Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
killa_cam
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 00:59 Go to next message
How much would you expect to pay for a paint job.

Nothing flash.

my car is white but i want it 2pak black.

Excluding dent repair and $hit, how much do you think it's worth.
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what exactly you want done, and how good you want the job. it will cost more if you want interior of doors, boot, under the hood painted as well, 'cause that's quite fiddly, and time is money
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats an interesting point..

what if you stripped the car out.. and removed the door panels.. carpet.. all that crap and got it prepped for them. less fuss for them right?

id be keen to know too..
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you strip it yourself youd get about $2-500 off (depending on how much you strip). Worth it if you have a car trailer. If your hiring one you wont save much money.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a spray job done for 2300$ they did everything, did all the work, removed all panels, cut rust out,sanded all back, was just a plain white but that was on my old celica. ST162 so yeh
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like they say it depends on what you want. i got a quote for one. i stripped the car and they just painted it (over the top of any paint there). they said it would be $600, thats in acrilic too which you don't want
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
black resprays are costly

prep work is everything - ive seen black paint with average bodywork and it looked shit

bodywork has to be perfect and that is expensive

id say 4000 inside and out for a good black - bout 5000 for a top notch show quality black if theres no rust etc

time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in & out incl. doors, boot, engine bay up to $5000 (at a proffesional work shop)

back yard up to $2000

u get wat u pay for.

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm getting quotes on my car at the moment.

To do a full respray - this is cut-back and given a high fill then sprayed (original Toyota colour #320 - Samurai Red) is $6160.

This includes metal welding four spots of rust (size of your thumb nail), fixing half a dozen small dings, respraying the cold air-intake and radiator back to gloss black, rear light panel to satin black. This also includes them doing all the work. I drop off the car and pick it up 3/4 weeks later and she's ready for top notch car shows.

I got another quote for the same work for $9000 - but they'd take $8000 cash. That sounded suspect to me, so I'm still checking out other places to get an idea of costs.

As mentioned - you get what you pay for - and for my car I'm steering clear of backyard jobs. Then again, I'm also suspicous of paintshops who are willing to take cash only and seem to charge an unrealistically high price.

seeyuzz
river
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 17:22

Hi,

I'm getting quotes on my car at the moment.

I got another quote for the same work for $9000 - but they'd take $8000 cash. That sounded suspect to me, so I'm still checking out other places to get an idea of costs.

seeyuzz
river

Well, if they do it for cash then they basically just don't charge you GST, they won't be claiming it as income so they won't be paying the government GST.

They are getting pretty much the same amount.

10% of $9g is 900.
$8g is a little bit more off.
johnO2
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paying ash is ok just make sure you get legitimate receipt.
I know you probaly don't want to but you could do it your self. You need time and pashience. Painting a car well is all about the prep if you prep properly the painting is easy. Give your self up to a mounth to do it all properly though.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river: is that a full spray job, inside and out (engine bay, door inners, boot etc) or just the visible stuff?

I'm looking for a respray at the moment as well.. group buy? Razz
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have spent $2000 just on paint for my car, and thats with me and my dad doing everything ourselves. If u want to paint with 2 pac and do a proper job it wont be cheap.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Fri, 01 July 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what was the paint, gold?
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Sat, 02 July 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been quoted 10K to do mine, from numerous shops. This is for a full respray back to bare metal.

pushrod_POWA
Regular

January 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Sat, 02 July 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey,
im doing my own backyard job in acrylic and so far its cost me about $350. thats about $200 on paint and about $80 on thinners and the rest on wet and dry. its all in the prep
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Sat, 02 July 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 07:27

what was the paint, gold?

Go and quote about 5 litres of custom made 2 pac (SPIES HECKER) clear, thinners hardener etc
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Sat, 02 July 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
draven wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 00:50

river: is that a full spray job, inside and out (engine bay, door inners, boot etc) or just the visible stuff?

I'm looking for a respray at the moment as well.. group buy? Razz

No, it's just the visible stuff. The inside of the doors, engine bay etc are clean and in good condition. If I wasn't getting the dings done or the rust fixed (with metal weld finish) or the radiator/fan shroud and air-box done, then I'd guess it'd be a bit cheaper.

I am not willing to fork over tens of thousands (which is waht full concourse showcase paint jobs would cost), but I am also loathe to do it cheaply and find in a few years the paint is not looking so hot.

Anyone who's seen myu car reckon the paint looks pretty good still and that was from when it was resprayed back in 1989 - so it's 16yo paint job on it at the moment. I gotta admit it's held up pretty well and, when including inflation, equates to about $6000 spray job.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend, how long do you want the paint to last and how good a finish/job do you want. In my case, being a rare car and having owned it for over 30years, and wishing to keep it looking shmick, I'm looking for a reputable company which has done good work, is recommended by various people and seem honest. I have found such a paint shop, but I'm still getting other quotes just to reassure myself and get a better confirmation of the going rate for this type of job.

seeyuzz
river
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Sat, 02 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's alot cheaper if you do it yourself, 10k sounds right.
That's how much they charged at smashmasters where I worked.

If you studie into this and do it yourself woul save allot of $$$$$

It's not that hard. Practice makes perfect Wink
2DRFT
Regular

April 2005

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Sat, 02 July 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recently got my car resprayed, i did all the prep work, and stripping, which included door trims, seals, seats, dash, carpet, sound deadner, engine bay, boot, the works, it went in a rolling shell, and i sanded the fucker forever, i'll never sand a car again in my life, total cost $1400 which included, $200 hire of spray booth, $500 labour, $700 in a 2pak Metallic deep purple mica + clear + primer.

awesome job, but i would of paid the extra $600 and got him to sanded her back and remove dints, cos i was a n00b and yeah 40hrs + of sanding kinda strains the arm abit, but thank god i'm a 10 a day wanker ;);)Wink jokes.

Good luck, shop around and see if one of them will take your job on the side, if your not after fancy, just clean and ok looking, do the prep yourself, but if your after show condition, pay the fucking $$$.

with ever last love

Casey Razz
killa_cam
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Mon, 04 July 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the stripping can be done, the only thing im not willing to do is the sanding.. Screw that! but yeh all the stripping an be done, but i Do want a proper job, engine bay, boot and under all carpets. likei said the car is white, (it's a 95 Camry wide body)
The body Kit is in primer so just some light sanding should get that job done, i got no rust just some dents from a f*uckwit that threw rocks at my car. But apart from that it's ready to go.
Does any one in sydney know any shops that you can take panels to get painted, coz like take the front fender, prepare it take it in get it painted put it back on so-on and so forth.??
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Mon, 04 July 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I don't of anyone who'd take the job panel-by-panel, and if they did, they probably wouldn't guarantee the job. It's easier for them to do the whole car in one hit and make sure it has a consistent colour. Also, saves them from having to set-up for a small panel, when it is more cost effective to do the lot.

Check the blue-box on the side of your toymods screen and click on "sponsors". There you'll see "Windsor Automotive" who have a good reputation and do nice work (from those I have spoken to who have used their services) - plus you get a discount if you're a registered Toymods member.

seeyuzz
river
killa_cam
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Thu, 06 October 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found a guy that does cheap paint jobs, and good ones at that.

My car has it's kit on it, waiting for the front to go on so i can be painted aswell.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6495/camrykit4qp.th.jpg

What do you's think?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Thu, 06 October 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
APPERNTLY (n.b APPERNTLY) you can try asking the local tafe kids doing spray course's to give your car ago. it mighten be sound professional but will be cheaper and they are learning the trade..might be something to look into?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Thu, 06 October 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess that depends on how much you care about your car. For River, who has a genuine classic, he probably wants a very professional paint job. For me, who cares more about his car than he does for his girlfriend, I also want a professional job (preferably with warantee)
killa_cam
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Thu, 06 October 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant get guarantee on pearls nor candy paint jobs.
old ae92
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Thu, 06 October 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let us know how it goes
killa_cam
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth? Thu, 06 October 2005 06:34 Go to previous message
will do lads, it'll be done before the Toymods Mega cruise for sure!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:nordschleife... no drift in this vid... move along tufu kiddys
Next Topic:From Argentina
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:05:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070168972015381 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.