Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 02 sensor question?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
02 sensor question? Thu, 21 July 2005 11:44 Go to next message
Alright i searched the forums but nothing came up with the answer i needed...
I got my exhaust made up the other week on my ke25 4age and i asked the guy to put the 02 sensor in, but he forgot. I just needed a flange put on the hole for the 02 sensor to bolt the sensor in, but there is already a thread fitting for another type of 02 sensor.
So i was wondering, would i be able to get another type of 02 sensor with the same fitting on the extractors that would work with the stock computer? or would i have to get a flange put on and use original 02 sensor?
Cheers
Michael
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 02 sensor question? Thu, 21 July 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, any narow band sensor will do.
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 02 sensor question? Fri, 22 July 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright cool thanks Stuart,
Michael
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 02 sensor question? Sun, 24 July 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ALso what is a narrow band sensor?
Cheers
Michael
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 02 sensor question? Sun, 24 July 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
google this "what is a narrowband O2 sensor"

or.. from <http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/manual/mwire.htm#ego>

"Narrow band O2 sensors are designed to measure stoichiometric [chemically correct] air/fuel mixtures [A/F] of 14.7:1 to allow catalytic converters to work efficiently. Narrow band sensors always have one wire for the sensing function. Additional wires are for the heater and its ground (3 wire sensor), and possibly an additional wire to ground the sensor itself (4 wire). The sensor needs to be quite hot to operate. The heater keeps the sensor at operating temperature under more conditions.

Examples are:

Standard Motor Products SG5 (~$18) is a one-wire sensor for a mid-eighties Chevrolet; the mating connector is S554
Bosch 12014 is a one-wire sensor for Buick Grand Nationals
AC DELCO AFS75 is a four-wire sensor; PT368 is the matching 'pigtail' connector for splicing into your harness (from a 95 Corvette 5.7l V8). You can also get this as a Walker 4-wire OEM replacement pn# 250-24012, priced ~$50 (black connector end), or the Walker 4-wire UNIVERSAL replacement is pn# 250-24000, priced ~$49 (solder/crimp wire ends)
Bosch 13942 is a heated sensor for Ford 5.0L V8 Mustangs

The difference between the heated (3 or 4 wire) O2 sensor and a non-heated (one wire) sensor is the A/F ratio sensing of warm up and low load conditions. The heated sensor uses an internal coil to heat the ceramic element to the desired 400° Celsius in 30 or 40 seconds. This temperature is also maintained when the car is at idle for extended periods of time or is under low load conditions where the exhaust gas temperatures fall below 400° C.

Under other operating conditions the exhaust gas temperature will be much greater than 400° C. and heating is not necessary. The non-heated sensor relies on the exhaust gas heat to keep it at its operating temperature. This works most of the time but there is still times that it might drop below its desired operating temperature and show a leaner than actual mixture as its output drops to zero.

A 1-wire sensor is as good as a 3-wire provided that it is always at operating temperature. If you cruise around for a bit with the engine at low load, the O2 sensor COULD cool down. If you do not have exhaust gas temperature (EGT_ monitoring then you cannot be sure. Once warm, a 3-wire O2 sensor will stay warm. For most of us the one wire will prove to be adequate. A 4-wire has a shielded cable. You only need to ground the shield at one end. In many installations there is not enough voltage drop from the manifold to ground to make shielding worth the bother, but every little helps. So the more wires the O2 sensor has, the more situations in which the sensor will be active and accurate, but you are still stuck with knowing whether you are rich or lean, but not by how much."
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 02 sensor question? Sun, 24 July 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright sweet thanks for that,
Cheers
Michael
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: 02 sensor question? Sun, 24 July 2005 04:28 Go to previous message
OR a VN commodore 2wire O2 Sensor shold do the job as well. They're about 80 bucks brand new. I dont know about the fittings though. I remember a random exhaust place had heaps of fittings for 02 sensors and they gave it to me for free.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 July 2005 04:30]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Identifying my struts?
Next Topic:AE92 4AFC - Find source of leaking coolant
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 06:46:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036189556121826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.