Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 09:48 Go to next message
does anyone know how the competition goes about?
the comentators refer many times about sprinters (the cyclers)...and some stage doesn't suit sprinters and stuff..

and i also dont get why they cycle in a line when there's 2 lanes...or it just looks nice from the chopper's view?

i would like to learn more...its interesting to watch...but if i dont know how the strategy works...then i cant fully enjoy it..
  Send a private message to this user    
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinters are riders that have a burst of energy for short periods of time.
eg, they are good and quick over a short distance, like the finish but not so good on up hills etc

they ride in packs for wind resistance (beleive it or not) they use it for drafting. i have a mate that cycles at competition level and he said drafting helps out heaps.

pretty intense sport if you get into it. lance armstrong is a demon
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
up to 200km stages in a day man thats hard, and what do they do on rest days they cycle again, even the slower guys aka the sprinters which put on bursts in shorter stages or at say the last 5km of a stage average over 42kmph for the day. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps right now i have a Giant OCR2 sitting over my right shoulder Very Happy shame its not mine its my bros. Might be getting a decent road bike depending on my tax return Wink
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok..so sprinters sprint during the last few km..but i hear from the comentators about "setting up"...

wat i'm after is the roles in a team...they have sprinters and other important roles...so what are the other roles and who do they do? how and what do they set up for the sprinters?

i often see some cyclist just sprint for few kms..and then get caught up by the main pack...there must be a reason why they did this..

its interesting....before this i just thought everyone is cycling just to be in the first place.. but i guess it its more complicated

any cycling forum i can refer my questions to?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinters can play many roles in a team after all it is a team event, the whole idea of breaking from the pack is for them to then get lead riders of other teams to try and chase them down and then waste their energy should they get too far away.
Sprinter's in the down hill and many stages are used to ferry drinks to the top level drivers, ie they drop back to the cars grab a drink for the lead guy, then sprint and catch back up to him and give him his drink to stop him from having to break his rythm and also saves him from slowing down.
They are the pack horses behind the victories of many top level riders that often have more input then the lead rider who just pedals alaong at a high average speed.
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole tour is a tactical game between teams. Sprinters aren't there to win every stage... you will only see them come out on stages where its flat... minimal hill climbs and where it's gonna be pretty even right until the finish line.

Teams will always set up their sprinter to win the stage in these cases... the team will give them a wind break... or set the pace for the entire pelaton to suit the sprinter. There are dozens of tactics that teams use...

So for example... last nights stage... The luquidgas team had two people at the front comming to the finish... one team memeber sat in front of the sprinter of the team and then peeled off for the sprinter to sprint to the finish and get 4th place (there are still points for fourth) but he wasn't a good enough sprinter and got beaten. Robbie McEwens team had helped him get over the summit of the mountain and he had the sprint at the end because everyone else there wasn't as good as him as a sprinter.

In the grand scheme of things the winner of a stage is mostly irrelavent... it's the time bonus and points that deciede the winners of the jerseys

If you watched the stage from two nights ago you would of seen an intersting thing in the Discovery Channel Team. The main purpose of that entire team (the way its been setup) is so that they assist Lance Armstrong through out the entire race so that he can win the Tour. However that night they didn't help Lance and he had to do the entire thing himself.

It's also important to note that in the entire race.. only a handfull of riders are actual contenders to WIN the tour or a jersey. The rest of the team is there to support that rider or riders.

As for why riders do a break away there is a number of reasons. Last night the team radobank rider broke away 100km from the finish! that's quite normal... but for him to go on and win the entire race is ussualy unheard of in today's game. Many years ago thats the way tours were won. You also would of noticed last night that Jens Voight broke away with his old team mate. Now Jens Voight is one of those riders who can actually win the tour... at the beginning of the stage he was 2 minutes behind Lance. So the reason he broke away was to get the time bonus's and to finish the stage a few minutes ahead of lance (which he did, he now holds the yellow jersey). By working together with his old team mate... he gets to ride in front for a while... then go back and rest behind the other guy for a wind break... Wind resistance plays a MASSIVE role in the sport. Going back to the radobank rider... sometimes riders will just go for a break away... it's not unheard off... and the pelaton will let them go... because they aren't big name riders and they don't pose a threat to them in the overall race so most of the time they think they can reel them in before the end of the race. Last night they didn't... the radobank rider did an AMAZING race... it's one of the best rides i've seen!

The whole race is a tactical game... i find it amazing to watch... my dad used to ride professionally so it's rubbed off on me to an extent

i hope all this info helps
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dayum its bloody confusing..
i dont know any team names except Discover Channel Laughing (heard from commentator yesterday and found out now its a team)

its so difficult to remember names and faces...all of them wear almost the same stuff...plus colours couldnt differentiate..

so Lance Armstrong is the guy who finished 2nd yesterday rite? who rode with his ex-team mate (now rival) who finished 3rd?

the guy who finished first (Micheal something) was freaking amazing...160++ km lead out of 170++km total length..

so some riders try to break away from the main pack to hope that those main pack riders will try to catch up with him and waste their energy? while sprinters just stay behind the pack and wait till opportunity comes?

how many jerseys are there?
yellow
polka dots

ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope... lance finished in the pelaton yesterday... the guy who finished third is jens voight... the new leader...

Your right about some riders trying to break away to wear down the main leaders... two nights ago kinokourov (another rider who could win the tour) kept trying to break away from the pack during an uphill climb... this is when lance had to work on his own to catch him so he wouldn't get a break away and take the lead away from him... see if kinokourov had of gotten away... then lance would of lost the jersey that day... lance did well to stop him from breaking. Andreas Kloden however was allowed to break away (he chose his time right too) because he isn't a thread to lance's lead

there is the yellow jersey for the overall leader... polkadot jersey for king of the mountains and green jersey for best sprinter

there is also a white jersey for overall youngest leader (riders under 25's yellow jersey). And a red jersey which goes to most combative rider.. that's defined by judges judging the number of attacks a rider does... etc etc

shiri

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 12:01]

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pelaton?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bunch
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 11 July 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh..
cheers.

i wish u are next to me to explain everything while watching it..
hehe
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why there isnt any race last night?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rest day they do have one but as already stated they generally still ride for around 4.5 hours during their break.
I'm guessing they might be heading in to the hills stages (not big on tour de france) and they have the rest day befor this. Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.letour.fr/
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just wish i had the budget to afford just one fo the bikes Smile
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

why there isnt any race last night?

Rest day Smile

Satoshi, there is a great movie that has been recently released that is a documnetary about the T-Mobile team and the 2003 tour. It gives a great insight into the suffering of the riders and the history of the tour. It is not aimed at a cycling audience so a lot of stuff about why things are done in the race and the roles of the riders is explained. It was on SBS about a week ago so it should be easy to track down a copy.

Cheers.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i taped it for my brother all bar the last 10-15 mins of it man he's pissed. Note his bike is worth a mere 1400bucks hehe carbon fibre forks, lift it with my pinky etc. (and that still don't come near to these guys bikes maxes out at like 80kph)
Only prob is cos you have to inflate the tyres to 100psi he has had many punctures on sydneys and wogga's less than perfect roads woot, especially when replacement tubes cost a fortune.
Don't bother about repair kits they don't last.
My Cousin who was in the AIS for rowing has an older Giant bike but with better gearing and for fun, him and his mates and coach got a radar camera organised and road down a nice steep hill.
Max speed clocked was like 119.7kmph, they called it a day when someone fell off at like 80 slowing down.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do i get a copy from sbs?

tonight there is a race... no?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 15:37

I'm guessing they might be heading in to the hills stages (not big on tour de france) and they have the rest day befor this. Very Happy

the alps aren't big? Laughing

there is a stage tonight... a tough one
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloody awesome race..
i cant wait for tomorrow..

micheal rasmussen is good...lance armstrong is really a demon!

one thing i still don't get it... eg: discovery channel sets up armstrong by riding a faster pace than the pelatons...this will exhaust other riders...but don't armstrong get exhausted as well?

and is it a pyschological thing...that if u ride with your mates...u'll endure longer than riding by yourself?

i just dont see the whole point of setting armstrong up when he still has to push himself to follow the leader of the pelaton..
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tour de France Tue, 12 July 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance Armstrong tore the ass out of the race tonight. Big stud, even if he has no actual testicles.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tour de France Wed, 13 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 03:10

Lance Armstrong tore the ass out of the race tonight. Big stud, even if he has no actual testicles.

his team did all the work, but thats what they are there for
he looked to be hurting in the last few km, he is an awesome rider but i think some other might bring there A game this year

go cadel Wink
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tour de France Wed, 13 July 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it just me...

or everytime the TOUR DE LANCE ohh ohh i mean France is on...
u get the urge to buy a road bike and attempt to ride quater of wat they can... and den half way down the stairs u get the shits and walk back up and watch more tv....

lol.... last 3 years i've been saying im gona fix my bike and ride it... and once again same old story but still havn't made it down the stairs...

Supporting Jan Ulrich... hopeing he can get back to some form, like the form when he won it... ( ohh yeah lance wasn't there then) but still would be intersting if it wasn't like ground hog day everyday...Smile

cheers
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tour de France Wed, 13 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe yeah that and whenever the olympics comes on i wanna take up both shooting and cycling.
I used to ride our very good exercise bike everyday and did liek 23km a day, then it got put in a space where its hard to access so i got lazy, once we clean up again i want it usable and the weights bench cos i wanna lose some weight.
Then once i get my legs bag in shape i'll get a bike hehe. They aren't actually that bad from walkign round the city, but my calves have kept on growing and quads shrunk Sad .
Back to the bike i say. Very Happy Beer gut but huge legs woot.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Sun, 17 July 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i missed out tonight's race..

how was it?
what happened?

i notice they only show the last 40km race...
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Tour de France Mon, 18 July 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well its a 6 hour race... they aren't going to show the entire thing...

it was a good stage lsat night... hincapie (team discovery) won the stage... its the first time since lance has won the tour that his teammate has won a stage...that's 7 years!

he broke away after 20km with a group... trying to slow them down so lance could catch them, but they ended up getting a 20min advantage and his team told him to go for it and win the race

so he did

lance again left behind basso and ullrich in the final km's of the race
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Mon, 18 July 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh... i manage to read up on what happened in the website..

its interesting... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wish i could stand on the podium with the 2 girls ..
Razz
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tour de France Tue, 19 July 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we had to wait so long for his chance to ride the tour
and now cadel evans is going off!
awesome rider since is jr mtb days
www.cadel.com.au
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tour de France Wed, 20 July 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and now cadel evans is going off!

Awesome to see.

Quote:

awesome rider since is jr mtb days

I remember those days well, I have some old home video of a race at Thredbo when we were all under 19's. We were both on the Aussie MTB team that went to Switzerland back in 1997 as under 23's which seems so long ago now. He is a machine and will continue to improve Wink

Aaargh the good old days..........
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tour de France Sat, 23 July 2005 16:08 Go to previous message
i pity rasmussen in the stage 20th... he crashed twice and changed bike 4 times... what is worst that that!

cant wait for tomorrow's stage to see lance armstrong's last race... and cheers on him for winning his first and last time trial for 2005

btw..is sheryl crow his wife or his gf?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3fast3furios (actuall movie SPOILER, storyline scripts)
Next Topic:"Takumi Tax" Who was the first to say it?!?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:18:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087890625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.