Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Wed, 13 July 2005 02:21 Go to next message
Where should I start looking to diagnose the source of the problem?

I assume it might be the heater tap or something, but I don't know.

I think I remember reading that the climate control units use vacuum pressure to operate, is this correct?

I can set it all the way up on 32 degrees, but it just doesn't get hot!

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 05:47]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Air con doesnt get hot in GZ20 soarer Wed, 13 July 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from recollection (my only local references are an MZ10 an MZ61) climate control uses vacuum to:
-mix hot/cold air in the internal airbox by means of a vacuum-dashpot-operated vane
-control hot water flow into the internal heat exchanger

there is a relay under the bonnet that controls power to a VSV that in turn supply vacuum to the water tap mounted on the firewall

is also needs to sense the coolant temp (on the ma61 there's two temp sensors downstream of the water tap) so if those sensors are not wired up it assumes there is no hot water and wont open the valve.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Air con doesnt get hot in GZ20 soarer Wed, 13 July 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and when you find the answer... please tell me cos mine does it too Confused

Dan
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Air con doesnt get hot in GZ20 soarer Wed, 13 July 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mines oposite, it only puts out hot air. Me thinks i need the aircon regassed.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Air con doesnt get hot in GZ20 soarer Wed, 13 July 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster is on the right track.

The title of this thread is quite confusing tho! Maybe you should say your climate control isn't heating? Would make more sense (that's if I've interpreted it correctly...)

The system as far as I know it uses a temp sensor to trigger a VSV (vacumm switching valve) via a relay located in the passenger side foot well I believe (I don't know any of this first hand, so take this information as clinical only)...

The first place I would be checking is that if you are getting voltage to the VSV that controls the heater valve (the heater valve is vacuum controlled in this setup), the heater valve is bolted to the firewall with two bolts and has two water hoses going into it, and of course the input for the vacuum on the top of it. I'd check this with a multimeter...if there is no voltage here the options as I see it are that
- the relay is not working
- there is no voltage getting to the relay (suspect temp sensor or wiring in this case)
- I believe there is a fuse for the relay as well, this might be blown.

That about all the help I can offer, just to say it again I haven't actually investigated how the system works properly, this is just how I think it works off the top of my head...

Feel free to correct me Smile
Cheers
Wilbo

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Wed, 13 July 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i shall investigate what you have suggested on the weekend.

car's still not being used much as I STILL havent got a window... i knew it would be difficult to find one, but didn't think it would be this difficult. Confused
snail
Regular

March 2004
Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, in a few words. If you look on the firewall on the passenger side (inside the engine bay), there is a valve with 3 vac hoses going into it. No hot air is because the valve has stopped working and it does not open the tap. Which is shit in winter. Easy fix is to by pass the valve and connect the vac hose directly to the tap. Catch is the tap is always on. But you wont get any complaints during in winter. Cheers
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snail wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 13:37

Guys, in a few words. If you look on the firewall on the passenger side (inside the engine bay), there is a valve with 3 vac hoses going into it. No hot air is because the valve has stopped working and it does not open the tap. Which is shit in winter. Easy fix is to by pass the valve and connect the vac hose directly to the tap. Catch is the tap is always on. But you wont get any complaints during in winter. Cheers

ohhh if this works you are truly a god amongst men

I shall check tonight
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Air con doesnt get hot in GZ20 soarer Thu, 14 July 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 15:14

The title of this thread is quite confusing tho! Maybe you should say your climate control isn't heating? Would make more sense (that's if I've interpreted it correctly...)

Feel free to correct me Smile
Cheers
Wilbo

I would say that Air-con is still a fair call; hot can be a condition of air. Wink

When you say air con most people do tend to think of cooling, though. Razz
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i changed it anyway to avoid confusion.

Smile
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another possibility is that the heater core shat itself and someone's done the dodgy and bypassed it.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica_John wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 15:48

another possibility is that the heater core shat itself and someone's done the dodgy and bypassed it.

......which means if i reroute that vacuum line then water's gonna piss out everywhere into the cabin out of the heatercore?

That better not happen hey....
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 15:50

Celica_John wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 15:48

......which means if i reroute that vacuum line then water's gonna piss out everywhere into the cabin out of the heatercore?

That better not happen hey....

I think what celica john means is that there is an "input" water hose and a "output" water hose, removing them (essentally just joining them together) will bypass the heatercore therefore not allowing any heat to be produced.

The reason someone would do this is because the hearter core leaks, and its a very tedious job to replace it. Mate had the same problem in his GZ20 soarer.

Cheers
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My GZ20 soarer climate control does not produce any hot air Thu, 14 July 2005 22:46 Go to previous message
I see what you mean.

there may be a genuine reason why I don't have heat!

Well I'll have a good look at it tomorrow anyway, I tried to do some stuff with it yesterday however it was pitch black when i was at home, only light being a mobile phone's torch! so I'll save it as a day job.

Cheers
James
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Alternator not charging but no charge light
Next Topic:megasquirt ecu???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:06:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057940483093262 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.