Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Freddy510
Newcomer

July 2005
Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 01:10 Go to next message
What is the best way to do a Hiace engine change? From under using a hoist, body off, or engine in/out through the side door. I have a Hiace Commuter with a dead Torbo Diesel and will swap in a Commodore V6 or a Holden V8 and trans. Any info from people who have done a similar swap will be appreciated. I have done heaps of swaps, this is my first in a van. I have access to a 4 post hoist if needed.
Thanks guys,
Freddy
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am about to do a van engine swap and I will be dropping the crossmember then lifting the body off (no hoist access).

I feel this is MUCH easier than trying to get the engine out somehow through the top. Unless you make liberal use of an angle grinder.

Hen
Freddy510
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day Hen,
I was thinking along the same lines. Lots easier with the body out of the way and do the job from the top, especially if a V8 goes in. How are you planning to lift the body? I thought of making a jig that bolts on front and rear and lift or lots of hands. Have you got a plan?
Freddy
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate of mine needed to replace his 3Y in a Tarago, this is what we did: Big heavy duty jack stands, not the pissy things made out of square tube with a pressed metal base.

Put the van up on jacks, high as they will go, open up sliding door, put the jib of the engine crane in through this door, remove engine covers, and attach engine crane to engine. Unbolt everything, and lower the engine onto a big sheet of cardboard, or a metal drip tray.

You may have to take off the passenger side front wheel, and slide the engine out from under the van. All depends on how big your workspace is.

cheers Chuck.
Freddy510
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good Chuck, thanks for two bobs worth!
Freddy
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine crane through the door is a good way to drop the engine, I had only thought as far as a jack under the x-member and some good balancing.
Freddy510
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Hiace Engine Remove/Instal Tue, 26 July 2005 14:17 Go to previous message
I just had a thought. Why not build a lifting rig that fits across the engine bay secured to the body near each door sill to drop the engine. A couple of triangles made from square tube and a cross member welded up should do it. To move the engine forward and aft use engine lifting rig with an adjustable pivot (which you can buy or make)and for moving the engine sideways attach the chain block to a traveller that runs across the crossmember (use an I-beam). Should be easier than a crane to fine adjust when dropping the engine out and raising it back up.
What do you guys think?
Freddy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:st141 fuel tank
Next Topic:2t-g cam timing marks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 18:15:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058600902557373 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.