Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 05:58 Go to next message
ok so some of u know, others dont, i sent in a letter to speed mag a while back about a stupid un-educated comment they made... lets start at the begining shall we?

Dear Speed,

First of all, great mag, read it every month, love it, and its only getting better. Now, the reason I'm writing. I'd like to make a correction on a response to an email enquiry about car choice in issue 21 page 105. The comment is made "While the Suabru and Celica GT-FOUR have plenty of rally cred, their respective transmissions are made of glass, and when (rather than if,) they do go bang, can be extremely expensive to fix." I would like to reference a few sites for u, www.fensport.co.uk first of all which has a number of fast GT-Fours regularly drag raced, including a corolla running GT-Four gear with 650+bhp and a 10.66 ¼ mile, all on stock transmission gear. Secondly I would like to reference http://www.gtfour.ca/race.html , all fast GT-Fours with stock trannies. Last, but not least, I would like to point out that in my entire time being involved in the GT4/Celica community at www.toymods.org.au, www.alltrac.net, www.celicatech.net, www.ozcelica.com and www.GT4oc.net I have never once heard of a GT4 Box going "bang" despite relentless abuse (as mine itself does suffer). In conclusion I do however concede the point that the synchros are weak, and do seem to wear earlier than other similar vehicles, this however is another story entirely.

Yours sincerely Beej

then i read this months issue, found mine and Stu's letter. it would seem they are still stoooooooooopid

this was their reply

"some anomalies there Beej - 485KW-plus (650 plus horsepower) in a GT4 makes a 0-400 metre time much faster than 10.66 sec. Our bet is that with that much power on tap, a GT4 would make mush of the toyota cog-box. Synchro failure leads directly to gear failure, as in the case of the mysterious GTR thrid gear explosions which are without fail caused by the synchro disintergrating on a third gear shift."

so theyre getting the following letter, as a reply to that reply

Dear speed,

Id like to reply to your reply in issue 22 page 115. "Our bet is that with that much power on tap, a GT4 would make mush of the toyota cog-box." Now the reason I cited references for u in my first letter was to prove the point. Your "bet" is of no interest to me considering I have cold hard "evidence" to the contrary. I'm afraid I didnt mention synchro "failure" which I do agree leads to gear failure, I did however refer to the WEAR of said items. I would be very happy if u could actually GO to www.fensport.co.uk, click on the link on ur lefthand side that states "Fensport Cars", and then read the specs on the corolla with GT4 running gear your telling me can't possibly do that without breaking its gearbox. Then follow its THREE YEAR HISTORY, during which the only gearbox change was for different ratios.

I also hate to break it to you but a 1/4 mile time is subject to far more things than engine power and car.ie weight, reaction time, gear ratios, conditions, clutch powerband, traction and so forth. The only reason I pursue this is u are misinforming the public, which severely disheartens me for a mag as respected as urs, and because its giving ppl the wrong impression about a car I do love.

Kind Regards, Beej

let us see what ensues

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:12]

Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting...

188 mph does seem very high for a 10 second car, not saying it's not possible though, but it would indicate that the the car has the potential to run much quicker if it is true.

Quote:

I also hate to break it to you but a ¼ mile time is subject to far more things than engine power and car….ie weight, reaction time, gear ratios, conditions, clutch powerband, traction and so forth.

If you are writing a letter to try and point out a problem to people like this it is best to not add more things for them to pick on you about eg. reaction time does not have any bearing on your time or mph at the drags (not sure if it does in "heads-up racing" but that's not what we are talking about). Clutch powerband? WTF?? I will assume a comma was meant to go between the two.

I also hope you sent them a better, edited version without the SMS slang:

Quote:

u are

Quote:

as respected as urs

Quote:

its giving ppl
Rolling Eyes

Rumour has it that Speed is no longer anyway so if that is true you probably won't get a response Crying or Very Sad

I wouldn't worry too much, no one I know with a WRX has busted a box and my mates treat them like paddock bashers, flat changing, clutch dumping launches etc, they have had them for years too.

We know not to believe everything we read, those who do don't deserve a GT4 anyway Wink
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably nothing will ensue, due to the fact that speed's last issue has already been released
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did the 188mph quarter come from i couldn't find it on the site? cause thats really high speed for a 10 sec quarter when other cars r doin 10 second runs @ 125-130mph
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You tell the fuckers, I hate when people twist words around like that...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently they replied to me as well in the same article - as beej is telling me now and STILL managed to stuff it up Smile

they quote most gt4's in oz are st165's

Where the HELL are they pulling these facts from ????

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 19:16

Where the HELL are they pulling these facts from ????

FF forums?
Laughing
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's how I avoid these problems. I avoid reading rubbish magazines.

Speed isn't exactly what I'd call a respected magazine, in fact the only issue I own is the one that has Justens GT4 in it and reading the rest of the magazine made me feel dirty. What does clothing fashion have to do with a modified car magazine.

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess what frustrates here is two people - who obviously know a little bit about Gt4's , being responded to in a manner thats still wrong ..

my letter was basically a hey guys they are not that fragile , yet they still manage to cock up by saying mose gt4's are st165 ..

I mean really i know of - what 10 , maybe 20 if that in oz

the st185 owners alone on this forum would easily priove this wrong , just with a hands up
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 19:33

Here's how I avoid these problems. I avoid reading rubbish magazines.

Speed isn't exactly what I'd call a respected magazine, in fact the only issue I own is the one that has Justens GT4 in it and reading the rest of the magazine made me feel dirty. What does clothing fashion have to do with a modified car magazine.

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy.

i agree altho its a nicely presented mag i find the substance of their stories lacking and the tech areticles boring....

The latest issue is very hard to read especially the pink s15 drift car story (if you can call it that) the only reason i buy it is because the news agent near work dosent stock hpi zoom race etc etc and motor/wheels boars the crap outta me
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Thu, 14 July 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wrote an email to speed a while back, after they said something about "nissan's ancient cast iron block SR20" and got a bit of an apology back.

pretty poor magazine anyway, i dont think i have even read one in the newagent for a year.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Sat, 16 July 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm my experience is every car mag I have picked up has had bullshit in it about one thing or another time to time....
What mags do u guys stand by?
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Sat, 16 July 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pretty much read Zoom and HPI exclusivly, and Drift Battle if the mood catches me right, Also the same copy of Speed that Joshstix has with Justin's GT8.
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Sun, 17 July 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats this about speed "no more", i didn't see anything in the latest one about that.
anyway i quite like this magazine because it isnt full of bitches and hoe's trying to sell their wares. i sent in a letter about Fords FPV F6 being in there and how it was good or something, it got in and they actually chopped it up so it made sense. but what shits me off is when they go to all the trouble of putting a car in and dont tell you all the stats, like in the latest one the red sprinter has carbies on it nowhere does it tell you what they are, like they look like webers or somethin but GRRRR it would be easier to put a few words in.

Theres my bitchin
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Sun, 17 July 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more 165's lol i have seen 1 genuine 165 in brisbane and about 20 185's.. i see mroe 205's than 165's lol
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Speed Mag R stooooooopid Sun, 17 July 2005 13:46 Go to previous message
yeha same bread i've seen more st205's than st165...i think i've seen two maybe 3 and i was like OMG.....st185....20-30odd... i've sceen more group a st185's than st165's now that rare!!!!

and i stand by my ZOOOM mag...the one and on;y cfb gettign HPI too but i'd like too! that leaves less money to spend on the celica so it can go in zoom mag...lol

Nezza Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Guess the car (not 56k friendly)
Next Topic:Whats a good Sporty Orange ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:00:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066699981689453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.