Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 01:47 Go to next message
Has anyone been able to get cruise control working in a MA61 Supra with manual transmission? All three of my MA61's were originally auto with cruise, and in each case the cruise stopped working after a manual conversion. I'm guessing it's something to do with the auto wiring which can be bodged up so the cruise computer thinks the auto is still there, but I'm hoping someone has figured it out for me already. I want my cruise back!
  Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM Hirogen as I have witnessed his MA61 originally Auto has a W58 and runs cruise control, though I don't know if they did the conversion.

Cheers.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this post sets my memory off, i cant be sure, but i think there was a thread on this subject some time ago.

all i can remember was mention of a needing switch on the clutch (possibly particular type of pedal box) to deactivate the cruise when u put your foot on it.

your probably gonna groan at this but try searching.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couple of things to note

1) I have a couple of manual cruise control ecu's (Insert token picture of Peewee giving Norbie the bird Razz)

2) To start the car it needs to be in Park/Neutral
3) Cruise wont engage in anything but Drive (at least it wouldn't on my dads Prado, maybe it just won't engage in Park/Neutral on MA61's)
4) According to Hirogen's Dad, there is a plug hanging down above the clutch, pull a bridge out of that and it should work.
Can't verify that, it was on an MA70 he was talking about.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I tried searching - people have asked the question before but no-one has an answer.

As for the clutch thing, obviously I will install a switch but this shouldn't prevent the system from working as it is now.

So is there a circuit on the MA61 which detects when the auto is in drive? If so that would almost certainly be the answer, but I haven't come across anything like this?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well a way of fixing that up is to get a neutral gear switch from jaycar (as used with remote engine start alarms) and wire it up such that it only allows the cruise to work when the gearbox has a gear engaged.

Then you will need to hook up a clutch switch, and wire that to the brake switch input of the cruise computer (so it turns cruise off when you press clutch) - this will need feedback diodes so your brake light doesnt come on when you push the clutch Razz

The rest would be simply bodging up what the cruise computer would have wanted to work....
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to know as well.

CrUZida - Is the Engine ECU different part number ?

Doe any of the wiring diagrams show us the solution ?

If a clutch switch is needed, I may be able to help here Wink , and I will see if there is anything on the wiring around the dash now that I have it half pulled out ....
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it might be easier to adapt something to the car - my manual supra has a little box under the dash, speed sensor (magnet glue'd to output shaft of box, sensor mounted nearby), watches the brake light circuit and use a vacuum-driven dashpot to pull on the throttle body.

next time i'm around you can see up close?

i think feralmr2 put up a link in a rcent thread to an ashdown product that does similar.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 11:01

I would like to know as well.

CrUZida - Is the Engine ECU different part number ?

Doe any of the wiring diagrams show us the solution ?

Your ditching the radio, but keeping the cruise Confused

There is obviously a different ECU for auto and manual, but this is the cruise control ecu.

If someone can post up the part number of the auto cruise ecu (passengers kick panel), I'll compare it.

And no, the wiring diagrams on supratsrm.com are for the later model with ECT auto, so they don't help much.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 12:34

Your ditching the radio, but keeping the cruise Confused

Yep. The idea of cruise control will come in handy for when I aim to make the trip to Dubbo next year.

I'll see if I can post up the numbers that you are after tonight

Cheers

Michael B

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 03:13]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed Bloody double post ....

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 03:15]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 12:34

If someone can post up the part number of the auto cruise ecu (passengers kick panel), I'll compare it.

Here goes ;

Engine ECU : 125000 - 1682
ECT : 89530 - 24290
Speed Control : 88240 - 14061 It has a 13 wire clear plug.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Michael B
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Fri, 24 June 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 19:30

Errrr, Australian MA61's don't have ECT do they??
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sat, 25 June 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 00:12

Mine does.....

Some previous indications show that my engine may be from a Soarer, so this may be part of the confirmation ...
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sat, 25 June 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had retrofitted the cruise to my factory manual MA61 and got it to work. There were 2 things I had to do. Firstly I installed the cruise control stop switch on my clutch pedal which I sourced from the US as there was no factory 5sp MA 61 sold in Australia. The second problem I had and one which is probably your answer is that the brake light switch for cruise equipped cars is different to non cruise equpped cars. The swtich has a second set of contacts that kill the cruise control when you apply the brakes. I ended up just shorting the wires for this switch rather than buying the correct switch. Now your car originally had cruise but perhaps when you did the pedal swap for the manual conversion you carried over the old switch from the manual pedal set? I hit a brick wall tyring to get the cruise to work(everything else plugged in and the control on the dash lit up) untill I made this disccovery. Hope this helps

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 20:01

CrUZsida wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 00:12

Mine does.....

Some previous indications show that my engine may be from a Soarer, so this may be part of the confirmation ...

Could that be the 7M auto? or the 5M auto?
Check the firewall, if it has A43DL, or A43D (not A43DE) then it wasn't ECT from factory.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKS_TRD wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 23:46

I had retrofitted the cruise to my factory manual MA61 and got it to work. There were 2 things I had to do. Firstly I installed the cruise control stop switch on my clutch pedal which I sourced from the US as there was no factory 5sp MA 61 sold in Australia. The second problem I had and one which is probably your answer is that the brake light switch for cruise equipped cars is different to non cruise equpped cars. The swtich has a second set of contacts that kill the cruise control when you apply the brakes. I ended up just shorting the wires for this switch rather than buying the correct switch. Now your car originally had cruise but perhaps when you did the pedal swap for the manual conversion you carried over the old switch from the manual pedal set? I hit a brick wall tyring to get the cruise to work(everything else plugged in and the control on the dash lit up) untill I made this disccovery. Hope this helps

Cheers for that Danny. I'll see what I can find and sort out. I didn't change the brake switch when I put in the manual pedal. b(BTW, I still have the P/S reservoir if you still want it)

Beside the switches, did you have to run the wiring, or was it already there ?

CrUZida - My build plate is for an A43DL trans, but the ECT is clearly marked as being 7M-GTEU !!

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 05:48]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 13:43

CrUZida - My build plate is for an A43DL trans, but the ECT is clearly marked as being 7M-GTEU !!

So that has nothing to do with factory fitment.
Glad I got that sorted Razz
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKS_TRD wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 00:16

...as there was no factory 5sp MA 61 sold in Australia.

Really??! IS rhis true? I always assumed they were sold as either.
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 18:29

No the aussie MA61's definately came with 5 speeds
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim of sideshow performance wiring got the cruise working in my manual MX83.Sounds like you guys are onto it but he may be able to help if you get stuck.
Helps keep to the speed limit!cheers.pete.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Sun, 26 June 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 19:51

Stefan wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 18:29

No the aussie MA61's definately came with 5 speeds

No factory 5spd's .....with cruise control, were sold in oz.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Mon, 27 June 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Manual Cruise ECU is 88240 - 14051

So there is a part number difference.
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Mon, 27 June 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 17:59

OK I was typing too fast, what I meant to say was no Australian delivery MA61 5 speed had cruise from the factory.
Michael B, yep all the wiring was already in the car so it was just plug and play. Before selling the car I removed it all and sold it to David C, I believe you know him. And I was meaning to contact you about the PS reservoir, I have decided to pull the finger out and finish my car off so that means I need to pick that up from you as it is one of the (many) things on my list.

Dan
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Mon, 27 June 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 16:44

Manual Cruise ECU is 88240 - 14051

So there is a part number difference.

Hmmmmm, interesting, especially givern what Dan is saying below.

Dan, Yep, I'll have another chat with Dave re the Cruise gear. I actually have two P/S reservoirs now, so you can pick the best one (or even grab both !!!).

[off topic]I hear big things are in the wings for the engine ? [\back on topic]

As a general note, I am trying to source some switches from the States.

Cheers

Michael B
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 05:10

The clutch switches?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 10:18

bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 05:10

The clutch switches?

Clutch & Brake switches as well as the actual Speed control as well.

I am also getting a different TRSM type manual from 82Mk11 as this may have some additional info for the Cruise Control.

I'll also be speaking to Dave C about the stuff he got from Dan (HKS TRD)

Cheers

Michael B
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a look at the factory brake switch. It should be identical between auto and manual cars.

I'll try to get a part number and photo from the clutch switch tonight as I have one lying around.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 10:40

Have a look at the factory brake switch. It should be identical between auto and manual cars.

I'll try to get a part number and photo from the clutch switch tonight as I have one lying around.

From what Dan was saying, the cruise barke switch had an additional set of contacts although he got around this issue easily.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 09:32

CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 10:40

From what Dan was saying, the cruise barke switch had an additional set of contacts although he got around this issue easily.

I think he was getting confused.

The auto HAS to have this too.

One set of contacts for turning on the brake lights (normally open with brake pedal in full returned position
And another set of contacts for cancelling the cruise control (normally closed with brake pedal in full returned position)

As you can see, both auto's and manuals (with cruise) will have this switch.

There is a chance that the AUS factory manuals will not have this switch, but all the auto's will.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will have a good ferret this weekend.

Do you know what the wire colours are on your Speed Control are to compare them with mine ?

Cheers

Michael B
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Tue, 28 June 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will check on the weekend.

I have 2 looms/control units.

One from early model Singapore Spec MA61
One from late model JDM Spec MA61
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Wed, 29 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update time.

Based on some climbing into the car and cross referencing a manual from 82MKII (very bloody helpful Nod Nod Nod ), I can confirm that the wiring for the clutch cruise canccel switch is there. It is s 3 pin plu that has a Black/Yellow and a Black/White wires, and on the auto cars, this is shorted out with a Black/White wire.

I can't see where the clutch switch will fit on the pedal assy I have (comes with an overcentre assistance spring mechanism), but I am now confident that with this wiring diagram and Dave C's parts to look at, and getting the bits from the states, I can get it going.

Who wants the relevant pages of the manual ?

Cheers

Michael B
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 cruise with manual Wed, 27 July 2005 01:03 Go to previous message
Back to the top we go.

I got a little parcel last night that contained the speed control, clutch switch and stop switch from a Yank MA61 manual with cruise.

The Speed Control has part no. 88240-14040 which is different to what both my Auto and CrUZ's manual numbers were !!!! The car it came out of was a 1985 model (will check) and this may have something to do with it ?

Tracing the Yank wiring diagram, theer are no ECU inputs. The only components in the system are ;

• Cruise Control Actuator
  • Brake & clutch switch
  • Cruise Control Switch
  • Ignition switch input
  • Speed sensor (inside cluster)
  • Brake fluid level switch
  • H/Brake switch
  • Engine coolant temp
  • Stop lamp power

Will get the trusty test lamp out soon and see if the yank diagram matches the expected outputs/colours for the aussie cars.

Cheers

Michael B
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:slippin clutch on the sx
Next Topic:VVT timing & quads - blacktop vs silvertop
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:41:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068490505218506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.