Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
guido
Regular

January 2005
icon10.gif  RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 07:54 Go to next message
This is mainly a thread for RA65 owners.

Was just wondering with the rising fuel costs what are 22RE owners doing to try and combat the prices? I mean the 22RE isn't exactly the most efficient engine, mine using on average about 380km to a tank Sad and that's running it on BP Ultimate. But there are some new fuels that have come out like Plus ULP which is suppose to be 94 octane.

Just wondering what people are doing, please post them up on this thread. Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the lowest i have gotten on a big freeway run to wakefield and back with a bit of city driving was 10.7L per 100km, got 11.7L on a toymods cruise to terrigal and back on windy roads using a fair bit of throttle.
Around the city i get generally between 12-15L per 100km 18L on opticrap when driven hard, but on ultimate most i have ever used is 15L per 100km, feels more responsive and gets much better economy.

Generally i run my car to uni and the station and back (short trips) and get around 300km to 40L maybe a touch less of fuel sometimes more kms depends on traffic conditions and my mood
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My users manual also recommends the car be run on 97 ron fuel, i think the rona have a knock sensor whereas the celica doesn't which also enables it to run better on normal ulp ie stop pinging but i can't be bothered.
guido
Regular

January 2005
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you run yours on regular unleaded?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it could if i wanted it too but it'd run like shit ie lower power. It's an 85 model hence its tuned to run on higher octane super.
guido
Regular

January 2005
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's what I thought. My mechanic said to me that you shouldn't run it on anything less than 98 ron, but at the mo the only fuel that has 98 ron is BP Ultimate, and that is 9c/L more than ULP, and 5c/L more than leaded so to fill 40L you are looking at about a $2 max difference between the two I spose.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to increase fuel economy whilst still maintaining performance in a 22RE please post them.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get about 350km to a 50 ltre tank and thats using either 95 octane bp premium or bp ultimate. Makes no diff what fuel i use. But if i use normal 91 octane fuel it gets about 250km a tank.

My car also has a exhaust manifold gasket leak, valve tappets need adjusting and the timing i think is out. Its a recoed 22re thats done 40,000km since rebuild
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha sucks aproaching 415000km one rebuild i think like 150-200K ago and i have the best economy.
guido
Regular

January 2005
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 21 August 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 22RE also has the same problems, valve tappets need adjusting desperately, at the mo they are so bad the engine sounds like a tractor, no major problems with the exhaust except for the other day when it decided to split so now I have to replace the entire exhaust just after I forked out $600 to put in a new steering rack. The oil rings on mine are worn aswell, cause sometimes oil comes out in the exhaust. The engine also has an idle problem, like when it is cold the engine will idle really high and you can't adjust it, and when it is hot weather or the car has been left in the heat all day it will idle really low like 500, or when the a/c is on the idle bounces, can't figure that one out. But good to see that I'm not the only one with the tappet problem.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Mon, 22 August 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
changed the oil today and its much better. used to get about 140-150km at the half tank mark, today i got 200 Very Happy
guido
Regular

January 2005
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Mon, 22 August 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I found that the type of oil you use makes a huge difference. Been using Penrite HPR 30, never been happier, really quietens the engine, unfortunately it makes the tappets louder (compared to when I was using HPR 50) but the performance definately increases, particularly in the colder weather.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sat, 08 October 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
degreased the engine, toped up the oil and pumped up my tires

that = 400km from one tank with about 30km of freeway driving, the rest was pizza delivery. Was using bp premium 95 octane and was hamering it a lot Very Happy

im giving caltex vortex a try this week and it should be quite good
micdor
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sat, 08 October 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a better flowing exhaust did wonders for fuel consumption with my 22RE. Although it was a good engine to start with, running it on bp super with the stock exhaust it averaged around 12L per 100km, 2" from the headers back bought it down to roughly 9, almost low 8's if I was being nice to it. It was better on fuel than the 4agze I've got now Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 08 October 2005 04:16]

guido
Regular

January 2005
Re: RA65/22RE fuel economy Sun, 09 October 2005 01:39 Go to previous message
Just put in a K & N filter, new tyres, new ball joints, gear and diff oil, still using BP Ultimate. Economy has lifted to 410km per tank, and when filing I have noticed that there still is about 15L of fuel left in the tank. Driving really smoothly, but still have the tappet problem which I have to sort out ASAP.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Best Pic Of RA65 Celica!!
Next Topic:MR2 AW11 specs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:52:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062918663024902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.