Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MTF-448
Newcomer

May 2002

icon5.gif  KE70 4KC Sun, 02 June 2002 10:13 Go to next message
OK, I have a KE70 Corolla with the stock 4KC. Despite what you may all try and tell me, I am NOT CONVERTING ENGINES No No No . OK, that is cleared up.

Basically I want to get more power. And I really don't want to throw too much money at it, but be it what the budget will allow, it will all happen in time. (Note: I am on junior secretary wages)

I have already changed the exhaust, it is a ?2.25"? freeflow.
Apart from the exhaust and 10 degrees timing, nothing has been done.

I have been reading about a Weber 32/36 DGV.
And also considering an electric motor for the fan so it is not taking power away. But the problem that then arises from an electric fan, is that it will be drawing more power from the alternator.

What suggestions do you all have?
What have others done?

Thanks in advance
MTF-448
(kristyn)
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Sun, 02 June 2002 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cams, Port and polish, balance, use a 4AC alternator for a little more current , not that itll make much difference the fan takes bugger all power to run compared to a clutch type, bigger carbs, flywheel, lighten and strengthen the body, improve the suspension...where do you want me to stop Smile just do a bit at a time and you wont notice all the money rushing out of your pocket hehehe
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Mon, 03 June 2002 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much difference does the timing do? Does it cost much to get done at all?

MTF-448
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Mon, 03 June 2002 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire

Your timing, on our engine, makes one hell of a difference that you wouldn't beleive. Well, in my case it did, cause it was very low (hadn't been checked for a while).

It is basically a thing you can do yourself. If you want, I can show you at the skid pan how to do it. I think there may be some articles in this forum re: doing it yourself. THey'll say you need a strobe light, but a rule of thumb is you tune it until the engine pings, then back it off.

There isn't many articles on the net about it (when i first tried to do it off an internet article, without any prior experience, i ended up trying to do something extremely imposible, and nearly breaking my dizzy.) If you have a workshop manual, you can read up on it in that, else go and buy one, they are worth the $40.00.

So manythings to spend money on, so little time(and money!)

Catcha

Betta/MTF-448
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Tue, 04 June 2002 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I have a workshop manual, and my engine is out of a KE70 (then again I suppose all the 4KC's should be the same). Have no strobe light, and have no idea what an engine sounds like when it pings. I've read though that by the time you can actually hear it it is generally already pinging pretty bad?

Hmm, maybe the Rolla will have more power soon!

MTF-448
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Tue, 04 June 2002 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire,

just take your car around to kmart auto, or somewhere cheap, and ask them how much they will charge to do it. If they are going to charge more then $20 to do it,tell them to bugger off. it is a 5 minute job. I use to work for toyota, and they still do it for me for free. It isn't worth the time to charge you!

It is good to get it checked though! Cause when i first found out that you could tune your car so easily, i tried to do it myself as i already said, and then i got toyota to do it for me, and they said that my timing was sooo bad that it was nearly on 0!
One good thing about having low degree timing was the sound that my exhaust would make! Whenever you would get off it, it would burble down the exhaust!

betta
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Tue, 04 June 2002 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, considering I just got a new carby put on, I presume they would have tuned it at the same time? They said they checked the points gap and the dwell angle (what is that?) and that it was all okay...

MTF-448
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Tue, 04 June 2002 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The dwell angle is the number of degrees of distributor cam rotation through which the breaker points remain fully closed (conducting electricity). Increasing the point gap decreases the dwell, while decreasing the point gap increases the dwell. (http://www.mirafiori.com/~thad/points.html good read!)

what type of carby did you get???
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Tue, 04 June 2002 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got a standard 4KC carby. This one seems to have more bits than the old one did, this one actually seems to have the bits that are in the manual (throttle positioner etc). But none of these extra bits are hooked up...

Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A girl taking interest in the health of her own car!

Even giving sound advice about technical aspects of tuning a car! And running a 2.25" exhaust as well!

Unbelievable!!!! Shocked Well Done.

Not that girls are never capable, but to be honest few are ever capable when it comes to cars. Its alot to do with attitude as well.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say go with a Webber carbie. The standard one is very restrictive. That is the easiest power upgrade right now. THen you can get a different cam shaft with longer duration, and stiffer valve springs to use a higher rev range.

If you have points in the distributor, you want to change them very regulary, or even convert to electronic ignition. Get a electronic distributor off a import 4K or 5K motor with matching coil and igniter.

You can use regular unleaded. With higher octane fuel you can advance the ignition a little more.

I surgest you buy a strobe light thing yourself and learn to use it. For basic engine stuff, a workshop manual is better than unqualified advice on the internet.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... I can't "visibly" mod the car, as it will void my insurance (I'm paying bugger all because it's quite limited as far as mods etc go). So no webber for me Sad Besides, I'm not really wanting to spend any money on the car at the moment as it is meant to be my "shitta" and I don't know if I'm going to be keeping the car for long at this stage.

How much is an electronic dizzy?

Will running unleaded damage my valve seats?

And yes I'd love to do the tuning etc myself Smile It would save me a lot of money Smile

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fark! I had a long post here but for some reason it logged me out while I was typing and the submit threw me to the 'only registered can post' and I lost the damn post.

Anyways, in a nutshell:

Consider:

5speed box
different gear ratio in diff

These old cars are dead easy to work on. I used to work on mine without knowing what I was doing. EG: A carby swap was no sweat.

Just have a read of the manual you say you have and just look in the engine bay and take in what goes where. It should all fall into place.

Have a go at servicing it yourself. You should be fine.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 June 2002 11:46]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already have a 5 speed gearbox Smile I have the Corolla XX Coupe so it came standard with it.

What would different diff ratios do? I think the standard ones are kinda okay... If I drop it too low my acceleration would improve but then I'll be revving it's guts out at 100...

Dammit, should have swapped my carby myself instead of paying someone $70 to do it.

I looked at the engine bay and the book, somethings match, some things don't... I guess it doesn't help that some of the stuff isn't connected, isn't there, or is from a different car...

But hey I changed my plugs and distributor bits myself! I'm getting there Smile

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea the ratio's would lower the top end and move the power down low.

All you really need on the carb is the vacumn hose, 'fuel vapor' hose to the charcoal bin, an accelerator cable, choke (if it's not auto choke), also a fuel + return if it has that.

Don't worry if not everything is hooked up. There were a few things not hooked up when I had the webber on my old rolla and it was fine. Even stock carbs to suit were very different in what hooked up and what didn't.

You're halfway there to tuning it if you can change the distributor bits (points) yourself.

Don't be too afraid, these old cars are pretty forgiving. Smile
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Wed, 05 June 2002 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I guess working on cars sorta scares me a little (never even changed the oil in my car before!)

As far as I can tell the only thing that isn't connected is the throttle positioner, but I guess that isn't really needed. Am needing to readjust my clutch, fix some rust and check my front suspensions for some weird clunking noises sometime after my exam...

MTF-448
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: KE70 4KC Fri, 07 June 2002 12:35 Go to previous message
thanks for everyone replying.

now, i just need to get the money to do all of this....

Re: running a 2.25" exhaust as well!
I do admit, it was a little embarrasing when i first got it. But now i have got use to it, and show it off! It cracks me up when my mum borrows the car, cause she drives at low revs, and that is when it purrs best!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wft does a pintle cap do?
Next Topic:About fog lamps on the MA61?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:57:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006187915802002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.