Toymods » Tech & Conversions » URGENT, advice needed ASAP

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon4.gif  URGENT, advice needed ASAP Wed, 13 July 2005 10:20 Go to next message
Hey guys, had a real shock this arvo, took the hybrid (2T/3T) out of the car to fix oil leaks, i had preveously did this less than a week ago to fix the leak, but it go worse. Anyway, we took it out, took the sump off and a piece of piston was sitting in the sump Shocked , its one of the couterweights of the number 2 piston. Ive only driven the car twice since it was last taken out due to the amount of oil leaking out (last thing i needed was a yellow). From my knowledge it is rare for this part to fail as it really doesnt have any stress on it. We think that when it was originally machined that the guy either drop the piston or clamped it too tight. The question is, what can i do about it?? Crying or Very Sad during the 2 times i drove it nothing happened, no loss of power or adverse noise. What do you think i should do?? Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_dwwes/pics/bit1.jpg
http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_dwwes/pics/bit2.jpg

this a large pic ~1.4MB of the piston b4 install, part which broke is indicated
http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_dwwes/pics/break.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: URGENT, advice needed ASAP Wed, 13 July 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i would imagine you would replace it otherwise it will not work as it was meant to. if you left it, i would imagine it would wear out or break prematurely.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: URGENT, advice needed ASAP Wed, 13 July 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piston skirt.

from the other site's pic, this thing really looks like a piston from a long stroke truck engine.
i have no experience with a 2/3T.
which side is it from?? both are important, but one side gets a lot more load on it during the power stroke. on all RWD/FR engines, they rotate clockwise when looking at the front(flywheel is counter CW), and the right side gets that load.

it may last a long time, but i wouldn't chance it. probably dropped - cast is brittle.
it also shows the importance of piston balance!! Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: URGENT, advice needed ASAP Wed, 13 July 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes piston skirt, couldnt remember the proper name, i think it was on the intake side but ill confirm that in the morning. Im not sure as to wat im going to do about it, luckily there are no score marks on the bore so block shouldnt need anything done to it. My worst nightmare, ive been babying this engine since we built it not long ago, havnt even hit 5 1/2 grand. But yeah looking like im gonna have to get another piston machined and installed aarrrrrrrgggg Mad
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: URGENT, advice needed ASAP Thu, 14 July 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just checked, it is was the exhaust side skirt of piston 2 that broke
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: URGENT, advice needed ASAP Thu, 14 July 2005 04:18 Go to previous message
keep engine out of car
strip down
replace broken piston
check other pistons for signs of damage
re-balance engine
replace rings if needed and hone bores if required

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:auto to manual conversion tips...
Next Topic:Plz Help Identify this! Pics inside
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:38:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047330856323242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.