Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 06:35 Go to next message
I've just put a front mount intercooler on my ae82 which has a map 4agze in it. Im experiencing the problem where the car cant find its idle and just dies. This only started happening after i did the frount mount. Usually when i start up its revs to 2.5k then comes back down n stalls. when im driving around when i pull up it will drop down to 500 revs then find its way back up to 1k idle. Anyone know why its doing this? is it all the extra plumbing?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quite possibly yes.

make sure all the hoses are really really really tightened. are you running map or afm ze?

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheres the map sensor in those things? , my car will run with no intercooler piping on it at all. maybe the plug or line has disconnectd from whereever it is.?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the map sensor is just a tiny vaccum line connected to a black box near the intake side of the throttle body/firewall.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be checking that.. and your fuel Razz
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it could be something to do with too much plumbing, my old gze convo into an aw11 was doing this because of the na engine lid I had to stretch the cooler pipes across the top off the engine, down the firewall to under the gearbox. I found (well new owner did) that when driving and letting off the throttle up to traffic lights and stuff, it would tend to stall. we found this due to throttle body being the first thing in the system, it had to let air in till it filled the pipes, but when you close the throttle it stops the air, but also slows the fuel rate, while you still have all the air to get rid of, so it would often suddenly run lean and stall, well that was his theory and he knows his shit (i hope), hes an engineer.

he got around it by adding an aftermarket ecu and delaying run on times for incector cycling or something. not sure of the details
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 16:50

quite possibly yes.

make sure all the hoses are really really really tightened. are you running map or afm ze?

Im running map sensor ze with stock ecu
Ive noticed it only really stalls when i commence driving but not after ive put my foot down a few times
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 17:23

we found this due to throttle body being the first thing in the system, it had to let air in till it filled the pipes, but when you close the throttle it stops the air, but also slows the fuel rate, while you still have all the air to get rid of, so it would often suddenly run lean and stall, well that was his theory and he knows his shit (i hope), hes an engineer.

So would a blow off valve help release this excess air to maybe solve the problem? i can feel a small travel when i let go of the throttle as if air is still flowing through
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it has probably become apparent that when you first put your foot down there is a delay, and also when you lift off the engine still revs slightly. that is simply due to the longer piping.

hmm a bov may be an idea, if your is map you should't have a prob with venting the air, like we did with my afm one. don't quote me, maybe look into a bov, it may work it may not, I can't gaurentee... research it Cool
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm.. put a BOV where exactly?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 22:41

ummm.. put a BOV where exactly?

hmm buy that man a beer Surprised Laughing

good point... you couldn't put one before it goes back into the manifold? or do they have to go before the throttle body? I am not experienced with bov's or rice accessories Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 12:47]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Sun, 28 August 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Takai had the same problem with his front mount.

Get a multimeter which can measure duty cycle and hook it up across the idle motor. Get the motor to normal operating temperature, then adjust the idle bypass until the idle motor is at 50% at normal idle speed, hopefully, that should smooth it out.

It won't be perfect, but, it should be a lot better.
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Mon, 29 August 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 08:33

Takai had the same problem with his front mount.

Get a multimeter which can measure duty cycle and hook it up across the idle motor. Get the motor to normal operating temperature, then adjust the idle bypass until the idle motor is at 50% at normal idle speed, hopefully, that should smooth it out.

It won't be perfect, but, it should be a lot better.

Ok thanks,
So where exactly is the idle motor and what will i be measuring for? how do u adjust the idle bypass?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: My ze is stalling?! help Mon, 29 August 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does smooth it out somewhat. But it will never be perfect. The throttle pre-supercharger and intercooler doesnt have the best reliability in the world.

I still get that idle drop sometimes, and ive put it down to a worn idle speed stepper motor, which i really need a new one of. Although the leaning out does sound plausable, except that the EGO shows no signs of a lean condition, and it most certainly doesnt feel like it.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Mon, 29 August 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a fundamental problem of running the throttle pre-SC. There is a very long post-throttle inlet tract and so there is a large volume you need to pressurise/de-pressurrise to change the MAP. Therefore it takes a long time for changes in the idle air bypass valve to have an affect on engine speed. This is made worse by a big front mount (it increases the post-throttle volume).

It's a problem I'm happy to live with as I think a good frontmount is a good move, just learn to dab the throttle as press the clutch coming into traffic lights.

Hen
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Mon, 29 August 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So would it be benificial to adjust the idle bypass? or just learn to live with it?
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: My ze is stalling?! help Mon, 29 August 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a simple circuit that watches the tacho output, and opens an extra idle up?

Something like this
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5378 &CATID=25&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form= CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=& amp;pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SU BCATID=347

connected to a idle up from the wreckers

set it to open the air valve when you hit 750 or so.

I'd give it a go, but my car is a AFM'd GZE and no cooler, so super short piping:P Throttle response is pretty good tho Wink
One day i'll get a cooler on it, been saying it for a year now.

dan
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Mon, 29 August 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c2888 wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 19:52

How about a simple circuit that watches the tacho output, and opens an extra idle up?

That still wont fix the problem, because it'll still take a fair while for the inlet tract to gain pressure and so start to increase revs. I've played with this a fair bit and you either get stuck with a fluctuating idle (response to rpm drop too fast) or falling through idle and stalling (response too slow). The best I could do was idle at 1100 with only a slight fluctuation occasionally.

Idle bypass adjustment may improve the situation a little but it wont remove the main cause.

Hen
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
Re: My ze is stalling?! help Tue, 30 August 2005 08:08 Go to previous message
ok so how hard is it to adjust the idle bypass?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PLZ Help:4AGE squirting oil all over bonnet???WTF??
Next Topic:1G AFM vs 7M AFM
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:07:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064709186553955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.