said it could be the thermostat, but how do i check this, or what else could it be
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the radiator leaking or getting decent flow? Take the cap off the radiator whilst the car is running and see if there is a lot of flow. Make sure there are no bubbles coming out of the water when u take the cap off too.
gun05x
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer i already did that before i even flushed it, cleaned it out and refilled it.... can something that has a ke20 tell me where abouts there needle sits on there temperture gauge.

and what else could cause over heating
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To check a thermostat take it out put it in a pot on the stove with a thermometer in it and heat the water, watch the thermostat and the thermometer when the thermostat opens check the temp compare it with whats stamped on the thermostat.

Check your radiator cap to see if its holding pressure that can be done by getting the motor hot open the bonnet and squeeze the top radiator hose it should be hard from pressure.

Does it have a Clutch fan if its not working correctly that will cause over heating.

Damaged core on the radiator fins all collapsed.

Worst of them all blown head gasket oil in water or water in oil.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think itd run a non clutch type fan, but if it does, give it a spin when the car is cold...if the fan spins freely, it needs new fluid put in it.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the overheating does it happen around town or on the highway ?

Around town its a good chance its the water pump, fan or the fan belt slipping.
On the highway its possibly a blockage in the radiator.

But yeah like ra_28 said pull the thermostat and check it. Or just throw it and get a new one.

Other things to try is a compression test and make sure the timing is right along with the idle.

With the temp gauge, when the needle gets close to hot does it stay there or what ? If it just tends to read hot the sender itself could even be faulty.
gun05x
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: help rolla over heating Thu, 19 May 2005 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i'll ckeck the thermostat,

i just went for a drive, and within 5 mins of going around the block a couple time it overheated, the needle on the temp gauge went right to the top and steam was coming from the engine, i checked the coolant in the radiator and it was low so i filled i back up waited a few minutes for it to cool down.....

than i started driving around again and temp was ok, but within two minute it overheated again, i check the radiator fluid and it was still fill...

what the freak is wrong with it????

gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Fri, 20 May 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you opened the radiator, did it let out steam? Was the radiator hot to touch? If only the engine is getting hot, then it could be the pump as well.

But definately replace the thermostat first, it's cheap and easy. I took a thermo out once and did the pot-of-boiling-water test. It never opened. Laughing
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Fri, 20 May 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after driving around check to see if both radiator hoses are hot. if not it's probably the thermostat.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Sat, 21 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might wind up costing at little
Firstly get a compression test and if thats ok (quite frankly i'd be surprised if its good) and then i'd be getting a new pump, new thermostat and new radiator cap. And if the top and bottom hoses have a snitty look i'd replace them as well.
If it still cooks get it professionly flushed and not from a garden hose (a garden hose doesn't get all the crap out) after you get a compression test.

Letting the motor cook itself like that is bad, very bad for it. Do a compreesion test and see where you stand after that.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Sat, 21 May 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is not how you problem solve thats wasting money going out and bying things that might not need. Identify the problem and reapir it, you don't learn how to read symptoms by replacing everything that it could be.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: help rolla over heating Sat, 21 May 2005 11:16 Go to previous message
Nar your right ra_28 its not the right way of finding and fixing the problem but it is most likely what will be replaced cause all in all it is a water flow problem which will either be a blockage which a reverse flushing from a garden hose will not fix or a thermostat thats not opening.
After re-reading gun05x's message again, i missed the bit on 5 minute drive. I don't think it'd be the pump more like a blockage but it could also be ignition timing, a vacuum leak (came across this with a little googling) or a loose hose but do a compression test just to make sure you haven't blown the gasket or such
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgteu cam timing
Next Topic:16x8's,AE86,questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:32:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044240951538086 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.