Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bmgtz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Sat, 13 August 2005 12:51 Go to next message
has anyone ever tried to use the speed pulse from the standard speedo on an ae92 sx 100kw to supply the speed pulse on the black top 20v computer.

the black top pulse comes from the speedo as well but Im not sure what the out put is from it. I know the speedo is electronic verses cable but outputs of this type don't usually change that much. However Im a little reluctant to just connect and try........only got one computer

has any one ever connected these two and had success? or problems

code 42 speed sensor comes on while driving hard. then it wont start when turned off even with the code deleted. when this happened it makes a weird on/off clicking noise from the dissy and ISCV. once you unplug the dissy and leave it a minute or so all is fine

any help would be appreciated

brian
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Sat, 13 August 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well with a silvertop 20V, you most definitely can use the SPD wire which comes down from the dash to the stock ECU on an AE92 SX....

In fact, on the AE101 cars, the electronic speedo sends its signal to the dash guages and then the SPD signal is generated by the speedo guage and that goes to the ECU.

unsure of how applicable this is with a blecktop
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Sun, 14 August 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the SX cluster speed sensor output works on the blacktop, it's a 4 pulse per revolution signal, the wire is the violet with white stripe one in the original SX ecu's 12 pin dash plug.
bmgtz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Sun, 14 August 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys I connected it today......didnt notice any difference in rev limit still seems to be at 8400. or there abouts just hope the cel stays off!!! and the isc valave and dissy dont develop a mind of there own again.

thanks again

brian
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Sun, 14 August 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

unsure of how applicable this is with a blecktop

Works fine in an AE82.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Mon, 15 August 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does the fuction of the ECU change if you don't have the speed sensor connected?
bmgtz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cel came on and the dissy and isc valve went into spasm until unplugged and the engine would not start...........undriveable

how ever have left these disconnected on silver tops before with no dramas maybe a black top issue only.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the cel came on and the dissy and isc valve went into spasm until unplugged and the engine would not start...........undriveable

how ever have left these disconnected on silver tops before with no dramas maybe a black top issue only.

I originally didn't have the speed sensor hooked up on mine til the wife demanded and Auto car in the house. It ran fine without, so that's strange that this has happen to you. The Auto's need this input so they don't "search" for gears while driving.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does it run if u leave dizzy unplugged

check what codes it brings up

its lik epeople are racist hehe

there is no difference between blacktops and silvertops

just airflow/map and sequential injection and non sequential

everything else is exactly the same

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow: better so some research theres heaps of differences between the two engines, all of which were listed in a tech article a while back.

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

sideshow: better so some research theres heaps of differences between the two engines, all of which were listed in a tech article a while back.

hmm, I think you need to do some research, Electrically, what this SPD connection shouldn't affect the running of the engine and the so called "heaps" aren't really what I'd call heap's mechanically or Electrically between the two. The different sensors provide different voltage levels and signals which is then read by the ecu which then runs these through certain parameters to which it varies the outputs to provide the ideal conditions for what it is "seeing" through a predetermined program.... so really if it's MAP, Airflow it doesn't care as longer as it see what it needs and changes the output. All 20V run the same sensors with only the differences as sideshow has said, ie MAP/Airflow, Sequential/Non-sequential injector drive (I'd like to see the tech article too as I have Four 20V- S/T, B/T, 50/50 and a Yager Race preped engine being picked up next week and at least every kind wiring loom etc for just any 4AGE or 4AGE 20V car) FYI Sideshow has wired more of these conversions in Sydney, (if not in all of OZ)then anyone else I know of... as it's his Cash cow and would be the one to really know 100%. Just about everyone that know and that's alot of people, recommends him up here. Even though I still haven't meet him personally, Though I did speak to him once on a couple of minor issues with my conversion that involved that auto. The work I have seen done by him speaks for itself, ie looks completely factory and has some time and thought put into it. I have seen bodgey abortions to "thank god" someone knew what they were doing! and his work do Due his knowledge and level of workmanship falls in the last category (thank god!) and I can guess pretty much that he's done the job intially and easliy trace problems back to a faulty sensor. I would recommend or get my cars done by him if I didn't have the time, as when it comes to wiring things up, I'd be the most picky bastard there is and I have he is very capable of it. If everything is neat, things are easier to trace and fixed, simple as that. If it's got bits hacked off the loom, splices everywhere and it's put together with "that'll do" attitude and something goes wrong, well? You'll always end up with problems and they take a lot longer to sort out.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking about mechanically but I guess that's not what everyone else was talking about. Electrically yes their simular. What I want to know is will my manual silver ecu limit my revs without a speed sensor?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Tue, 16 August 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was talkin electrically i dont care about mechanical stuff these days as u get to dirty hehe

anyway i dont know if its a myth or if its maybe just the automatic silver 20v ecus which have diff ecu

but some people have said they have slightly lower rev limit

and it was due to no speed sensor

i have wired up over 50 or 100 20vs in my time and never have had this prob

so i dont know what causes it so it might be a myth

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: speed sensor ae92 to 20v blacktop Wed, 17 August 2005 00:12 Go to previous message
Quote:

maybe just the automatic silver 20v ecus which have diff ecu

I think it's got something to do with the auto ECU, the one I have has got the SPD sensor hooked up, but not the OD1, OD2 or the PWR/ECO buttons and it only Revs to 7500 rpm. The full import FX-GT we bought for rallying came as a full running car with an auto! (this is where we got the auto from when we changed from a manual) and when driving it with PWR on it would rev to 8,000, if in ECO it would only go to 6,500, when it was off ie not on PWR or ECO it would go to around 7500 rpm. So I suspect this is what is going on, and as of yet, I haven't had time to finish wiring this stuff up to the Blacktop's ECU, it's only a matter of find time to fully finish wiring this stuff up and seeing the difference. I will say the biggest problem I did have was finding someone that would swap a manual ECU for and Auto, just so we could run the Box..... and then find what pinout's were what to run the Box, Lucky S/top's weren't too different.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox upgrade for AE86
Next Topic:Corona RT142 IRS in ST141
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:12:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005903959274292 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.