Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

4AGTE - New pics Thu, 26 December 2002 09:01 Go to next message
The 4AGTE is now comfortably sitting in the engine bay, and has been getting a flogging for the last week Very Happy

Its a dream to drive off boost, and a weapon once the turbo starts really spooling Evil or Very Mad The 4AGZE bottom end with 8.9:1 compression ratio has plenty of torque off boost to pull the car around town as a daily driver, and the CT26/TO4 turbo really gets the car moving from 4000rpm onwards, screaming to 7200rpm where the rev limit is currently set.

Here's a couple of new pics of the turbo manifold that was fabricated, and the complete motor in the car.

http://www.geocities.com/te72_turbo/4AGTE_bay1.htm l

http://www.geocities.com/te72_turbo/4AGTE_top.html

http://www.geocities.com/te72_turbo/4AGTE_turboman ifold.html

Cheers
Phil
  Send a private message to this user    
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Thu, 26 December 2002 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Phil,

The engine setup looks really neat, who did the pipe work/heat shields etc?

Has it been on dyno yet??

cheers
ASh
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Thu, 26 December 2002 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Ash, how's the 1GGTE sprinter going?

I did nearly all of the work with this conversion, from wiring to engine mount & pipework fabrication. It has helped to keep the cost way down.

It hasn't been on the dyno yet, but will be booked in as soon as the workshops get back after new years.

FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: 4AGTE - New pics Thu, 26 December 2002 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the car engineered?
So far no one in Newcastle will engineer a 4AGTE in a car later then 197or77 i cant remember
BTW it looks good in the engine bay Very Happy
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Thu, 26 December 2002 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good phil - i like your design of the turbo manifold - any reason why you didn't collect all four runners where the turbo mounts as opposed to running em into the two runners like you did?

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Phil,

That really is very nice work, looks very neat.

FLY PSI, is that true what you said about having issues with getting an engineers certificate? A turbo 1.6 would not be out of the upgrade scope laid out by the ADRs so I would love to know what their (the engineers) reasons are.

Cheers all
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy: There reasioning is that the engine never came out factory with a turbo bolted to it Sad ,and they need to have factory management to comply with the ADR's or there is two aftermarket brands that you can go for,MoTEC or Autronic.Because they have a lock out design where some of them need a code to be adjusted(They dont give this code to the customer, only to the tuner) then the car is put on the EPA's dyno to make sure that it complys with all the relevant laws Sad Sad
All the above infomation was obtained from some of the local engineers in Newcastle
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

any reason why you didn't collect all four runners where the turbo mounts as opposed to running em into the two runners like you did?

I had originally intended to make the manifold with all 4 runners collecting at the turbo flange, but with the room I [didnt] have, it turned out to be far more complex than I wanted it to be. I couldnt go downwards and then bend back up 180 degrees with the pipes because of the oil filter below (I know I could have got a remote filter, but cost was a factor with the conversion) and with a turbo as physically large as the CT26, I was running out of options other than to run them 4-2 like I did.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 December 2002 01:39]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool dude. Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak mmmm....... very nice...Smile

have you got any pic's of what type of idler wheel set-up you used for the water pump belt??? (i presume custom made), so the alt could stay on the exhaust side.....

i like your manifold too... cool design..Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in regards to getting a car engineered have you thought about using a 4agze removing the supercharger and fitting the turbo and running low boost so that the computer can handle it.. then fitting an aftermarket afterwoulds.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oooh that looks sweet, you've done a great job there.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Fri, 27 December 2002 18:11

in regards to getting a car engineered have you thought about using a 4agze removing the supercharger and fitting the turbo and running low boost so that the computer can handle it.. then fitting an aftermarket afterwoulds.

The engineer told me that because it didnt come out with a turbo i would not be able to do it that way Sad
Im now not worried as i have now got a TA22 for the conversion and i can put it in with an aftermaket computer Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

have you got any pic's of what type of idler wheel set-up you used for the water pump belt??? (i presume custom made), so the alt could stay on the exhaust side.....

The idler pulley is from a nissan RB20DET. It has an off centre hole for the bolt so that you can just rotate it to adjust the belt tension. It is simply bolted to a plate that attaches to the drivers side engine mount. Its pretty agricultural really, just half an hour or so with some scrap steel & a welder. It doesnt have to tension the belt with any great force, as its only driving the water pump.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Fri, 27 December 2002 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks fly,

Oh yes the precious EPA (they forget that the pollutants generated to make a new car will add up to about ten years worth of keeping your old car going...... Confused ) I see what you mean now. Just nice to know that Newcastle engineers are now off my list.

Very Happy
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Sat, 28 December 2002 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, so all the commodores & falcon's with blower kits cant be engineered, neither can the turbo 250 crossflow 6's in cortinas and falcons, nor the lexus quad cam V8's, nor the turbo kitted excels etc.etc? Thats a hell of a lot of cars that people have built that cant be engineered but go through rego every year.

I hope I dont have any problems! Shocked

Thanks all for the comments

[Updated on: Sat, 28 December 2002 08:05]

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Sun, 29 December 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude you are god Very Happy how did you get the cam/rocker cover so clean ?

Very tidy install dude
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Sun, 29 December 2002 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cam covers are painted in two pack silver Smile very durable, and saves me having to keep re-polishing them if they were still bare aluminium.

Phil
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The topic of engineering your car has never been a very popular one here. No one seems to be able to give a comprehensive answer.

but in response to :
" OK, so all the commodores & falcon's with blower kits cant be engineered, neither can the turbo 250 crossflow 6's in cortinas and falcons, nor the lexus quad cam V8's, nor the turbo kitted excels etc.etc? Thats a hell of a lot of cars that people have built that cant be engineered but go through rego every year. "

I think that the popular blower kits for the v6 commies and excels etc.. have had full emissions testing completed by the manufacturer.

there is nothing stopping people putting turbos on 4agze's doing this, its just the cost involved for the emmissions testing - how much? I have no idea.

FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is what i was getting at! as i said in an earlier post it can be put on the EPA's dyno to check if it complys to there emission laws..
I have heard from a tuner in Newcastle that it cost about $1000 for the testing to be done Shocked , but then if the car doesnt comply then you have just wasted that money! and have to get the car retuned and tested again at your cost!!
68rolla
Regular

August 2002
Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have any problems with the oil breather? I had 1 on my 4agte and because of the pressure from the turbo oil was getting forced out of the dizzy! I just ran a hose from the top of the rocker covers to the air inlet just infront of the turbo.
Do you drive around with the cam gears exposed? They look cool but snaping a timing belt is expencive stuff.

P.S Very neat install Smile
Cheers
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cover over the timing gears is fitted for everyday use Smile It just looks better without it in pics. Its not really expensive to break a timing belt, the 4AGE's have a non-interference head, so no valves can contact the pistons even at TDC & full lift.

Currently a small filter is fitted to the cam cover oil breather, until I finish making the catch can.

Cheers
Phil
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak last time i seen Bill Sherwood's ge, it had the cam covers and backing plate removed, so the cams where just 'out' there.....
it looked real gnarly..Evil or Very Mad

when i swap my inlet cam with my spare exhaust one, i will probably leave my backing plate off too.........
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the backing plate has the markers to set the cam timing though....
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Mon, 30 December 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak ahhhhhhhh............
there are ways around it.... Smile

rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Wed, 01 January 2003 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 31 December 2002 10:52

Freak ahhhhhhhh............
there are ways around it.... Smile

And what would that be John.

TE72_Turbo have you had any troubles with your sweet 4AGTE?
The compression is fine for a turbo etc??
I'm looking at doing something simular.
What your ECU cost ya??

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Wed, 01 January 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No troubles yet, it runs very sweetly, and the 8.9:1 compression is fine with 12psi of boost at the moment, and makes a real difference off boost compared to the 3TGTE which it replaced with only 7.8:1 compression.

The haltech ECU set me back approx $1950 including sensors, flying lead loom, connectors, map sensor, coil packs & ignitor module.

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE - New pics Wed, 01 January 2003 08:23 Go to previous message
Freak well brett,
the knock pin on the inlet cam is to be at 12 o'clock.. and also on the inlet cam there is a dimple that lines up with the straight edge of the oil filler neck, when the engine is a TDC......
the exhaust cam knock pin is to be at 5 o'clock.....
you could also mark the head, where the lines that line the actual cam pulley's up go, if you wanted to...

Smile

oh yeah, another easy way would be to mark your timming belt and the cams with a white marker, and the crankshaft timming belt pulley, put it all back in the same spot and you couldnt go wrong.... Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 01 January 2003 08:28]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2S Corona info
Next Topic:5mge cams
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:01:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058269500732422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.