Toymods » Tech & Conversions » '82 diesel hilux to petrol conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stiffman
Newcomer

July 2005
'82 diesel hilux to petrol conversion Thu, 07 July 2005 10:11 Go to next message
I've got an '82 Toyota hilux duelcab. It has a 2.2 diesel engine (lm40 i think is the engine model), and for a while have been Looking at the engine conversions being done to similar cars.

The 5MGE / 7MGE and the 1G-GZE all seem to be popular conversions

The main issue i have come across is that all the conversions i have seen have been done with the petrol versions of the truck.

I'm gonna guess its because things like the gearbox and diff can't be re-used as they have been geared towards the diesel engine? is there any other reasons? or things that might make it more difficult?

Just curious, as if its not going to be an outrageously big (and expensive) project, the truck could be a good project car for myself, and an engine conversion would be the first thing i would want to do to it.
  Send a private message to this user    
bugger
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: '82 diesel hilux to petrol conversion Thu, 07 July 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greetings
Re hilux the only difference between the diesel and petrol is the diff ratio. petrol is 3.9 and diesel is 4.1.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: '82 diesel hilux to petrol conversion Thu, 07 July 2005 13:47 Go to previous message
bugger wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 20:46

Greetings
Re hilux the only difference between the diesel and petrol is the diff ratio. petrol is 3.9 and diesel is 4.1.

Umm more like 8/39 gearing 4.875:1 and is very low geared. Also coupled to a non-overdriven 4 Speed the ratio's are terrible for a large engine exchange unless you are into rock-hopping and the like.

The engine code is simply 'L' the first of a series of OHC diesel engines from Toyota(actually Hino make them). Later came 2L(2.4),3L(2.Cool and 5L(3.0).

The vehicle model is LN46 or something similar
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age Died - Fuel Blockage? HELP!
Next Topic:more hilux gearbox question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:50:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055108070373535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.