Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Wed, 15 June 2005 07:13 Go to next message
I am sure this has been covered many times before but I can't find it anywhere. I would like to know if anyone has any dyno or seat of the pants comparasins between these 2? or any general thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Wed, 15 June 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^Also would like to know this. have only heard that 4-1 are better for top end, while 4-2-1 are better for midrange.

Does anyone also know the difference the lengths make? I have 2 sest of 4-2-1 extractors and one has equal length primaries and secondaries, while the second one has much longer secondaries. I haven't had the chance to put these next to each other on a dyno yet, but would would be the difference?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Wed, 15 June 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this ones for you, we had a great discussion on primary Vs secondardy lengths here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=70552&rid=4385&S=573a8e831e0e3a17dd875dd 70a214606&pl_view=&start=0#msg_671876

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Wed, 15 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried both types on my old 2TG years ago. The 4-1 was a bit better in teh top end but the 4-2-1 is definately better in the mid range. Not sure how much, maybe 10% or so.
The 4-2-1 also made the engine sounds quieter in teh lower range.
If I did it again I'd go for the 4-2-1. Thats if I didn't have a 3T GTE.....

Cya,
Simon
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Thu, 16 June 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purely opinion, but I think 4-2-1's sound nicer than 4-1's.

I have a set fitted on my AE86 and the secondaries go a long way under the car. Sounds so much less ricey than the 4-1s on it before..

devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Fri, 17 June 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone tell me suitable length and diameter of the secondaries coming from stock manifold? My engine came with really short secondaries. My exhaust shop is going to make and install whatever I want for $150.

Or should I get them to make an entire new set of extractors... i'm not sure if trust them with that much pipe...

cheers
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Fri, 17 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you could just look at mine you goon.

150 bucks is pretty expensive for that job, we can get the pipes press bent at midas then fire up the mig and burn holes in them, then take your car to an exhaust shop and have them do it.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 05:13]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Fri, 17 June 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's my bodgy home made effort (well.. not that bodgy.. and for 4K not 4AG.. but the principal is the same).
the funny angles on the secondaries are to clear bodywork and steering and starter motor Wink

http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/exhaust-2.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 07:10]

devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Fri, 17 June 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 15:11

or you could just look at mine you goon.

150 bucks is pretty expensive for that job, we can get the pipes press bent at midas then fire up the mig and burn holes in them, then take your car to an exhaust shop and have them do it.

If I pay someone $150 to make and install the pipes, at least i'll have someone to blame when the clutch cable melts Razz

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Mon, 20 June 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Skaney: could you feel a difference between the two of them when you swapped?

oldcorollas: nice system you have there, apart from some spots where it may have a step on the inside its a fairly well shaped exhaust.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Tue, 21 June 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the collectors were a bit of a bitch.. the pipe does not stick into the collector much, so there is buggerall lip in the direction of gas flow...
only took me a day of stufffing around to do it, and most of that was trying to work out how to get around the starter motor with 37mm pipe...

total cost.. under $200 Razz (+welding time)
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4age (4 to 1) Vs (4 to 2 to 1) extractors Tue, 21 June 2005 07:49 Go to previous message
I could actually feel a difference.

Although this might of also been because the pipe that joined the headers to the cat on the previous exhaust(4-1) was quite restricted and not very well put together.

Not long after fitting the 4-2-1's I had the head ported the bigport 4AGE had alot of midrange power compared to other stockish 4AG's with 4-1's.

Since then the motor has had a bit of work, being mainly setup for midrange and nice power curve rather than peak power so its probably better with the 4-2-1s.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE DipStick
Next Topic:water injection.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:51:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065090656280518 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.