Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

mazda 323 astina sp20 Fri, 06 December 2002 00:14 Go to next message
Has anybody been given a decent run by an SP20?
They seem to be pretty slow for 98kW??
  Send a private message to this user    
Redrolla
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Fri, 06 December 2002 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't an SP20 and the SR 2 have a an SR20 in it? I heard that they do...

I've never had the chance to look at one...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Fri, 06 December 2002 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, they just have the 2l engine from whatever is in Mazda 626's.
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Sat, 07 December 2002 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theyre 2L twin cams.
a friend tried to give one a run in his newly bought r33 gts non turbo. got caned Very Happy Very Happy needless to say we still dont let him forget it Razz
BoB_JonEz
Regular

August 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Sun, 08 December 2002 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you shouldn't be so mean, he suffers everytime he drives his car

I was saying to a mate how sad it is to import an auto GTS-T...and he said its only sadder if its a non turbo.

I'm sure they're a nice car, but insurance is going to be a bitch for a 2 door import anyway, so surely u'd get something with some bollocks.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 09 December 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So auto gts non-turbo's are that slow?

I've kept up w/ a done-up sp20 (exhaust + watever else + 1 passenger), with just me in an ae102 seca rv (exhaust+filter)...was slooowly pulling on him at 100++, but veeery slowly..plus head-to-head with a stock sp20 (no passengers), with 1 passenger in the ae102. Maybe they were auto's =P

gotta say sp20's look nice though, esp the sp20 sports sedans!
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Tue, 10 December 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had one pull up next to me for a traffic drag, Bright Yellow, lowered, and exhaust, "P's". Little did he Know I was in an S3 and he probably didn't know what Audi 'S' class is. So I had to play Very Happy Gave him a small lead, then flooring it, waving as I went by. The Next set of lights, the poor guy pulls up again, with a weird look of 'what tha!' and ask's what I had done to an A3 to make it go so hard... Well? Nothing, mate!

Quote:

I've kept up w/ a done-up sp20 (exhaust + watever else + 1 passenger), with just me in an ae102 seca rv (exhaust+filter)...was slooowly pulling on him at 100++, but veeery slowly..plus head-to-head with a stock sp20 (no passengers), with 1 passenger in the ae102. Maybe they were auto's =P

My RV use to go toe-toe (same mod's) with the last model V6's till about 180, then the Mazda's would start pulling away, I think I was a little quicker to 100, . I think that was the driver, not the car, because, sorry to say, this Drag ended in a bad way. I had slowed down and lost sight of him on the M4, only to catch up and see that he had lost control and slam into a pole, on a straight bit of road and without a blowouts either. I was quite shocked when I went by and saw the guys car split in two!! Lucky for him it was the car, not his life, he looked very shakened, and was sitting by the half that ended up on the side. Just goes to show, that I was really stupid in my youth, and things can go wrong, so all be careful.... All this was back before the street racing Laws were introduced too.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Fri, 13 December 2002 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe, usually easier racing P platers too, although some do know what they're doing.

You should've told the dude you just had a big air filter that made your "A3" go Razz

and aiyaa to that mazda driver..180 is way too fast on streets anyway.
encounta
Regular

July 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Sat, 04 January 2003 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for those who have drivin a SP20, must admit, the car has good handling. i luv ripping it round corners and stuff.
if i done stuff in that car, in mine. my tyres would've shredded.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 06 January 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My boss own a manual sp20 lowered with 18" wheels and exhaust.
It is a company car and every arvo when we leave work we race a bit. I'm in a 1ggte auto celica. He just gets a car length off the lights but get absolutely creamed once i get going.
It is quick for what it is but definately not anything u would call performance.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 06 January 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate a work just bought a brand spankin SP20 and acording to him it is an SR20DE motor in it.

Pretty much straight out of the old SSS pulsar. I had a look under the hood breifly but its all covered in plastic and rebaged mazda.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 06 January 2003 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine is nothing like an SR20, apart from the fact that it is 2l. It comes from the 626, it is fairly long in the stroke as well.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Thu, 09 January 2003 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats right JCMF!! Also 92kw?? The SSS SR20 from memory punched out around 100-105 kw! Correct me if I am wrong!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Thu, 09 January 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats right on the head, the last SSS Pulsar came with 105kW.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Thu, 09 January 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with that in mind,
how have people faired against sr20's on the street?
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Thu, 09 January 2003 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well... ive pulled up next to a sp20 and a sss.. (i used to own a n14 sss)
The sp20's go no where...
off the line.. the gze left him eating tyre smoke Smile
and he couldnt catch.. needless to say.. he was a little pissed that an old 80's mr2 just chopped him..
The sr20 put up more of a fight.. but still.. nothing compared to the GZE.
The funniest lately for me was a old maserati Bi-turbo... down epping road.. ran this guy.. Chopped him by a car length.. pulls up next me at the lights.. 2 habibs.. He says .. "Whats in dat Bro?"..
my reply..
"nothing mate, just a standard 1600cc" bahahhaha.. Shouldve seen his face.. like he was going straight down to buy a couple of t88's.. Smile
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Fri, 10 January 2003 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe nice work, u got a good 2 for 1 deal there
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Fri, 10 January 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, SR20 is a Nissan motor.

Secondly, SP20 and SR2 are Mazda/Ford vehicles. Why would they have nissan motors? It's like having a Falcon with a Holden V6 in it.

Finally, I wouldn't even bother comparing the SR20 to the Mazda 2.0L (I can't remember what the engine code is). SR20 has legendary status.
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Sat, 11 January 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh that's right, because Holden never used a nissan engine, and the rb30et is a holden thing.
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Sat, 11 January 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Relax pal, I never said VL engine was a Holden. Just said they wouldn't use a ford engine.

Jap engines were light years ahead of local power plants at the time so it can be justified.

Anyway, fact is the SP20/SR2 does NOT have the SSS motor (SR20DE) in it.

Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Sun, 12 January 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the old Nissan pulsar used a holden engine... explain that.

I think it was the 88 model pulsar Q. Had the Holden "Family 2" 1.8L EFI engine in it out of the Camira.

and I'd hardly say the SR20 has legendary status... maybe among the ricers! My old ST162 celica used to eat N14 Pulsars easily.
Redrolla
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 13 January 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you think is driving the 200SX's?? Ok, it is turbocharged, but the base motor is an SR20DE(T)

They may not be ball breakers when in NA form, but they are quite powerful for what they are, and they can be modified extensively.

They're in more cars than you might think...

oh yeah, and not every N14 has an SR20DE in it. Only the SSS.

Are you sure you weren't racing a 1.6?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2003 01:12]

leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 13 January 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true true

but some of the N14 pulsars other than the SSS had a 2.0L engine..most of the TI's had em and some of the Q's did too.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 13 January 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am aware of this... yes it was a 2L. I think it was a Ti model which is basically a SSS with nicer interior and no side skirts etc.

The N14 SSS pulsar only put out 105 kW @ 6400 rpm.

Excuse me if I don't appear to be in awe.

Very similar to the Celica but slightly higher in the rev range. And I think the celica was about 100kg lighter.

Oh... by the way.... I make no appologies for defending Toyotas. Call me biased, but this is a toyota forum.
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Mon, 13 January 2003 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a 10-15 year old motor, those figures look quite good when alot 2.0L engines these days can't crack the 100kw mark.

Quote:

well the old Nissan pulsar used a holden engine... explain that.

I think it was the 88 model pulsar Q. Had the Holden "Family 2" 1.8L EFI engine in it out of the Camira.

Really? ok. I thought Camiras used Isuzu engines. but anyway

Fact still remains SP20/SR2 do not have NIssan SR20DE's
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mazda 323 astina sp20 Tue, 04 February 2003 23:24 Go to previous message
As far as i knew, the 2L TI pulsars had a shorter rev range of about 6300rpm than the SSS spec SR20 of 7500rpm, Different internals?? Confused

But i have driven both an SR20 SSS and a the SP20. they are both totally different cars, but a shit load of fun around town

[Updated on: Thu, 06 February 2003 04:12]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how to scare people with your air conditioner (no really)
Next Topic:MA70 supra vs lumpy HQ monaro
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:32:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059370994567871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.