Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hobbs
Regular

October 2002
Removal of rear tint Thu, 12 December 2002 06:25 Go to next message
hey guys

i wanna get my rear tint off because i can't see much outta my back window. Sad

Ive heard that ammonia+plastic sheet+sun will do the job, i've also heard that a hair dryer plus a large razor will work.
just wondering if anyone has had any luck doing this?
  Send a private message to this user    
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Removal of rear tint Thu, 12 December 2002 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy the blue "Polyglaze" blue window cleaner from K-Mart (I think Polyglaze calls it "Invisible Glass") Spray the whole tinted window till satuation, try to lift the whole piece off, or as much as possible, any sticky residue, spray it with the window cleaner, and carefully clean off with razor blade, these can be bought cheap from K-Mart too, careful not to cut the demistor wire, but if you do, it's no worry, get the "Silver" inked pens from Dick Smith and repair any cut circuits, good luck..
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Removal of rear tint Thu, 12 December 2002 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job shit job

i did my WHOLE VN WAGON. shit job.

in the end i found that i could remove the tint in sheets - so, pull the tint off and you're left with the glue.

then id used green plastic scotchbrite pads i think they're called, the ones for about 48c for a packet of 10 at bi-lo - and metho to clean the glue off - thats the most successful method.

otherwise it was $50 for the window tinting place to do it. next time - i'll be paying $50 - you're lucky - only one window to do.

be careful around the demister tho.

and when you're done a nice hit of windex (ammonia based) to get any excess glue off you may have missed is a good idea.
hobbs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Removal of rear tint Sat, 14 December 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega - looks like your prognosis of 'shit job' was correct Mad
the first layer is easy enough to get off, its just the second layer that's the pain. Once that's off then the glue comes off nicely. I managed a few square cm's of the second layer in an hour or so and then said 'fuck it'.

i'll cave in and take it to a tinting place.

ta
PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

Re: Removal of rear tint Sun, 15 December 2002 00:40 Go to previous message
my little bro did it once on his car, took 2 days to do 2 windows, i walked up and picked a window, and it peeled off in one hit (less than 2 minutes)... one bit sheet... so i figured i had done a days work, and left him too it... he was pissed, kerro/metho made it easier.
but shit for $50, it's works out cheaper for someone else to do it, I like to think my time is worth $100 hr (i never get paid that though).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3T GTE, how many KW's??
Next Topic:Diff selection sv21
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:25:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044519901275635 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.